Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades on married segments

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2014, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Upgrades on married segments

Hi,

Anybody has been successful upgrading married segments with Aeroplan? Their website says it's not possible, their agents says there are no availability (even if they use the same website ...)

I'm a little pissed off about them...

Thanks!
Old Oct 8, 2014, 7:48 am

Programs: AC*SE
I'm sorry, I don't understand your question.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Let me rephrase:
Can you apply for any star alliance upgrade on a married segment using Aeroplan?

When I try from their website, on my ticket, I get this:
"Upgrade not possible - married segments"

Their customer support is clueless about this error, and just tell there are no availability...
Old Oct 8, 2014, 8:48 am

Does it show space on the married connectors or are you pulling it up separately?
Old Oct 8, 2014, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Hard for me to tell, unclear what class the SAUA is pulling from on TK. EF is showing me different availability for my flight first leg vs. the married leg, that's for sure. If I try to put the two flights on Aeroplan, still getting the same error.

I called the airline operator (TK), and they confirm plenty of availability for upgrades. I understand *A as some percentage of each flights for award upgrades, but the error I get from the web doesn't talk availability.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: AC 75K
Star Alliance Upgrades come from the same inventory as award tickets - in this case I Class. If you're asking TK about 'upgrade inventory', they'll be looking at inventory for their own Miles & Smiles upgrades, not *A upgrades.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 9:23 am
Original Poster

I see. I guess I missed my opportunity then. Two days ago (when I first tried), the I class was showing 0 on the first leg, and 2 on the married segments (I2 on the first leg, I2 on the second leg). So that means availability to me...

Today, it shows 0 on both. However, I would expect the website to say "No availability", and not "Upgrade not possible"! Being in IT for a long time, saying "not possible" means even with availability, our system won't be able to process it

Last edited by mrpeuch; Oct 8, 2014 at 9:29 am
Old Oct 8, 2014, 1:09 pm

the availability on the married connector will show differently than if you pull up the 2 flights separately
Old Oct 8, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Star Alliance upgrades are only for 1 segment at a time, so I fail to understand
the question.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ace Cdn
the availability on the married connector will show differently than if you pull up the 2 flights separately
Totally agree with you. Looks like the upgrade system pokes each flight independently instead of respecting the merged segment logic.

Instead of asking A > B , and B > C on two independent queries, it should do A > C (connecting in B). Unless I completely missed the married segment logic.

If the system is not designed to handle it, then it's a fantastic loophole the alliance created for themselves to avoid upgrading people. If I was an airline, I would marry every flight I can, no more upgrades??

Last edited by mrpeuch; Oct 8, 2014 at 4:43 pm
Old Oct 8, 2014, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by mrpeuch
Totally agree with you. Looks like the upgrade system pokes each flight independently instead of respecting the merged segment logic.

Instead of asking A > B , and B > C on two independent queries, it should do A > C (connecting in B). Unless I completely missed the married segment logic.

If the system is not designed to handle it, then it's a fantastic loophole the alliance created for themselves to avoid upgrading people. If I was an airline, I would marry every flight I can, no more upgrades??
The purpose of married connectors is so that they may allow booking classes between certain city pairs that do not have nonstop flights. ie. If someone wants to go from YYC-YHZ the only way to get there is via YYZ. What they do is they create married connectors and may offer say V class availability on the married connector flights. If you pull up the YYC-YYZ flight and the YYZ-YHZ flights seperately they could show 0 V availability but if you ask for a YYC-YHZ routing then the V class shows up. This allows them to offer V class seats only on the YYC-YHZ routings and restrict anyone not going there from getting any V class.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

That's my point The upgrade system should be able to pull the availability on the married segments. If they can control V, they can control I the same way

And I think today it's not the case, unless someone has been able to upgrade at some point on a married segment!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.