Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mendy7511
Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015 23 October

This afternoon, we will be announcing changes to certain elements of Air Canada Altitude in 2015, as well as new features to the program.

Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement
The Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement to reach Altitude status for 2016 is increasing. To qualify for Altitude status in 2016, the following Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement will need to be met:
Prestige 25K: 12,500 AQM /12 AQS
Elite 35K: 17,500 AQM /17 AQS
Elite 50K: 25,000 AQM /25 AQS
Elite 75K: 37,500 AQM / 37 AQS
Super Elite 100K: 50,000 AQM / 47 AQS
The new MFR will not impact qualification for Altitude 2015.

500 Mile Minimum
For travel as of March 1, 2015, mileage accrual will no longer be rounded up to a 500 Mile minimum. Miles earned will be based on the distance flown and the fare option purchased for flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express, Air Canada rouge and Star Alliance member airlines.

eUpgrades to Business Class
For eUpgrade requests made on or after March 1, 2015, the number of eUpgrade Credits required to upgrade is increasing. The number of eUpgrade Credits you can earn through the Threshold eUpgrades program is also changing. These changes were made following a thorough benchmarking of the upgrades practices of other major international airlines who often limit international upgrades solely to their highest membership tier, and often severely limit the number of upgrades a member may request over the course of a year.

We will also be expanding the high Flex eligibility category to include the U and H booking classes on the Domestic, Transborder and Sun markets, as well as the U booking class on International markets. The inclusion of these booking classes within the higher Flex eligibility category actually decreases the number of credits required to upgrade flights on certain markets when compared to 2014.

For eUpgrade credit requirements as of March 1, 2015, visit: http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...e/updates.html

eUpgrades to Premium Economy
In early 2015, you will be able to access the comfort of Premium Economy using eUpgrade Credits, when upgrading from an eligible fare. eUpgrade Add-ons will not apply for these upgrades.

eUpgrade Nominees
Beginning March 1, 2015, Altitude Super Elite 100K members will be entitled to share their eUpgrade privileges with one eUpgrade Nominee. Members will maintain their ability to share their eUpgrade privileges with Travel Companions.

Priority Boarding
In early 2015, a new streamlined boarding process will be introduced to ensure that you get even more out of the Priority Boarding privilege.

Complimentary access to International Maple Leaf Lounges and Star Alliance Business Lounges
As lounge occupancy grows, many of our lounges are at capacity levels. And while we continue to invest in many lounge expansion projects, the reality is that in many locations, additional space is simply not available. At the same time, benchmarking shows us that our eligibility polices are still over-indexed as compared to many of our competitors. In particular, access to lounges is not a privilege offered by most international airlines at the 35,000 qualifying miles level. We have therefore modified our policy whereby Elite 35K members will continue to have access to Maple Leaf Lounges located in the domestic and trans-border departure zones, as well as those in Los Angeles and New York (LaGuardia). However access to International Maple Leaf Lounges or Star Alliance Business lounges will no longer be available as a Select Privilege. Instead, an option to purchase a Maple Leaf Club membership will be introduced with a 50% discount.

Priority Rewards
In order to maintain the integrity of the Priority Reward privilege for eligible Altitude members, Priority Rewards will be limited to ten (10) reservations (with up to 9 passengers each) per member per benefit period, beginning March 1, 2015. While a thorough analysis has indicated that this change will not impact the vast majority of members (over 95%), it will allow us to maintain a benefit which we know is widely appreciated.

Flight Rewards for Premium Economy
In early 2015, you will be able to redeem Aeroplan miles for seats in the Premium Economy cabin on Air Canada. Details will be coming soon.

Fuel Surcharge on Flight Rewards & Flight Reward change fee waivers
For reservations made as of March 1, 2015, the fuel surcharges on ClassicFlight rewards for travel within Canada and between Canada and the U.S. will be waived for all Altitude members (ie. 25K and higher) . This is applicable on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

At the same time, Aeroplan Flight Reward change fee waivers for Super Elite 100K members will no longer be available for changes made on or after March 1, 2015. However, the fuel surcharges on ClassicFlight Rewards for travel between Canada and international destinations will be waived for Super Elite 100K members on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

For a complete list of details regarding these changes, visit http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...e/updates.html

New REVISED REVISIONS to the Altitude Program (Oct 31 email)

=============
Last week, changes to Air Canada Altitude for 2015 were announced. As always, weve been listening to your feedback and will be adjusting certain elements of the program accordingly.

Threshold eUpgrades
The amount of eUpgrade Credits offered through the Threshold eUpgrade program will increase. As of 100,000 Altitude Qualifying Miles or 100 Altitude Qualifying Segments, 20 eUpgrade Credits will be awarded for every 40,000 AQM or 40 AQS flown.

eUpgrade Validity Date
eUpgrade Credits earned on or after November 7, 2014 will be valid until February 29, 2016.
Additionally, eUpgrade Credits earned on or after November 1, 2015 will be valid until February 28, 2017.

Mile Minimum
For travel from March 1, 2015 onwards, all Altitude members will earn a minimum of 250 miles on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge as well as Star Alliance member airlines.

Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement
For non-Canadian residents, the Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement needed to reach Altitude status in 2016 will be 50% lower than the recently published Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement.
These changes are representative of Air Canadas focus on recognizing our most valued and important members. We remain committed to offering you one of the best frequent flyer programs in the industry.

Air Canada
Print Wikipost

Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:34 pm
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Dorian
Here is our last trip, four of us were on it. This is the revenue they say they want, but will go away.

Mark my words. I will post every ticket I buy on a competitor.

^

Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:34 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
haha! I beat you Dorian! I have a FF number starting 104 4XX XXX

Ps: the reason I mention it, is because it seems even the most loyal of customers from 20+ years here, who have been through this a few times are really upset this time.

Last edited by Sean Peever; Oct 24, 2014 at 4:40 pm
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:41 pm

Programs: AC Elite 50K
Originally Posted by AftOf245
This is a very funny thread to follow, very high posting numbers from mainly 13 people. The funny part is those who always book full "J" and are mad that the eups are being diminished? ...?? Your already in "J" where are you going to use them?

People are upset and I understand that, Air Canada has created a monster, they continually threw stuff at this program and people jumped all over it as they should. But with the ability for the airline and many other companies able to collect meaningful data that they can apply to there revenue modelling I don't believe we will see the great loyalty programs of the past.

The biggest issue for Air Canada is unwinding this monster they created, they created this sense of entitlement within some of their customer base, I have witnessed people visibly angry at checkin counters when they do not get an upgrade, at that point you know there is a problem.
No they have. Its like a hydra that keeps spawning heads. The number of FFs I see at checkin counters berating, belittling, and otherwise treating agents like garbage is appalling. It is a problem. A big one. And really an expensive one.

No YQ for SE... Thats interesting. Very interesting to me. (I tend to use my miles for business... I own the company...) Ill have to do some math but it in my case may actually win them more business. I like the international PE product, I feel its fairly priced, I flew it this summer to and from Hong Kong, I slept well, and I didn't end up paying 10K for the trip. In fact I may plan to be more loyal to get that. I also earn a lot of credit card points, so it makes all of my points go that much further...

Domestically the Westjet program is interesting. The rebate is interesting. Though contrary to assertions here, Westjet is most often the more expensive carrier. I know, the nature of my business means I am personally involved in buying blocks of tickets. They're cheaper about 10% of the time. 90% its AC. (I traded the lounge passes MLL WW cards etc from my corp rewards program for an additional 2% off.)
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:46 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by CT1
LOL that's what AC is trying to change.
I suspect this round of enhancement seems to impact the most loyal...
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by LittleYHZ
No they have. Its like a hydra that keeps spawning heads. The number of FFs I see at checkin counters berating, belittling, and otherwise treating agents like garbage is appalling. It is a problem. A big one. And really an expensive one.

No YQ for SE... Thats interesting. Very interesting to me. (I tend to use my miles for business... I own the company...) Ill have to do some math but it in my case may actually win them more business. I like the international PE product, I feel its fairly priced, I flew it this summer to and from Hong Kong, I slept well, and I didn't end up paying 10K for the trip. In fact I may plan to be more loyal to get that. I also earn a lot of credit card points, so it makes all of my points go that much further...

Domestically the Westjet program is interesting. The rebate is interesting. Though contrary to assertions here, Westjet is most often the more expensive carrier. I know, the nature of my business means I am personally involved in buying blocks of tickets. They're cheaper about 10% of the time. 90% its AC. (I traded the lounge passes MLL WW cards etc from my corp rewards program for an additional 2% off.)
Uhh, what planet are you on? I do domestic weekly. Every single time WJ is cheaper. Every.Single.Time. I know our corporate tool has the same price as AC.com - not sure if WJ is the same. We get a kick back from both I would assume, but the prices made available to me indicate WJ < AC $ wise.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Uhh, what planet are you on? I do domestic weekly. Every single time WJ is cheaper. Every.Single.Time. I know our corporate tool has the same price as AC.com - not sure if WJ is the same. We get a kick back from both I would assume, but the prices made available to me indicate WJ < AC $ wise.
Our corporate tool shows the discounts on both WJ and AC at time of booking. For some reason, no discounts on Z. unless I have obtained a coupon from some scoundrel, I mean fellow FTer when I get stuck flying AC.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:51 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Air Canada is Canada. The price of oil is low. Governments will suffer. Lots of oil customers will not travel as much. AC will suffer. The big plans by AC to remove their FF programme and count on business to prop them up may not work. I have already changed to KLM but they aren't a bunch better than last years FF program. They are a WHOLE BUNCH BETTER than the new programme. The Petroleum Card from KLM is a HUGE benefit that I will be using from now on. Love AC, Hate AC management!!!
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
@Dorian

You fly to some cool places and command some serious $. May I ask what you do for a living?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:54 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
@Dorian

You fly to some cool places and command some serious $. May I ask what you do for a living?
Entrepreneur. Have businesses in Asia, UK and Africa currently.

People that travel like myself and some others may not be plentiful, but they are screwing with us and risk losing a lot of money.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:57 pm

People that travel like myself and some others may not be plentiful, but they are screwing with us and risk losing a lot of money.
And likes app development on the side...:-)
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:58 pm

Programs: AC SEMM; AA,DL, Hyatt and Starwood. Ex-status:SQ PPS,CSA,Hilton,AA,UA
Originally Posted by ridefar
First, my assumption is you are not going to sell any more J or Latitude in Canada than you are now with this change. Unless there is a major pricing change, it is just a bridge too far for any corporation that isnt paying for it now. So--why gut eUps? The seats aren't going to be sold anyway. Why not let your most loyal customers have them? Why was this necessary?
+1. Everyone at work (all 130 engineers who fly like I do) is talking about it. ...At the management meeting today, managers are worried now that people are going to leave our organization and do a 9 to 5.
And these 2 posts get to the crux of the matter. Air Canada is betting that when push comes down to shove, once the dust settles, the threat of those 130 penguins marching off to another job will make their employer allow paid J (Z, etc) for flights that are long enough, or for every penguin who travels a lot. Ridefar feels this won't happen, or at least in very few companies.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Cool. Good on you and good luck! You seem to be doing well
Old Oct 24, 2014, 5:00 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by mkjr
And likes app development on the side...:-)
Ha! Did until I figured out the marketing dollars needed to get an app exposed!

Programs: AC*E35
Off topic

Slightly off topic, but, just wanted to point out:

All Air Canada employees receive 4 space available J passes ("C1" priority) per year, and right now I believe they are actually sans service charges.

So I guess this means AC will be filling their cabin with
a) paying J passengers
b) even more employees travelling on pleasure
Suspended

Originally Posted by montrealer
And these 2 posts get to the crux of the matter. Air Canada is betting that when push comes down to shove, once the dust settles, the threat of those 130 penguins marching off to another job will make their employer allow paid J (Z, etc) for flights that are long enough, or for every penguin who travels a lot. Ridefar feels this won't happen, or at least in very few companies.
This won't happen where I work either, and we print cash like no one's business, even more than Google. That was an awesome post though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.