Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC reaches 10-year deal with pilots. 2017 Update: deal amended

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC reaches 10-year deal with pilots. 2017 Update: deal amended

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2017, 6:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
It is your choice to use them on short haul.
Yeah, but aren't I exactly the type of passenger AC wants? Someone who books long-haul premium cabins, and uses status perks only on shorter flights?

You are a FF and you meet the criteria for SE status. Yes, the airline offers some eup options to customers who reach SE. It's part of the bundled benefits. Keep in mind that those things are not a guarantee of an upgrade. As sexy and enticing as eups sound, they are in the same league as the promise of "gourmet" snacks in the MLL. You and other SEs get a lot of those coupons and because you fly often, have a much greater opportunity to benefit from them. True, you might forgo an opportunity on a shorthaul when a FO is seated, but so what? You haven't been penalized, nor have you suffered a loss. It would be different if you had paid for a seat and were moved to Y to make way for the FO.

Keep in mind that as a SE, you already qualify for a boatload of extras that mere mortals like me cannot receive, even though I might be on a paid business class ticket too. Most valuable of all is the way the airline will bend over backwards to take care of you during IROPs or when you need to rebook. Remember too that for us lower echelons, we too get a bundle of benefits, most of which are useless.
So because the impacted benefit is one I use but you don't, who cares?

If they took away the baggage waiver for SEs, I wouldn't care, but others would. Different people make use of different benefits.

And again I note that the potential for an FO taking a way a seat from a customer looking to upgrade is not significant.
There was a post somewhere about YOW-YYZ flight upgrade clearance rates dropping recently.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by ridefar
So nobody seated in economy (including the vast majority of their paying passengers) is being treated with decency and respect? I can't parse your statement any other way.
I claim the right to include at least some hyperbole in my posts.

Seriously though, a fundamental difference between paying passengers and FOs is that customers, collectively, through their Walmart-shopper, lowest-price mentality, are complicit in the trend to higher density, excruciatingly uncomfortable Y cabin seating. In the past, deadheading crew in Y could expect a reasonable level of comfort. That's no longer the case. Being seated in J merely gives them back a level of comfort they used to have before Y became a sardine can.

If we want to talk about decency, respect, safety, etc., try this: if a pilot's job is so sensitive to rest that flying J domestically versus Y domestically is important, then they shouldn't be flying at all to get to work.
FWIW, I don't subscribe to the argument that deadheading in Y has any impact on a crewmember's ability to safely fly a plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.