Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mendy7511
Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015 23 October

This afternoon, we will be announcing changes to certain elements of Air Canada Altitude in 2015, as well as new features to the program.

Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement
The Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement to reach Altitude status for 2016 is increasing. To qualify for Altitude status in 2016, the following Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement will need to be met:
• Prestige 25K: 12,500 AQM /12 AQS
• Elite 35K: 17,500 AQM /17 AQS
• Elite 50K: 25,000 AQM /25 AQS
• Elite 75K: 37,500 AQM / 37 AQS
• Super Elite 100K: 50,000 AQM / 47 AQS
The new MFR will not impact qualification for Altitude 2015.

500 Mile Minimum
For travel as of March 1, 2015, mileage accrual will no longer be rounded up to a 500 Mile minimum. Miles earned will be based on the distance flown and the fare option purchased for flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express, Air Canada rouge and Star Alliance™ member airlines.

eUpgrades to Business Class
For eUpgrade requests made on or after March 1, 2015, the number of eUpgrade Credits required to upgrade is increasing. The number of eUpgrade Credits you can earn through the Threshold eUpgrades program is also changing. These changes were made following a thorough benchmarking of the upgrades practices of other major international airlines who often limit international upgrades solely to their highest membership tier, and often severely limit the number of upgrades a member may request over the course of a year.

We will also be expanding the “high Flex” eligibility category to include the “U” and “H” booking classes on the Domestic, Transborder and Sun markets, as well as the “U” booking class on International markets. The inclusion of these booking classes within the ‘higher Flex’ eligibility category actually decreases the number of credits required to upgrade flights on certain markets when compared to 2014.

For eUpgrade credit requirements as of March 1, 2015, visit: http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...e/updates.html

eUpgrades to Premium Economy
In early 2015, you will be able to access the comfort of Premium Economy using eUpgrade Credits, when upgrading from an eligible fare. eUpgrade Add-ons will not apply for these upgrades.

eUpgrade Nominees
Beginning March 1, 2015, Altitude Super Elite™ 100K members will be entitled to share their eUpgrade privileges with one eUpgrade Nominee. Members will maintain their ability to share their eUpgrade privileges with Travel Companions.

Priority Boarding
In early 2015, a new streamlined boarding process will be introduced to ensure that you get even more out of the Priority Boarding privilege.

Complimentary access to International Maple Leaf Lounges and Star Alliance Business Lounges
As lounge occupancy grows, many of our lounges are at capacity levels. And while we continue to invest in many lounge expansion projects, the reality is that in many locations, additional space is simply not available. At the same time, benchmarking shows us that our eligibility polices are still over-indexed as compared to many of our competitors. In particular, access to lounges is not a privilege offered by most international airlines at the 35,000 qualifying miles level. We have therefore modified our policy whereby Elite 35K members will continue to have access to Maple Leaf Lounges located in the domestic and trans-border departure zones, as well as those in Los Angeles and New York (LaGuardia). However access to International Maple Leaf Lounges or Star Alliance Business lounges will no longer be available as a Select Privilege. Instead, an option to purchase a Maple Leaf Club membership will be introduced with a 50% discount.

Priority Rewards
In order to maintain the integrity of the Priority Reward privilege for eligible Altitude members, Priority Rewards will be limited to ten (10) reservations (with up to 9 passengers each) per member per benefit period, beginning March 1, 2015. While a thorough analysis has indicated that this change will not impact the vast majority of members (over 95%), it will allow us to maintain a benefit which we know is widely appreciated.

Flight Rewards for Premium Economy
In early 2015, you will be able to redeem Aeroplan miles for seats in the Premium Economy cabin on Air Canada. Details will be coming soon.

Fuel Surcharge on Flight Rewards & Flight Reward change fee waivers
For reservations made as of March 1, 2015, the fuel surcharges on ClassicFlight rewards for travel within Canada and between Canada and the U.S. will be waived for all Altitude members (ie. 25K and higher) . This is applicable on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

At the same time, Aeroplan Flight Reward change fee waivers for Super Elite 100K members will no longer be available for changes made on or after March 1, 2015. However, the fuel surcharges on ClassicFlight Rewards for travel between Canada and international destinations will be waived for Super Elite 100K members on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

For a complete list of details regarding these changes, visit http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...e/updates.html

New REVISED REVISIONS to the Altitude Program (Oct 31 email)

=============
Last week, changes to Air Canada Altitude™ for 2015 were announced. As always, we’ve been listening to your feedback and will be adjusting certain elements of the program accordingly.

Threshold eUpgrades
The amount of eUpgrade Credits offered through the Threshold eUpgrade program will increase. As of 100,000 Altitude Qualifying Miles or 100 Altitude Qualifying Segments, 20 eUpgrade Credits will be awarded for every 40,000 AQM or 40 AQS flown.

eUpgrade Validity Date
eUpgrade Credits earned on or after November 7, 2014 will be valid until February 29, 2016.
Additionally, eUpgrade Credits earned on or after November 1, 2015 will be valid until February 28, 2017.

Mile Minimum
For travel from March 1, 2015 onwards, all Altitude members will earn a minimum of 250 miles on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge as well as Star Alliance™ member airlines.

Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement
For non-Canadian residents, the Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement needed to reach Altitude status in 2016 will be 50% lower than the recently published Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement.
These changes are representative of Air Canada’s focus on recognizing our most valued and important members. We remain committed to offering you one of the best frequent flyer programs in the industry.

Air Canada
Print Wikipost

Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by Far Siren
Party's over.
actually " Party's over" was a very long time ago.
Some people just stay to long at a party and end up with a hang over
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Not liking the removal of the reward change fee waiver.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by yvr76
Yes, they're pretty much eliminating segment running abuse. I don't like the change, but I can understand it.
Unless I can't see straight with these changes, everything got cut back Big Time, but the segment runners. Most segment runners don't reach 100,000 miles and their only goal is 95 flight segments. Like no fuel surcharge for SE on Aeroplan tickets. With all these cut backs, I'm surprised they did not move SE level back to the 110,000 or 125,000 mile level.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:31 pm

Programs: AC35K, Ritz Carlton Gold, Hertz Gold
First time poster from YYZ.

I have had status for 6 years, 35K this year, will just be able to squeeze into 50K for 2015. I spend about $14k p.a. with AC. But with the most recent changes I will spend next year thoroughly sussing out alternatives.

AC is quickly moving the program to cater towards its most elite customers only and is taking the rest of us for granted.

Very disappointing.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:31 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Unless I can't see straight with these changes, everything got cut back Big Time, but the segment runners. Most segment runners don't reach 100,000 miles and their only goal is 95 flight segments. Like no fuel surcharge for SE on Aeroplan tickets. With all these cut backs, I'm surprised they did not move SE level back to the 110,000 or 125,000 mile level.
They kinda did with the actual miles flown

I'm sure that will add up to a decent amount of miles
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: AC*SE, Lifetime Bonvoy PP, Hilton D, National EE, Avis First
Originally Posted by yvr76
Yes, they're pretty much eliminating segment running abuse. I don't like the change, but I can understand it.
I don't like the change at all. For those of us that fly YYJ YVR return 5 days a week (and there are a few of us), where else are we going to get miles from to make any sort of "mileage" program worthwhile.

From 500m each way down to 39m. After a year of flying, I'll be a super elite still, but only have earned ~20k miles (instead of 260k). Not even enough for a long haul domestic in Y. That's a lot of revenue from me to you, without a lot in return. Actually nothing in return, I'd probably make more miles at esso.

Just doing some quick math, it's cheaper for me to buy a nice brand new cessna turbo prop and fly myself to work everyday. 100% ROI within the year, and a better seat too.

I guess AC is banking on the conversation with "she who must be obeyed" not going so well when I bring up the idea of buying another plane.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:35 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
I'm surprised they did not move SE level back to the 110,000 or 125,000 mile level.
That's the 2016 enhancement - along with the elimination of E35 & E75 I suspect.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Well after reading all 6 pages, this is pretty much what I expected to see today once I finished reading my email lol.

A couple things kinda jump out at me...

- I love the no YQ on AP tickets, just booked my first one the other day and it still came with $222 worth of taxes, which for YVR-PIT-YYZ-YVR I didn't think was too obscene but I didn't like it. Though I'm looking for clarification, I'll be SE for 2015, how much of the "scam charges" is really just YQ? I was looking at YVR-LHR the other day, 39,000 points which shocked me at how cheap it was...but the "taxes" were well over $800 which is pure insanity, over $1200 I think for the J class. At that price it's foolish and insulting. Will the YQ bring that $800 down to say...$200? I know LHR in particular has some crazy tax levels but that's nuts.

For me the 500 mile minimum really applies. I work in YMM and live in YVR so in order to make the most of my eUPs and collect the segments needed to hit SE, I stop in YEG or YYC. An added benefit of that is the 500 minimum. Bye bye to that.

The other thing that's got my goat is the eUP requirements, holy hell, it goes from 2 to (i think) 5 on an M flex pass just for YVR-YYC?? The food sucks, I get a slightly nicer seat and booze, that's it. How the hell can you justify that?

I'm neutral on the rest of the stuff, because i don't really use them, hell I don't even know what some of them are lol. I can easily make the AC metal minimums, but odds are I'm gonna switch over to UA because I think I can make their minimums just on my leisure flying (which only earns 50% to AP anyway) while using my M pass to make the required segments on AC. I think 2015 will be a blend of YVR-YMM directs, YVR-YEG-YMM for the eUp burning and extra segments, then my usual YVR-DEN-IAH-BOG-MDE trip a few times a year cuz the price is at least $300 cheaper than AC, despite my preference for AC's product.

Sidebar...it's a damn good thing I didn't buy an AC pass, I was thinking about dropping the $7000 on the AC western canada to LATAM pass (Even though it didn't make much financial sense for BOG trips) cuz I thought with no co-pay and some planning I could eUP my way down there which would be very nice. Knowing that I'll earn less than 50% of the eUPs and that they cost 100% more now...I'm REEEEALLLY glad I didn't. If I decide to spend that $7000 this year, which is no sweat of AC's back (and I'm not the "do you know how much i spend type") it'll go to just paying into UA J class.

AC I think this one is a big swing and a miss. As a shareholder, I think it might have a nice short term benefit because it'll bring costs down a bit, but in the long run more people are clearly going to spend the stupid amounts on airfare elsewhere. You have no competition for domestic flying and you know it, but INTL is where there is choice, and when people have a choice it sounds like you're not it . Bought a flight to Korea for Feb 2015, ANA was nicely priced, UA was there...AC was not even in the same ballpark, even for tango.

Now off to do some research on the UA Mileageplus table!

Last edited by drvannostren; Oct 23, 2014 at 12:41 pm
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Ben.

There is POSSIBLY one way to keep chasing AQM on AC. That's if the 2MM had a choice of lifetime SE rather than E50K for a friend.

Any chance of that? I have 600K miles to go.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
I fly almost exclusively domestic Flex and this is really going to hit me, and I'm not happy about it!

I lose 500 mile minimum, so on my $500 round trip YEG-YYC-YEG, I make what, 250-300 miles now? So roughly a quarter of what I used to...great.

Upgrading my occasional YEG-YUL or YEG-YYZ went from 10 to 15 credits, and my 20K bonus credits disappeared. So now I get even fewer upgrades.

I'm already annoyed with the preferred seat situation, and really do not understand why AC can't just do what UA does and open seats for all FFs at check in. You know its bad when you WISH AC was more like UA....

These changes really hurt, and I'm not looking forward to the priority boarding changes now... I like being able to board early and get my bag in the overhead on those E90s and DH4s, and if they remove that perk, it'll be a big hit.

I know I'm not a Super Elite and paying full fare international J fares, but I sure do fly more than the average person, make status on segments that are usually $250-$500 each, and have done so each year for over a decade (40-75K each year usually). I feel like AC really couldn't care less about FFs like me.

Sorry AC, but this will be my last year making Elite. I'm switching over to Westjet.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I fork out for Latitude fares quite often and now it seems that I am going to be punished further for paying said Latitude fares.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by NAJetSet
I don't like the change at all. For those of us that fly YYJ YVR return 5 days a week (and there are a few of us), where else are we going to get miles from to make any sort of "mileage" program worthwhile.
Yikes, that's a bit sadistic! Neither airport is exactly "well located" either for the DT cores. Better call Habour Air, see what kinda FF program they have their "terminal" on the south side is brilliant too. Either that or Helijet!
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: AC*E, BA, KL
As a UK-based E50 this hits me especially hard. It is highly unlikely that I will reach 25000 or 25 segments on AC next year. Now, I imagine that some will say it's a good thing that they're losing me. Yet, as soon as I relocate back to Canada and the percentage of domestic/NA flying to international increases, then I will be looking for another airline to do so.

Clearly this points to me to the actions of a desperate company, looking for short-term gain rather than investing in the long term. It's a business strategy certainly and if it works for them, good luck to them.

I've been with AC for 20 years as a prestige and then elite for almost all of them. Clearly the message is that they don't need my business and that's fine. I don't need them as I'm lucky enough to be currently living in a part of the world where airfares are a fraction of what they are in Canada and there is a massive amount of competition.

Good luck to all of you.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: AC E50K (MM), BA Gold, Marriott Platinum (Lifetime), National Exec
Not worth it any more...

One can easily see that a lot of the program changes are good business (from a cost containment perspective) but for the most part, not so good for customer loyalty. At the end of the day, AC is a business and like most (large corporate) businesses, it seems that customer loyalty is really not that important to them - especially domestically where there's so little choice of carrier in most of Canada.

As far as my flying goes, a lot of my motivation to fly AC was centred on acquiring international upgrades.

Nowadays, between the latest round of eUpgrade granting reductions, increased upgrade "cost" and the fact that the premium fares (that are actually possible to upgrade) cost nearly as much as (or sometimes more than) J on other carriers, there is little incentive for me to stick around.

AC will still get some business from me domestically, but US & international (premium cabin)...not so much. I will simply go where I can get my J ticket for the best price.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Man, these eUpgrade credit requirements are absolutely over the top insane.

A sucker punch to the gut.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.