Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

cancelling tickets with discount code

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2014, 6:58 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I have my 82 parents on a flight to YYZ to connect to a long haul which has been equipment and schedule changed. This is going to insert them a 2 hour delay, so I need to look at changing this feeder flight (which can't be included in the Aeroplan ticket because you know, no availability ever). Just looking at it now, booked well in advance, I used a discount code on it.

The question is, since that is consumed in this booking, if I cancel it outright does it go away or is it re-instated for use again?
Old Jul 5, 2014, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by tyberius
I have my 82 parents on a flight to YYZ...
Wow, did you charter a whole plane? Is it some sort of reunion? How do you remember all their birthdays and anniversaries?!

Depends upon the type of discount code it was. The ones openly issued for various routes/regions are time limited so would not be available for use again unless they've not expired. If it's one from a broken IFE or other inflight compensation, you should be able to have the agent apply a similar discount on the rebooked ticket. However, if you plan to use it for a different new booking, it may not have further life.

However, for the difference of 2-hours, why bother changing the feeder flight and paying all the change fees and possible higher fare? Buy them two MLL passes.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 7:26 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Wow, did you charter a whole plane? Is it some sort of reunion? How do you remember all their birthdays and anniversaries?!

Depends upon the type of discount code it was. The ones openly issued for various routes/regions are time limited so would not be available for use again unless they've not expired. If it's one from a broken IFE or other inflight compensation, you should be able to have the agent apply a similar discount on the rebooked ticket. However, if you plan to use it for a different new booking, it may not have further life.

However, for the difference of 2-hours, why bother changing the feeder flight and paying all the change fees and possible higher fare? Buy them two MLL passes.
They will be in the lounge already. The reason for wanting to shorten it is that they were going YYZ-HND on the 787. This was going to be a lot easier on the body than on the 777 as they got schedule and equipment changed into this by 4 days when the 787 gets pulled from this route (it was originally not supposed to be pulled).

So, 82 years old (oops), getting there before the first flight, hour plus feeder flight, old 2 hour wait between flights, plus now additional 2+ hours, and then the 13 hour flight to Haneda on downgraded equipment... it is a long day for anyone but at 82 it is a very long day.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 7:30 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Oh the discount used was a 20% one they got for a baggage disaster the last time they flew with AC. Nice discount, but nobody around here buys AC tickets due to all of the thousand reasons I rant about. This was the only opportunity to use it so it was used.

If it was a 5% I'd just shrug but it is worthwhile to recover a 20%, especially since it's a schedule/equipment changed forced on them and the 2 hours does really mean a lot in this situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.