Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

why can't I check-in online? (OLCI)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2014, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ACA 35K, Omni Select Guest Black

I'm booked on a one-way ticket A->B then B->C ... A and B in Canada, and C in the USA. Both flights tomorrow. A->B is 1pm-2pm tomorrow, B->C is 4:30pm-6pm tomorrow. It's now 5:40pm today. When I go through the OLCI process, after entering all my passport info etc, I get a screen that says:

Unfortunately, your check-in request cannot be completed.

Please note aircanada.com check-in is available:

for Air Canada flights departing from a city in Canada, from select US cities and from select international cities
between 45 minutes and 24 hours prior to departure for all flights within Canada
between 1 and 24 hours prior for flights between Canada and the USA
between 1 and 24 hours prior for all other flights
with one of the following identification methods:
- the Aeroplan number stored in your reservation file
- your booking reference number
from the USA, when you have an electronic ticket
Please try again, verifying the identification method and flight departure time, or see an Air Canada agent at the airport.

Please note: Air Canada Reservations agents at the call center cannot assist with check-in as they do not have access to airport systems.

so ...

Whassup?
Old Aug 16, 2014, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

PS I am trying this now because I just got the email from AC telling me I can check in online.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 4:00 pm

SSSS.

You've been selected for random security screening. There's about nothing you can do now but check in at the airport.

Sorry.

If you are flying out of Canada, make sure that the nice CATSA folks don't forget to do what they are supposed to (sometimes you need to remind them) and make sure to get their stamp on your boarding pass, or you won't be allowed on the plane.
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

selected by whom exactly???
Old Aug 16, 2014, 4:45 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Basically, if you boot a one way ticket, male and going into the US, expect a SSSS on your boarding pass.

Depending on the situation, it is ironically faster via security. You are taken to the front of the line while they inspect your unmentionables. If the lineup is sizable, you sometimes end up ahead
Old Aug 16, 2014, 6:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lcohen999
Basically, if you boot a one way ticket, male and going into the US, expect a SSSS on your boarding pass.

Depending on the situation, it is ironically faster via security. You are taken to the front of the line while they inspect your unmentionables. If the lineup is sizable, you sometimes end up ahead
That is definitely not always the case. I had SSSS once in YVR, and I was not taken to the front of the line. I lined up with everyone else, and then they did the extra screening once I was at the front.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 7:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by lcohen999

Depending on the situation, it is ironically faster via security. You are taken to the front of the line while they inspect your unmentionables.
What unmentionables?
Old Aug 16, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by yscleo
What unmentionables?
You tell us tomorrow
Old Aug 16, 2014, 9:38 pm

Yup. Probably SSSS. Happened to me once on a one way flight to the USA. Awfully annoying because they ask questions that they don't usually ask. I have a foreign passport and during the SSSS inspection, the person who is my ethnicity started talking to me in the local language to test me if I knew how to speak it. He asked me in my language, "where did you get this passport from". Awfully annoying and frankly none of their business, but I complied.

They didn't strip you or anything. The just make you go through the other scanner where you put your arms up and do a bomb/drug swipe sample on you.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 12:17 am

Programs: AC Aeroplan, BA Executive, DL Skymiles, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, National Executive Elite
[QUOTE=lcohen999;23375119]Basically, if you boot a one way ticket, male and going into the US, expect a SSSS on your boarding pass.
/QUOTE]

I'm a male in his 20's who buys one way tickets to the US all the time and has never gotten an SSSS. Granted I get swabbed on occasion (but I've seen small children being swabbed) and I have NEXUS. Maybe I'm just lucky...
Old Aug 17, 2014, 8:09 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
I would guess SSSS as well. I got it number of times. I fly often and usually buy last minute tickets. They say the process is random, but i think CATSA's definition of "random" is different than ours.

I've gotten this on AC, Delta, AA, so nothing AC can do.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 8:25 am

Programs: AC*E, HH*G
Originally Posted by GateGuardian
I would guess SSSS as well. I got it number of times. I fly often and usually buy last minute tickets. They say the process is random, but i think CATSA's definition of "random" is different than ours.

I've gotten this on AC, Delta, AA, so nothing AC can do.
From what I understand of the system (those that know about it officially, a group of which I am not a part, apparently aren't allowed to talk about its details) is that there is a scoring system that assigns SSSS to certain itineraries, as described by other posters.

There is also a minimum number/ratio of an airline's passengers that have to be flagged per flight (or per hour, or something.) If there is a gap between what the volume tagged by the "scoring system", the rest to bring it up to the minimum is random(esque.)
Old Aug 17, 2014, 1:58 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
I do not think it is SSSS. This has happened to me a few times this year as I do multi city trips and the reason is AC's system see's the onward flight as a connection, specially if less than 24 hrs and a glitch prevents the OLCI because it is looking at the T-24 for the next flight and seeing that it's not time yet. For what its worth, Ben from AC could not solve this either. The AC phone line cannot solve because this can only be resolved at the airport, so nothing to do other than check in early at the airport.
My last time this happened was AC from YYZ-BOS, then the next flight was less than 24 hrs for BOS -XNA on UA. Airport checkin agent explained the issue.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:48 pm

Programs: AC 1MM/SE 100K, MR Lifetime Premiere Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Probably the only consistent time I've used the SE/Concierge perk is to have them print out an SSSS boarding pass for me ahead of time
Old Apr 14, 2016, 7:14 am

Programs: NEXUS, UA Club
Is there an issue using web check in for an AC flight that was ticketed by UA as a UA codeshare? I am unable to check in for my flight tomorrow from EWR, and have never had an issue before, although this is the first time I've booked the flight through UA as a UA codeshare rather than directly on aircanada.com. Kind of annoying as I was hoping to check in online since I have no bags to check and didn't want to get to the airport too early.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.