Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Calgary Maple Leaf Lounge Access Policy Change

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:30 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
Visited this AM for the first time in a while. The renos-so far-look great. The place seems brighter, airier, and more modern.

There is still a lot of construction going on around the lounge. It was very loud, and you could hear everything the construction crews were doing.

I was there around 11am, so before "peak" time. It was very full, and it was hard to find a place to sit. I wonder what the number of lounge guests per day is like in YYC vs. YVR or YYZ? I really hope the new lounge, once completed, is huge. YYC really needs a monster lounge to keep up with the number of FFs...

I should also point out that the lounge was still the nicest place in the terminal...the place was, as always, jam packed.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
First time in YYC MLL in many months. Upgrades look nice. Men's lav has three toilets and three urinals which I find mind boggling to say the least. Right side of lounge by entrance and bar still under construction though.

Still a frickin' zoo though.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 8:26 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Agreed that it's coming along nicely. I was in the YYC MLL for the first time in 2015 last week (all travel to the US so far this year) and I was fairly happy with how things were looking at this stage. Looking forward to it being done and hopefully less ridiculously busy in there though.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:57 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)

Dunno if anyone posted this yet, but chatted with the lounge agents recently at YYC MLL about the restrictions and they said they basically relax them between 10 am and 3 pm on weekdays. Just fyi.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by capebretonboy
Dunno if anyone posted this yet, but chatted with the lounge agents recently at YYC MLL about the restrictions and they said they basically relax them between 10 am and 3 pm on weekdays. Just fyi.
Back in September, Ben Lipsey posted here (post #76) that the YYC MLL access restrictions were being pulled back from 11:00-6:30 to only be in effect from 3:00-6:30. And Ben made no distinction between weekdays and weekends.

Is that what the Calgary agents there were referring to? From what they said, are they still enforcing the initial restrictions 11am-3pm on a discretionary basis (which, I guess, would mean that the lounge is reaching capacity during the mid-day hours??) Or are they just reflecting what Ben L said here last fall?

I just looked to see if AC.com has updated details about access, and the info posted there doesn't reflect Ben's update in this thread from 7 months ago. (The only 'news' post I see on Air Canada's site is the original one from last summer, stating access restrictions are in place from 11:30am-6:30pm.)
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerJ
I just looked to see if AC.com has updated details about access, and the info posted there doesn't reflect Ben's update in this thread from 7 months ago. (The only 'news' post I see on Air Canada's site is the original one from last summer, stating access restrictions are in place from 11:30am-6:30pm.)
I will be in the YYC MLL this Sunday morning, so I will ask the agents again.
Old May 3, 2015, 10:37 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Any update, capebretonboy? (Bump!)
Old May 6, 2015, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by FlyerJ
Any update, capebretonboy? (Bump!)
FlyerJ - I forgot to ask on Sunday, but I stopped in today when I arrived back from YOW and the lounge agent there essentially confirmed what you wrote upthread. Lounge restrictions were once in effect from 11:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. (still listed as such on AC.com), but have now been relaxed to between 3 - 6:30 p.m.
Old May 6, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
It's 7:30 AM Wednesday May 6th and the restriction exists, on the door! I asked the LD and she said common sense, they want to avoid over crowding!

Good crowd of suits this morning, not too busy, lots of buzz over the NDP win, some fear, mostly dismay. Getting a kick of so many sharing their view of what will happen now. Scares me that some of these guys run companies!

...Anyways YYC MLL is looking very nice, slowly getting there!
Old May 6, 2015, 6:49 pm

I was told by more than one MLL staffer that the rules have been relaxed.
Old May 13, 2015, 5:47 am

Programs: AC 1MM among other not very important stuff.
Who do the restrictions keep out? Not many from the look of it.
They either need to make it harder to get in; or build another or bigger lounge.
It's usually busier in the lounge than in the airport...so i tend to avoid it.
Old May 25, 2015, 8:30 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Very pleasant in here this morning, very few people.

Anyone know if a WiFi upgrade was part of the reno? Working great this morning and it's not just because of the light load - when I connected, it was showing 217 Mbps, which is way better than I've ever seen it before.
Old May 26, 2015, 11:07 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Ben has made it clear (I know because I brought it up before) that tipping is not going to be part of the culture in the MLL. Neither expected or supported in any way.
Oh great so now the lounge staff will work extra hard
Old May 26, 2015, 5:15 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Restrictions are definitely being relaxed. On Victoria Day, my parents entered with lounge passes at 10:00am. I entered with my wife, sister and brother in law, no passes, at 11:00am.
Old May 31, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold
Does anyone have any experience using the YYC MLL upon arrival from a domestic flight? I believe the arrivals benefit is based upon space, and if it's crowded, would they favour departing passengers over arriving ones? Thinking about dropping in after arriving on a Wednesday evening; hopefully it's not too busy then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.