YYZ-SYD ... great deal or not ???

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2002, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: None. I'm cured.
YYZ-SYD ... great deal or not ???

Hi Guys,
Long time lurker -first time poster....

Just noticed on Expedia that AC is offering yyz-syd at the low,low price of $1099 plus usual taxes. Travel between 23 Sept - 7 Dec. Of course I found this approx. 5 minutes after booking the same itin on UA....for more $$.

There may be a catch of course:

To: Sydney, N.S.W., Australia (SYD-Kingsford Smith)
Fare Basis Code: QSHARECP
QSHARECP R 1099.00
ELIGIBILITY - ADT-ADULT
ACCOM PSGR - REQD ON ALL SEGMENTS
REQD IN SAME COMPARTMENT BY QSHARECN
TYPE FARES
TVL RESTR - OUTBOUND MUST BEGIN ON/BEFORE 30NOV 02
RETURN COMPLETED BY 07DEC02 MIDNIGHT
SALES RESTR - TKT 16SEP02-10OCT02
TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED AT SAME TIME

Does this mean I have to buy 2 tickets to get this price?

Just wondering. AC does not seem to know too much about this yet.

MCM.
Old Sep 14, 2002, 9:59 pm
Original Member

Location: New York - DL Gold, AA Gold, AC Prestige, VS Silver
Edited to eliminate stupidity.

[This message has been edited by megamiles (edited 09-15-2002).]
Old Sep 14, 2002, 10:23 pm

it sounds like it is some kind of ticket
for 2 people judging by the fare basis
and saying tickets must be issued at the
same time and must have same itinerary.
$1099.00 is a good deal but you may have
to purchase another ticket which may be
higher. You should check into this.
Old Sep 15, 2002, 10:14 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
This is a special companion fare. One passenger has to pay the regular fare (QSHARE) of CAD$2099 and the companion pays (QSHARECP) CAD$1099. A pretty good deal if there are two passengers travelling together. Both tickets have to be issued at the same time.
Old Sep 15, 2002, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyerAl:
This is a special companion fare. One passenger has to pay the regular fare (QSHARE) of CAD$2099 and the companion pays (QSHARECP) CAD$1099. A pretty good deal if there are two passengers travelling together. Both tickets have to be issued at the same time.</font>
Yes, I believe this matches an Air New Zealand companion offer. Stick with UA and don't pay any premium to fly AC, in fact I think a small premium to fly UA is appropriate.

Old Sep 15, 2002, 12:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
And welcome, officially to FT, Minicooperman. Cool handle.
Old Sep 15, 2002, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all,

It is as I suspected.

I probably fly YYZ-SYD at least 8 times a year. Can't remember the last time I was on AC metal. The combination of AC zeroing out C and the "Honolulu Shuffle" just about make me crazy. At least with UA I'm assured some comfort in E+ or with NZ....the best FA's in the business.

I think I'm growing old before my time on this route.

MCM.
Old Sep 15, 2002, 1:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Wow, 8 times a year YYZ-SYD. May I boldy ask if business or pleasure?
Old Sep 15, 2002, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tcook052:
Wow, 8 times a year YYZ-SYD. May I boldy ask if business or pleasure?</font>
In a few words.....
Canadian boy meets Australian girl. They get married. Girl is a MD in Oz, boy has business in Canada. Girl can't easily work in Canada without jumping through hoops while boy has to still take care of business. Stand by to see how this story ends. In the mean time it's the (almost) monthly commute........

Perfect marriage though.......

MCM.
Old Sep 15, 2002, 3:14 pm
ALW

I expect you've ruled this out already, but have you considered continuing west from SYD on a RTW ticket? Might be worth getting status on oneworld as well as to get AA's MRTC and have more options.

Just a thought, I'm sure there are reasons it wouldn't work/

andrew
Old Sep 15, 2002, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
I agree. The AA YYZ-LAX non-stop (B-737-800) is an excellent flight! They even serve food in coach
Old Sep 15, 2002, 5:35 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Minicooperman:
Girl is a MD in Oz, boy has business in Canada. </font>
With your handle why not try and find employment somewhere neutral... such as THE ITALIAN JOB (apologies in advance).
Old Sep 15, 2002, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Tractor Boy:
With your handle why not try and find employment somewhere neutral... such as THE ITALIAN JOB (apologies in advance).</font>
Tractor Boy: Apology noted! If Noel Coward were still with us, that comment would have had you in cement shoes before you finished typing!

Actually, I've thought about this quite a lot in the last year what with AC and all their cutbacks. Based on my experience, I would choose UA E+ or NZ over Qantas anyday. Maybe I just have not had the best luck with them. (I was Oneworld Emerald in the good 'ol days of CP) Also, because I have to fly to Europe a few times every year, it is just easier to stay with AP.
UA might not have the best service but you cannot argue with the extra bit of room in E+ (I'm 6'2") and NZ...well, I just think that they are the most friendly and helpful bunch!

As for a RTW, it just takes too long. Also, because I am frequently on a discounted economy fare, my choices from SYD are limited (being the points pig that I am). SQ gives me nothing and LH only 50%. That only leaves TG to Europe...not always convenient or comfortable.

MCM.

Old Sep 15, 2002, 8:10 pm
ALW

Tractor Boy, well done!

andrew
Old Sep 16, 2002, 1:25 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

Minicooperman, you might want to fly CX via HKG. You'll get almost 25K Q miles for this trip. (4 of these trips [and 4 AA metal flights] will earn you ExP on AA) You can get some pretty good fares from an Asian travel agent for this route.

This fare is usually booked in M class. Since you are based in Canada, you'll earn AA miles on a CX M class fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.