Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC reaches 10-year deal with pilots. 2017 Update: deal amended

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC reaches 10-year deal with pilots. 2017 Update: deal amended

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
It is logical and if one considers what Thai Airlines did, expected. There was a time when all TG domestic was mainline. TG created its version of Rouge called Thai Smile and almost all of the domestic routes were transferred to Thai Smile. Only a few routes linked to popular international flights stayed mainline.
I believe most AC customers would tolerate a transition to economy bus mode aka Rouge on flights of 90 minutes or less, especially on regional routes to outlying airports. The Rapidair flights could easily go Rouge since there is no full service competition on the routes now.
IMHO the benefit of Rouge to AC is due to low staff cost/wages and higher passenger density. This pays on longer flights that require a larger crew complement with a decent passenger load so shorter flights with small planes would not generate sufficient savings.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by ridefar
I have to say it: I told you so. For years this board has been populated by a majority that maintained this would never happen and that the rouge fleet size was capped.

Well. It did. It isn't.

So who wants to bet on when the first YYC-YYZ and YVR-YYZ rouge routes will be flown?
They got a deal that allows for more Rouge, but directly linked to growth of the mainline fleet. Given that, such a change would require them to move those mainline planes somewhere else, and I don't think they are many domestic mainline routes with a higher yield than those two. So I will happily take a bet on YYC/YVR-YYZ, what date were you thinking?
Old Sep 28, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
It is logical and if one considers what Thai Airlines did, expected. There was a time when all TG domestic was mainline. TG created its version of Rouge called Thai Smile and almost all of the domestic routes were transferred to Thai Smile. Only a few routes linked to popular international flights stayed mainline.
I believe most AC customers would tolerate a transition to economy bus mode aka Rouge on flights of 90 minutes or less, especially on regional routes to outlying airports. The Rapidair flights could easily go Rouge since there is no full service competition on the routes now.
Will AC generate incrementally more profit by reducing costs on low revenue low profit routes or by doing so on high revenue high profit routes. If the answer is the latter then YYZ-YVR rouge is inevitable.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by rehoult
They got a deal that allows for more Rouge, but directly linked to growth of the mainline fleet. Given that, such a change would require them to move those mainline planes somewhere else, and I don't think they are many domestic mainline routes with a higher yield than those two. So I will happily take a bet on YYC/YVR-YYZ, what date were you thinking?
Does mainline include Jazz and AG for purposes of calculating fleet size? What is the new correlation? For every mainline plane/seat they can add a rouge plane/seat?

rehoult. 3 years? But does it really matter if it is 2 or 5? If rouge is about readucing costs for AC then every route that doesn’t require a lie flat should go that way as far as a shareholder or manager is concerned.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by rehoult
... I don't think they are many domestic mainline routes with a higher yield than those two. So I will happily take a bet on YYC/YVR-YYZ, what date were you thinking?
If ULCC start to take a bite out of AC's revenue on these routes, you may see Rouge make an appearance.

In addition, don't confuse average/total route yield with specific flight yield. If I were a betting man, I'd say that typically the yield on the noon westbound YYZ-YVR is significantly lower than the 8:00 AM and 6:00 PM departures. Ditto for the 13:45 and 22:30 eastbound departures YVR-YYZ. I could easily see a scenario where AC runs a couple of rouge flights a day on these "core" routes at times that are not very popular with business travellers.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by The Lev
If ULCC start to take a bite out of AC's revenue on these routes, you may see Rouge make an appearance.

In addition, don't confuse average/total route yield with specific flight yield. If I were a betting man, I'd say that typically the yield on the noon westbound YYZ-YVR is significantly lower than the 8:00 AM and 6:00 PM departures. Ditto for the 13:45 and 22:30 eastbound departures YVR-YYZ. I could easily see a scenario where AC runs a couple of rouge flights a day on these "core" routes at times that are not very popular with business travellers.
+1.

Further as I mentioned above it is not whether a route and time has high yield or not. It is wether the net improvement from a route and time is greater than the net improvement from a different route and time due to rouge-ification. The longer the route, the more seats the route has, the more lowering your CASM matters.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by The Lev

Originally Posted by ridefar
+1.

Further as I mentioned above it is not whether a route and time has high yield or not. It is wether the net improvement from a route and time is greater than the net improvement from a different route and time due to rouge-ification. The longer the route, the more seats the route has, the more lowering your CASM matters.
Mainline only includes the AC E90+ jets. No rouge, no Jazz, no Sky-whatever.

The ULCC will be dealt with via ULCC fare families on both AC and Rouge.

Running a split route is very difficult, as it nearly always forces you to discount your LCC brand. Nobody wants to pay the same for the LCC as the mainline, and you're shoving the difference in their face. Whereas when you change an entire route, you can just change the plane and leave the prices the same (i.e. what they've done on every single Rouge route). Beyond that, it's a crewing nightmare, as pilots/crew can't be swapped between flights in IRROPS.

Not to say that long-term we won't see major routes moved over, but they are the hardest to deal with, and there is no good reason to take on that task until you've picked all the YYJ-wherever routes. Add to that the huge 737 purchase, long-term pilot and FA union contracts, and you've got all the reasons I don't expect to see the trunk routes moved to Rouge anytime soon.

As for whether its 2 or 3 or 5 or whatever years? I'd say that matters a lot to the people flying it.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
AC FOs can now deadhead in J as per recent contract negotiations?

As alluded to in another thread, I recently found out a close friend of the family is a AC mainline FO for the 319/320/321.

We only briefly talked today, but I was talking to him about the whole deadheading policy for captains. He told me that as long as there is positive J space, then FOs can also book and confirm their seat.

I was surprised and I didn't really continue on the whole "interrogate the AC pilot" game since it was a family gathering.

Any more details on this?
Old Oct 19, 2017, 6:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
That's always been the case.

Captains are GUARANTEED J when deadheading.

Deadheading first officers (and flight attendants) get J if there is any left after processing eUpgrades.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 6:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by canadiancow
That's always been the case.

Captains are GUARANTEED J when deadheading.

Deadheading first officers (and flight attendants) get J if there is any left after processing eUpgrades.
My understanding is that FOs now are guaranteed J when deadheading and that was the latest change.

As in, they are processed before eUpgrades.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 6:53 pm

Programs: AC 35K, Hilton Diamond
Correct, this is part of the new agreement per some discussion on a pilot forum I follow.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Because who cares about paying passengers anyway?

Much better to process staff upgrades before passenger upgrades.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by canopus27

superelitelivesdontmatter
flybit likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by canopus27

It is fitting that they are putting customers second on mainline in order to get a contract that allows they to expand a subsidiary that makes flying an awful experience for more customers.

God almighty this country needs some competition in the airline business.

Note: "awful experience" in terms of hard product. rouge FAs are actually really good in my experience.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 8:00 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Why would you guys have a problem with FO taking a J seat???
FA is one thing I can understand.. but someone who flies the plane, really??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.