Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mendy7511
Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015 23 October

This afternoon, we will be announcing changes to certain elements of Air Canada Altitude in 2015, as well as new features to the program.

Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement
The Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement to reach Altitude status for 2016 is increasing. To qualify for Altitude status in 2016, the following Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement will need to be met:
• Prestige 25K: 12,500 AQM /12 AQS
• Elite 35K: 17,500 AQM /17 AQS
• Elite 50K: 25,000 AQM /25 AQS
• Elite 75K: 37,500 AQM / 37 AQS
• Super Elite 100K: 50,000 AQM / 47 AQS
The new MFR will not impact qualification for Altitude 2015.

500 Mile Minimum
For travel as of March 1, 2015, mileage accrual will no longer be rounded up to a 500 Mile minimum. Miles earned will be based on the distance flown and the fare option purchased for flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express, Air Canada rouge and Star Alliance™ member airlines.

eUpgrades to Business Class
For eUpgrade requests made on or after March 1, 2015, the number of eUpgrade Credits required to upgrade is increasing. The number of eUpgrade Credits you can earn through the Threshold eUpgrades program is also changing. These changes were made following a thorough benchmarking of the upgrades practices of other major international airlines who often limit international upgrades solely to their highest membership tier, and often severely limit the number of upgrades a member may request over the course of a year.

We will also be expanding the “high Flex” eligibility category to include the “U” and “H” booking classes on the Domestic, Transborder and Sun markets, as well as the “U” booking class on International markets. The inclusion of these booking classes within the ‘higher Flex’ eligibility category actually decreases the number of credits required to upgrade flights on certain markets when compared to 2014.

For eUpgrade credit requirements as of March 1, 2015, visit: http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...e/updates.html

eUpgrades to Premium Economy
In early 2015, you will be able to access the comfort of Premium Economy using eUpgrade Credits, when upgrading from an eligible fare. eUpgrade Add-ons will not apply for these upgrades.

eUpgrade Nominees
Beginning March 1, 2015, Altitude Super Elite™ 100K members will be entitled to share their eUpgrade privileges with one eUpgrade Nominee. Members will maintain their ability to share their eUpgrade privileges with Travel Companions.

Priority Boarding
In early 2015, a new streamlined boarding process will be introduced to ensure that you get even more out of the Priority Boarding privilege.

Complimentary access to International Maple Leaf Lounges and Star Alliance Business Lounges
As lounge occupancy grows, many of our lounges are at capacity levels. And while we continue to invest in many lounge expansion projects, the reality is that in many locations, additional space is simply not available. At the same time, benchmarking shows us that our eligibility polices are still over-indexed as compared to many of our competitors. In particular, access to lounges is not a privilege offered by most international airlines at the 35,000 qualifying miles level. We have therefore modified our policy whereby Elite 35K members will continue to have access to Maple Leaf Lounges located in the domestic and trans-border departure zones, as well as those in Los Angeles and New York (LaGuardia). However access to International Maple Leaf Lounges or Star Alliance Business lounges will no longer be available as a Select Privilege. Instead, an option to purchase a Maple Leaf Club membership will be introduced with a 50% discount.

Priority Rewards
In order to maintain the integrity of the Priority Reward privilege for eligible Altitude members, Priority Rewards will be limited to ten (10) reservations (with up to 9 passengers each) per member per benefit period, beginning March 1, 2015. While a thorough analysis has indicated that this change will not impact the vast majority of members (over 95%), it will allow us to maintain a benefit which we know is widely appreciated.

Flight Rewards for Premium Economy
In early 2015, you will be able to redeem Aeroplan miles for seats in the Premium Economy cabin on Air Canada. Details will be coming soon.

Fuel Surcharge on Flight Rewards & Flight Reward change fee waivers
For reservations made as of March 1, 2015, the fuel surcharges on ClassicFlight rewards for travel within Canada and between Canada and the U.S. will be waived for all Altitude members (ie. 25K and higher) . This is applicable on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

At the same time, Aeroplan Flight Reward change fee waivers for Super Elite 100K members will no longer be available for changes made on or after March 1, 2015. However, the fuel surcharges on ClassicFlight Rewards for travel between Canada and international destinations will be waived for Super Elite 100K members on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

For a complete list of details regarding these changes, visit http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...e/updates.html

New REVISED REVISIONS to the Altitude Program (Oct 31 email)

=============
Last week, changes to Air Canada Altitude™ for 2015 were announced. As always, we’ve been listening to your feedback and will be adjusting certain elements of the program accordingly.

Threshold eUpgrades
The amount of eUpgrade Credits offered through the Threshold eUpgrade program will increase. As of 100,000 Altitude Qualifying Miles or 100 Altitude Qualifying Segments, 20 eUpgrade Credits will be awarded for every 40,000 AQM or 40 AQS flown.

eUpgrade Validity Date
eUpgrade Credits earned on or after November 7, 2014 will be valid until February 29, 2016.
Additionally, eUpgrade Credits earned on or after November 1, 2015 will be valid until February 28, 2017.

Mile Minimum
For travel from March 1, 2015 onwards, all Altitude members will earn a minimum of 250 miles on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge as well as Star Alliance™ member airlines.

Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement
For non-Canadian residents, the Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement needed to reach Altitude status in 2016 will be 50% lower than the recently published Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement.
These changes are representative of Air Canada’s focus on recognizing our most valued and important members. We remain committed to offering you one of the best frequent flyer programs in the industry.

Air Canada
Print Wikipost

Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by gesmith10
From a quick read, AA FF programme is clearly heads and tails above. What are people's experience with the inflight product? I am booking some J tix for upcoming flights (Europe to US). I only checked a few dates but AA J seems to price roughly same as AC Latitude. AA Intl First is less then AC J. Says they are flexible and I know they do free same day changes anyways.
I fly AA and DL all the time and the inflight experience is better than AC's. It sounds like you fly in front so with rouge and even mainline those two US airlines have passed AC.

You are right about pricing.....very often you can get domestic Business/First on those airlines for less or about an economy fare on AC....plus the US airlines usually offer a pre flight beverage of your choice. Food is better too.

Int F on AA is pretty good, certainly better than AC J........AC has a good Int J product when compared to say united or AA J product, but as you notice the price is different.

You will not go wrong leaving AC.....i did and have never looked back.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond. Priority Club Platinum. Emerald Club Executive Elite
Originally Posted by YOWisHome
Domestic is currently off limits in the active contract.
Insofar as the brand. To my knowledge, there's nothing in work contracts that mandate J class seats. I'd not be surprised, over time, that most domestic aircraft have J seats removed to add more economy. Maybe the BIZ section would more resemble Europe Biz class.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
Originally Posted by nm761
Apologies for a long post, which may seem like a confession, but had to get it off my chest.

Like a number of folks here, I don’t post much on FT, but am an avid reader. My partner knows it and so do my colleagues, all of whom are either SEs or E75s. Not sure why and how, but I’ve become their window into what’s happening with Air Canada, most of which is learnt through either FT or through personal experience. I’ve always shared my experiences with them, but if memory serves right, the shared experiences were hardly ever negative. Yes, there was an odd baggage misplacement and a sultry flight attendant. But more often than not, it was either a neutral or a very much positive experience that I had and which I was compelled to share. Some wondered whether I had any shares in AC (I don’t), as I would defend the airline whenever needed and glorified it when possible. At the end of the day, I loved Air Canada and appreciated that although it was falling short of EK, QR and, even NZ, it was addressing my needs in both, cost-effective and loyalty-fostering ways.

I should note that both my partner and I have been SEs for seven or eight years now. Although we became Aeroplan members just about ten years ago, we were travelling extensively for work and pleasure in the past decade, and my partner just became a MM, and I am about 20k miles short – something that will be crossed before the end of the year with all of the booked travels. I should also note that both of us are in executive positions approving, amongst other things, travel budgets and travel policy for company employees.

We went out of our ways, most of the time, to fly AC, even to the point of deliberately avoiding the direct YVR-ORD run on UA, to fly with a connection on AC. It was neither cheaper, nor quicker (naturally), but we stayed loyal to AC. We encouraged others to stick to AC, even if they felt they’ve been wronged by AC before. Not once did either one of us flew WS, not once.

We lived through changes in management and devaluations of the Altitude programme. We realised quickly that there was nothing flexible about Flex fares to justify the premium over Tango, which continued to grow. We accepted this as a matter of a company management running it as a business and, by buying these Flex fares we were supporting it. At some point, the realisation of how little flexibility Flex fares actually provided, drove our purchasing decisions towards FP, both in Latitude and Business and, really, have never looked back. We wanted for AC to succeed. We bent the corporate travel policies for the staff to accommodate this as well.

It goes without saying that we questioned the practice of Rouging YVR-SFO and YVR-LAX (although flying up front softened the disappointment), and soon YVR-HNL, and went out of our way not to fly YVR-LHR directly once it went to 77P, choosing a connection through YYC or YEG instead (the last RT earlier this month – with J half full in both directions). But through all of this, we stayed loyal to AC.

It took the weekend of pondering and, admittedly, reading FT to realise that things are about to change. The logic behind FF programmes is that they are meant to foster the loyalty and to retain those who fly a lot (encouraging them to fly even more). The changes, which have been announced for 2015, go against all of that logic. To be honest, I am not sure what bothers me more, the fact that such drastic changes are announced once we qualified for SE for next year, or that we are expected to support the unclear changes in the product, which are yet to come (if at all, as was discussed at length here). One thing is absolutely certain – the announced changes are really the last drop in our continued loyalty to AC.

This realisation of things about to change is disheartening. It feels like a bad break up, where in your heart you know that you’ve done nothing wrong, but the other party pretty much blames you for it, explicitly and implicitly. As with all break ups, this will heal with time, as more positive feelings of new relationships will engulf us. But for the time being, it feels like a major void.

Ironically, earlier today my partner, myself and several of our SE colleagues have received an invite to the 787 event in YVR (on 19 November). Coincidentally, none of us can make it, as we are all away, flying to far away places, still on AC, booked a while back. Perhaps it’s for the better, so we don’t ruin the excitement of the event with all of us expressing our feelings about the things to come.

Sadly, it’s time for us to move on…
this. +1.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:13 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by nowinyow
Insofar as the brand. To my knowledge, there's nothing in work contracts that mandate J class seats. I'd not be surprised, over time, that most domestic aircraft have J seats removed to add more economy. Maybe the BIZ section would more resemble Europe Biz class.
In another thread, a while back, I made a similar observation. Apparently the pilot contract stipulated they ride in J. That was the old pilot contract, not the new 10 year deal--which one would assume would be the same, but that is just speculation. But overall, I wouldn't be in the least surprised by such a change--either European version of J, or PE like WestJet offers being the top tier of service domestically. I would love to be proven wrong, but if they are aggressively emptying the J cabin of all but paid J, then it will become pretty obvious pretty quickly that there isn't enough traffic to justify full J cabins on most routes. My guess is that YYC-YYZ is about 1/3 to 1/2 paid J at best when the J cabin is full. And most people think that is one of the more lucrative J routes in Canada.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Reading the latest round of posts, I must say, I m simply amazed at the amount of emotion, involvement, and blind loyalty people have had in their dealings with AC.
Spending more than needed, convincing others, defending AC, comparing to a breakup...

Maybe because all the money I spend on flying is my own (post tax) income, and I ve always had to be loyal to me first, I will never understand this frankly irrational blind loyalty to an airline.
as a SEMM, i have a 100% success record of getting u/g to places like GRU, HKG, NRT, FRA, IST etc.. Prior to the MM, even as a plain old SE, i had a good 80% success rate.
thats why i went out of my way to fly AC. not any more.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
AA doesn't match. You can request a challenge
Absolutely false. They are happily matching UA elites at the moment.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:26 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Good to know. I become UA*1K after Thursday's flight posts
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:30 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K 1MM, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Not AC, just registered, and cost me $200 to challenge.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: United M+: Platnum to 2016 AC E75K to 2015
OMG - Unable to check FT for a day or so and this thread keeps exploding.. My posts have dwindled somwhat, but I still read and we are all thinking the same thing.. I only hope we truly start chosing with our wallets now, if not next year...

That said, there was some talk about AC thinking they can compete with CX (Cathay Pacific?).. Well, I will just say I had a 25minute flight on a Qantas 717 from Canberra to SYD and got a VERY TASTY Chcicken/avocado wrap AND a bottle of wine - included. My ticket was one of the cheapest, bare-bottom fares you can get.. So if AC thinks it can compete with CX.. maybe they should try competing with Qantas on Domestic flights too.. or first!
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Dorian
Ya gotta figure that someone making E50, E75 or E100 on only Tango segments kinda cheapens the lounges and priority checking and boarding.
Hey now, I dress well you know . And half the time I use priority pass lounges.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:12 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
So as a YYJ based flyer I ran a quick spreadsheet, to see the impact of the 500 mile miniums being gone.

I often do short hops to YVR, or beyond to places like YXS, or to places like BOS, or YYB once I get to YYZ. Looks like out of my 102K AQM this year it would have reduced my earnings by 10-20%. Not tragic.
Not tragic, but no more SE for you.
No YQ free redemption on International. No more IKK. Basically 1-2 upgrades only if they clear.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:54 pm

Programs: AC SE, AMEX Plat, Marriott Gold, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by nitehawk
So as a YYJ based flyer I ran a quick spreadsheet, to see the impact of the 500 mile miniums being gone.

I often do short hops to YVR, or beyond to places like YXS, or to places like BOS, or YYB once I get to YYZ. Looks like out of my 102K AQM this year it would have reduced my earnings by 10-20%. Not tragic

Originally Posted by mendy7511
Not tragic, but no more SE for you.
No YQ free redemption on International. No more IKK. Basically 1-2 upgrades only if they clear.
I did a similar spreadsheet. I am in YXU. I am typically a E50K or E75K flier buying expensive ($600-800) Flex fares YXU to YUL/YOW via YYZ and paid J international. This will cost me 8000-10000 AQM (10-20%) per year and likely downgrade me to E35K/E50K, but never again E75.

I did a parallel spreadsheet with UA MP and calculated it'll me more likely for me to get Premiere Gold than E50K. I would then just switch all of my international travel (mostly South America, Europe and Middle East) to United. The newly minted YXU-EWR flight is a game changer here.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: AC SE; SPG Platnium; HH G
Originally Posted by yvr76
AQM on Tango is low enough that it doesn't need to be enhanced any further. But AQS for Tango should be reduced to 0.5 AQS and in return Business fares increased to 1.5 AQS. This would reduce segment running.
Well that would be even worse for retaining any loyalty. There are many businesses now mandating lowest fare and if AC offers even less benefit than it does even now then there is no loyalty to book even at the lowest fare.

It is getting forgotten that the weekly and biweekly business travellers are being told to buy tango. Give them this pathetic choice and yes you lose a low fare but you lose a lot of them and every week.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by YXUhomebase
Well that would be even worse for retaining any loyalty. There are many businesses now mandating lowest fare and if AC offers even less benefit than it does even now then there is no loyalty to book even at the lowest fare.

It is getting forgotten that the weekly and biweekly business travellers are being told to buy tango. Give them this pathetic choice and yes you lose a low fare but you lose a lot of them and every week.
Keep in mind that AC only allowed Tango to get 1 AQS last year. Up until then it was 0 AQS domestically for several years.

Point is, if there are pax out there getting status segment running to get status maybe there are other ways to get around this than blanket removing the 500 minimum across the board.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:17 pm

Has it occurred to AC that it isn't the FF sitting in J who are cheapening J but the actual hard and soft product itself?

If they think this will make their product competitive with CX and SQ they are delusional.

Maybe they should start with improving the crappy food in international J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.