Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2015, 2:40 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K , HH DIAMOND, MARRIOTT PLATINUM
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
upload it to a hosting site like imagebam.com

Click on the picture once its hosted, and then right click to grab the hyperlink, and then dump that on here. The hyperlink should end in a picture file extension (.png, jpg etc)
That sounds like a lot of work, can I txt it to someone and they can post it??

Yes I've had to work this weekend and I'm lazy...
Old Mar 21, 2015, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Klove007
Found another zone 6 sign in YSJ today... I have an image but I don't know how to upload it...
This is hilarious... maybe Zone 6 is for the leftovers?
Old Mar 21, 2015, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Klove007
That sounds like a lot of work, can I txt it to someone and they can post it??

Yes I've had to work this weekend and I'm lazy...
I'm assuming the hosting part is where you are lazy because everything else after that is really easy... even for us lazy people
Old Mar 21, 2015, 7:03 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Here is the image:

Old Mar 21, 2015, 7:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Someone remind me, what's Zone 6?
Old Mar 21, 2015, 7:06 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Those caught trying to board when their zones haven't been called, such as a zone 2 trying to board with zone 1
Old Mar 21, 2015, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So AC is adding an additional zone (6) and yet still not ensuring that Zone 1 boarding is done properly across all stations...

LAZY GAs.

Period.

Any GAs lurking here who want to state why they decide to make up their own rules???

hmmm?????!

The YOW GA duo tandem no invited to respond since you two are the worst of the worst cow dung of AC. You should be fired.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 5:17 am

Programs: AC SEMM
Special - penguins only need apply Penguins are special
Old Mar 22, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: AC*SE100K, AC*MM, Marriott Platinum Elite
Some confusion at SXM Saturday

SXM contract gate agents clearly confused by the new zoned boarding approach yesterday, boarding AC Rouge 1809 to YYZ yesterday. It's a 767...

They called "zone 1", but were clearly surprised that some economy passengers would come forward. They were expecting only to board "business class", and that's what they explained as they turned away numerous SE's and their families. In a few cases they explained that the cleaners hadn't finished with the economy section, so they couldn't board anyone outside of "business class".

That of course led to some "don't you know who I am" behavior in a few cases, but overall it was resolved by having the economy-class zone-1's wait a few extra minutes until economy was ready for boarding.

Sounds like a bit of extra training for SXM staff would alleviate the confusion.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sweden05

That of course led to some "don't you know who I am" behavior in a few cases, but overall it was resolved by having the economy-class zone-1's wait a few extra minutes until economy was ready for boarding.
Does DYKWIA include making sure that the GAs actually know the rules (polite or rude)? I try to do that sometimes or ask questions in a way to see if they get their illogical stance or ignorance of the rules/protocol.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 3:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by sweden05
SXM contract gate agents clearly confused by the new zoned boarding approach yesterday, boarding AC Rouge 1809 to YYZ yesterday. It's a 767...

They called "zone 1", but were clearly surprised that some economy passengers would come forward. They were expecting only to board "business class", and that's what they explained as they turned away numerous SE's and their families. In a few cases they explained that the cleaners hadn't finished with the economy section, so they couldn't board anyone outside of "business class".

Sounds like a bit of extra training for SXM staff would alleviate the confusion.
Sounds like better, more comprehensive training materials are needed - so I blame Air Canada.

Seriously, how hard is it to follow this very basic system???

Either the training stinks, or these (not SXM per se, but every agent who can't get this right) are some of the dumbest human beings on earth.

I cannot think of one single viable excuse for getting this process wrong.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 7:12 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I cannot think of one single viable excuse for getting this process wrong.
You're making it sound very easy to follow the system - but it's not, it's actually very complicated for the GA's.

Let's say there is a whole group of passengers waiting to board, all with different zone numbers. Some of those zone numbers are high, some are low - some are even, some are odd. Really, is it realistic for a GA to even know how to start?

OK, you say "start with zone 1".... although, really, who's going to remember that "rule".... but even then, what about all those other passengers who also want to board? Some are zone "2", some are possibly cleaning staff - it's all so complicated.

It's far easier for a GA to make up their own rules.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canopus27
You're making it sound very easy to follow the system - but it's not, it's actually very complicated for the GA's.

Let's say there is a whole group of passengers waiting to board, all with different zone numbers. Some of those zone numbers are high, some are low - some are even, some are odd. Really, is it realistic for a GA to even know how to start?

OK, you say "start with zone 1".... although, really, who's going to remember that "rule".... but even then, what about all those other passengers who also want to board? Some are zone "2", some are possibly cleaning staff - it's all so complicated.

It's far easier for a GA to make up their own rules.
Zone boarding is done perfectly, and I mean perfectly, at NRT and HND.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 7:27 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Zone boarding is done perfectly, and I mean perfectly, at NRT and HND.
You see how simple you make that sound?

Not everyone can follow a linear system! I'm here to defend those poor GA's who were never taught the "numeric" scale. They are doing their best, and I think you should just appreciate their best efforts.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 7:36 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K, AC*MM, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Either the training stinks, or these (not SXM per se, but every agent who can't get this right) are some of the dumbest human beings on earth.
Well I witnessed how four separate gate agents at SXM were totally stunned that zone 1 could include passengers in economy... So I vote for poor training instead of stupidity. And that's why I didn't join the "don't you know who I am" crowd. The gate agents' simple "business class" boarding suddenly turned into chaos because of poor training. And you know, I still got to board ahead of zone 2. So it was in no way with throwing a fit over, but it was still chaotic.

Last edited by sweden05; Mar 22, 2015 at 7:37 pm Reason: Added last sentence...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.