Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Calgary Maple Leaf Lounge Access Policy Change

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Calgary Maple Leaf Lounge Access Policy Change

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2014, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
So you want a Taj Mahal/white elephant? And you are willing to pay for it?

For the longest time, YYC was just fine. Of course traffic has been growing, and probably more than anyone dared to expect. But in the larger scheme of things, they have done a reasonable job at managing growth. Without spending the kitchen sink.
???

Have you been to YYC is the last year? they are building said Taj Mahal; 5-10 years too late...

Reasonable job at managing growth; have you been to any other Canadian airport?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hearna
???

Have you been to YYC is the last year? they are building said Taj Mahal; 5-10 years too late...

Reasonable job at managing growth; have you been to any other Canadian airport?
I live in Calgary. When not traveling, that is.

I have no problem with YYC.

I hope the thing they are building is not really a Taj Mahal, a la YVR or YYZ.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 7:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Maybe Calgary will get a new arena....5 - 10 years too late.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:19 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by tcook052
Maybe Calgary will get a new arena....5 - 10 years too late.
Hopefully the Flames will pay for it themselves. Not like the monstrosity in Edmonton that will leave taxpayers on the hook. All taxpayers in Alberta. Seriously if you are taking pride as an Edmontonian in that nonsense...
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by ridefar
Hopefully the Flames will pay for it themselves..
Yeah, right 600+ million paid for by the Flames. Poor Calgary, so behind the times.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:55 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by yvr76
UA's zoned boarding has *G board with Zone 2 and their credit card holders.
OT, but on my last few United flights I was in Group 1. I'm E50K.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:56 pm

Hopefully the Flames will pay for it themselves. Not like the monstrosity in Edmonton that will leave taxpayers on the hook. All taxpayers in Alberta. Seriously if you are taking pride as an Edmontonian in that nonsense...
That's something we can all agree on; but when we, the traveling public, pour millions of dollars into AIF's and for what; to endure the overcrowded prison that is YYC; thats just BS.

P.S. Stranger; as a Calgarian I don't value your opinion very much on the city or anything it has to offer; because like most residents; you seem to paint Calgary to a much higher place then it actually is;

Your next statement is going to be what; that the deerfoot is an amazing highway?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 9:31 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by gglave
OT, but on my last few United flights I was in Group 1. I'm E50K.
Me too...always zone 1 as E50k on UA
Old Jul 31, 2014, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hopefully the Flames will pay for it themselves.
I sure would not want to contribute to another white elephant...

Originally Posted by hearna

P.S. Stranger; as a Calgarian I don't value your opinion very much on the city or anything it has to offer; because like most residents; you seem to paint Calgary to a much higher place then it actually is;

Your next statement is going to be what; that the deerfoot is an amazing highway?
Hmmm...

Not sure what to say, really. I don't particularly recognize myself in the way you seem to perceive me.

In our book, best thing about Calgary is the mountain view from the back of our house. From inside and from our deck.

Otherwise, my perception is that the good old Calgary inferiority complex is slowly fading. Maybe a bit too slowly though?

Last edited by tcook052; Aug 1, 2014 at 5:57 am
Old Aug 1, 2014, 1:45 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by chovaz
Me too...always zone 1 as E50k on UA
Are you buying J fares? You shouldn't be in Group 1, as I understood it Group 1 was for J, Global Services and....military? Usually when I'm on UA it's after an AC or CM flight so my boarding passes typically don't get group assignments, that said when I do, or a BP gets re-issued I'm in 2 as an E50.

On the topic of public spending, no one will ever agree on this. I'm a Canucks season ticket holder and do I want the newest building all the time? Yes. Do I wanna pay for it, F no. My thing on these is (forgive my ignorance if I'm wrong) if we pony up say 500mil how is it that the profits from the events at the building go directly to the owner which ends up often being the corporate entity representing the team, Ie: the Aquilini Group or the Katz Company or whatever he's called. To me, sure we'll give you a new arena, you get part of the gates etc etc, but we should be getting paid our 500mil back over the longer term from proceeds generated by the building. It's "for us" to attract better events and such, well then let's pay for it, but that means I wanna see profits coming back our way or at the very least a repayment of what should be a LOAN, not a gift to the owner.

To the lounge...lots of this is dependent on what day/time you fly too. I've been through YYC and been shocked at how many people were in there. Some people being totally rude too, if you're sitting at the computer desk not using it, then politely move when someone wants to use it...that said, it's 2014, if you're a business traveler and desperately need to check your email...get a f***ing smart phone genius. The worst day I saw the little conference room table was occupied by 1 guy with all his stuff spread out over the table as well, I just thought that's too much. All that being said, flew out of YYC on a red eye, practically nobody in there after 9pm. I'm flying mostly on Tuesdays now, the place is dead, as is the YVR MLL, it's great.

Lastly, there must be some kind of maximum capacity in there no? I'm used to seeing the signs in public places but I've never spotted one there. Obviously there's room for more people than just the 50-75 chairs that exist, but maybe they should be a bit more rigid on a cap and just say "sir we're at capacity I'm sorry"...along with not letting in guests below SE (which I'm fine with), the no pass rule and scrap 35k like they did with 25k, it's pointless.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Right now, the YYC MLL SUCKS. I was there a few weeks ago when it was undergoing construction. IT SUCKS.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

Did I say that it SUCKS?
Old Aug 1, 2014, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Right now, the YYC MLL SUCKS. I was there a few weeks ago when it was undergoing construction. IT SUCKS.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

Did I say that it SUCKS?
Avoid at all costs? You mean, it's better just to stay in the boarding area?

(Visiting the lounge on Sunday. Hopefully in the morning, if I can do a same day change.)
Old Aug 1, 2014, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Avoid at all costs? You mean, it's better just to stay in the boarding area?

(Visiting the lounge on Sunday. Hopefully in the morning, if I can do a same day change.)
No, more like, don't go through YYC if you have a choice!

Now that I think of it... just go into the MLL to eat some food and then go back out into the gate lice area.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyznomad
No, more like, don't go through YYC if you have a choice!

Now that I think of it... just go into the MLL to eat some food and then go back out into the gate lice area.
You mean, as usual...

As to avoiding YYC, I just live here. I won't drive to Red Deer.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You mean, as usual...

As to avoiding YYC, I just live here. I won't drive to Red Deer.
Yeah I know. I was just sayin'. Looking forward to the "enhancements" of the YYC MLL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.