Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Air Canada New meal offerings for International Business Class Customers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: Air Canada New meal offerings for International Business Class Customers

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2015, 2:15 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Yesterday AC006 HND YYZ - new menu for August 2015

Did anyone notice the newly added and separate "EXPRESS OPTION" in addition to the now altered "FLEXIBLE OPTION"?

Basically, EXPRESS OPTION is now ONLY the appetizer, salad, cheese, and fruit after takeoff.

FLEXIBLE OPTION is just like the old flexible option, but you can't do it after takeoff!!!

What happened on my flight makes sense to me now because the crew never asked for meal order prior to takeoff like they do 99% of the time for TATL/TPAC flights. Although my meal order was taken first as AC*SM, it was done ONLY after the seatbelt sign was extinguished after take-off.

I do not like this change.

Let's say 2 possibilities:
1. Some pax want to eat a light meal and then go to sleep on the evening TATLs.
I have found not everyone sleeps on the westbound TPACS ex-YVR

2. Pax order the hot meals it but after a few bites, don't like it and/or can't cut it, and leave the rest on the plate (some pax refuse the main hot dish altogether).

Based on reports/feedback/counts, airline discovers they can save money by not providing the full meal unless it is requested and then it will be served later.

Or maybe they did a focus group. Who really knows. Seems to me it's more work for the crew having to serve meals multiple times.

Further, how do they know who will want which type of meal and then ensure adequate quantities are boarded?

Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 24left
Seems to me it's more work for the crew having to serve meals multiple times.
I think the problem is serving someone the entire meal "quickly" takes too much time away from the "regular" meal service for everyone else. If you want your meal RFN, you can have the stuff that's quick and easy for the crew.

If you want it during a time when they're less busy, you can get the whole thing.

It actually seems reasonable.

Further, how do they know who will want which type of meal and then ensure adequate quantities are boarded?

How is that a new problem?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I think the problem is serving someone the entire meal "quickly" takes too much time away from the "regular" meal service for everyone else. If you want your meal RFN, you can have the stuff that's quick and easy for the crew.

If you want it during a time when they're less busy, you can get the whole thing.

It actually seems reasonable.
That is my guess too
Old Aug 4, 2015, 4:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Based on reports/feedback/counts, airline discovers they can save money by not providing the full meal unless it is requested and then it will be served later.
Absolutely positively not. It is about providing a consistent and fast option right across the board. Due to certain aircraft limitations (2-767's, 787's & 777HD's) there is not always vacant oven space to ensure fast and smooth delivery of an Express meal consistently. I'm certain many FT'ers have seen variances in delivery times because of this issue. Another point touched upon was that increased numbers of Express meals delayed the commencement of service to other Customers. Every aircraft type has a preset number of Express trays, and accommodating requests in excess of the set trays required additional assembly, further staggering general cabin service.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Absolutely positively not. It is about providing a consistent and fast option right across the board. Due to certain aircraft limitations (2-767's, 787's & 777HD's) there is not always vacant oven space to ensure fast and smooth delivery of an Express meal consistently. I'm certain many FT'ers have seen variances in delivery times because of this issue. Another point touched upon was that increased numbers of Express meals delayed the commencement of service to other Customers. Every aircraft type has a preset number of Express trays, and accommodating requests in excess of the set trays required additional assembly, further staggering general cabin service.

Seems to me the challenge is accommodating so many pax with different preferences. Is any one approach going to work the same on TATAL/TPAC flights? (I obviously understand aircraft limitations)
Old Aug 4, 2015, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Blah blah blah.

All makes sense obviously. Yes, serving times have varied for various reasons, including that of flex meal option with entree after takeoff.

In any case, I think the change sucks.

Some of you don't travel int'l much like I do - on such flights my routine is to have flex meal with hot entree first almost all the time. So yeah, for me this sucks.

On the flip side, I will look at this positively - I will continue getting the flex option and the lack of hot entree will help me not gain weight ! I'll just eat the appetizer, have the salad, maybe have some fruit, and then call it quits!
Old Aug 4, 2015, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Thanks for the explanation!

I suppose that makes some sense, but from a customer perspective this still is disappointing.

I'm sure you could comment on how many pax (and what type) order the express meal. IME it's mostly FFers / SEs who know the drill:

- if you want something to eat within 20-30min after take-off, you order the cold tray
- if you order the express option incl. the main course, it takes it a little longer (unscientific observation: I usually get the express meal the same time the bar service commences). Yes, service delivery varies depending on aircraft (and crew!), but even a "slow" express meal is much better than regular meal service.

The only point I could see is that it delays the regular meal service, since I don't know much about the oven config and how long it takes to heat up a meal, I obviously can't comment on that.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 7:10 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Thanks for the explanation!

I suppose that makes some sense, but from a customer perspective this still is disappointing.

I'm sure you could comment on how many pax (and what type) order the express meal. IME it's mostly FFers / SEs who know the drill:

- if you want something to eat within 20-30min after take-off, you order the cold tray
- if you order the express option incl. the main course, it takes it a little longer (unscientific observation: I usually get the express meal the same time the bar service commences). Yes, service delivery varies depending on aircraft (and crew!), but even a "slow" express meal is much better than regular meal service.

The only point I could see is that it delays the regular meal service, since I don't know much about the oven config and how long it takes to heat up a meal, I obviously can't comment on that.
The only thing that is constant > the later the flight the higher the number of Express requests. Record was 26/42 on the SCL flight departing @ 23:55. As a rule, I take care of Express distribution and it commences roughly 10 minutes after the seat belt sign has been switched off.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only thing that is constant > the later the flight the higher the number of Express requests. Record was 26/42 on the SCL flight departing @ 23:55. As a rule, I take care of Express distribution and it commences roughly 10 minutes after the seat belt sign has been switched off.
Wow.

I guess I learnt something today. I always assumed an inverted u-shaped relationship between departure time and demand for J meals. (i.e. little demand on early flights, increase in demand for express meals the later the flight is, but on the very late departures there's less interest again).

But I guess pax want to enjoy the meal they paid for.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 7:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Wow.

I guess I learnt something today. I always assumed an inverted u-shaped relationship between departure time and demand for J meals. (i.e. little demand on early flights, increase in demand for express meals the later the flight is, but on the very late departures there's less interest again).

But I guess pax want to enjoy the meal they paid for.
I remember flying 156 or 162 recently, and the FA was shocked that I didn't want anything. "You don't even want us to save your first choice for you?"

"No, I want to sleep."
Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Dorian
The beef was always a great dish.

Seriously?

I've always found the beef tenderloin to be the most inconsistent dish they serve. Occasionally it will be pink and fairly tender, but typically it arrives as a shriveled up hockey puck that has been cooked way too long for tenderloin but not quite long enough to become a pot roast.

AC please give me one or the other.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Hm, if this means it's no longer possible to get the salad, main course, cheese and fruit all at once briefly after take-off, that would definitely be disappointing. It's what I usually do on any flight departing after 9p.m. and IMO it's one of the aspects which sets AC J apart from most of its competitors, especially on TATL flights.
Agree.

I appreciated the ability to get a quick dinner then go off to sleep. Now we'll either have to eat before boarding or do the 2-hour full meal service.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The Lev
Agree.

I appreciated the ability to get a quick dinner then go off to sleep. Now we'll either have to eat before boarding or do the 2-hour full meal service.
Fully agree. I usually choose the express option on TATL flights ex-YYZ/YUL/YOW and generally skip breakfast in order to maximize sleep (and I've generally been successful in getting ~4.5h of sleep which is good enough to keep me going the following day).
Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
I'm a tad confused. I know this is a side tangent, but it's still partly relevant.

How is it that BR can do essentially an AC "express" meal service with a hot meal after about 20 minutes or so after being level? I will time this exactly next week. And AC cannot?
Old Aug 7, 2015, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
And AC cannot?
More like "AC will not".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.