Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Upgrade using Aeroplan Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2014, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC *G, A3 *G

Hi

When upgrading a flight say from yyz - tpe -bkk - cnx on Eva Air and Thai for 25,000 Aeroplan miles Asia 1.

Is this upgrade only good for one flight or how does this work?

The second flight from tpe - bkk is on Eva Air the third bkk - cnx on Thai and the flight is all on one ticket if that matters.

Also correct me if I am wrong I will still be credited Aeroplan miles to my account for the flights taken even if the flight(s) are upgraded.

Cheers
Old Jun 26, 2014, 1:28 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by thai1
Hi

When upgrading a flight say from yyz - tpe -bkk - cnx on Eva Air and Thai for 25,000 Aeroplan miles Asia 1.

Is this upgrade only good for one flight or how does this work?

The second flight from tpe - bkk is on Eva Air the third bkk - cnx on Thai and the flight is all on one ticket if that matters.

Also correct me if I am wrong I will still be credited Aeroplan miles to my account for the flights taken even if the flight(s) are upgraded.

Cheers
The award chart is per segment per person.

The 25K for Asia 1 from NA is only good for the YYZ-TPE segment. It's another 10K for each intra Asia1 segment.

You're credited miles based on the original booking class.

Full T&Cs here: https://www3.aeroplan.com/saua/Guidelines.do
Old Jun 27, 2014, 9:43 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I never knew this was available! I just assumed you could only upgrade on the airline you collected with (IE: via eUpgrades on AC). Now I'm trying to figure out exactly how it works, I'm not sure I'll ever really have enough miles to wanna burn them this way, but I'm thinking 20,000 miles to skip the entire customs line from SAL-MDE at midnight might not be a bad idea. But I'm trying to figure out a couple things if someone could enlighten me....

1) Why would it be more to upgrade from a business fare than an econ fare? Isn't the principal based on upgrading an econ fare to get a business seat? What would I get if I already had a business fare then upgraded?

2) Is there any YQ attached to this?

3) Anyone know how to track down my booking class from a orbitz.com fare? I'm assuming it's the lowest (as usual) and thus wouldn't qualify for this, but when I started looking around I couldn't find it. Checked my status of the booking on avianca's website, never found it there either.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by drvannostren
I never knew this was available! I just assumed you could only upgrade on the airline you collected with (IE: via eUpgrades on AC). Now I'm trying to figure out exactly how it works, I'm not sure I'll ever really have enough miles to wanna burn them this way, but I'm thinking 20,000 miles to skip the entire customs line from SAL-MDE at midnight might not be a bad idea. But I'm trying to figure out a couple things if someone could enlighten me....

1) Why would it be more to upgrade from a business fare than an econ fare? Isn't the principal based on upgrading an econ fare to get a business seat? What would I get if I already had a business fare then upgraded?

2) Is there any YQ attached to this?

3) Anyone know how to track down my booking class from a orbitz.com fare? I'm assuming it's the lowest (as usual) and thus wouldn't qualify for this, but when I started looking around I couldn't find it. Checked my status of the booking on avianca's website, never found it there either.
1a) Because J --> F is usually more than Y ---> J.
1b) You would get F ( if available)

2) No.
3) Usually you can upgrade only Y or B fares to Business, any business fare
can be upgraded to First.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
... any business fare can be upgraded to First.
Many discounted business fares cannot be upgraded...
http://www3.aeroplan.com/saua/Guidelines.do
Old Jun 28, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
It's generally only fully flexible fares (Y/B or J/C/D) that can be upgraded. No discounted or inflexible fares will allow it. The inventory is the same as for reward flights.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 4:17 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Anybody have experience/knowledge about using *A upgrade/Aeroplan with NZ from Premium economy?

I know most require full fare fully flexible fares to be eligible for upgrade, but I have no idea if NZ's PE fares are upgradable, what fare they book into and who would I contact to get more information; Aeroplan or NZ?

Any insight would be appreciated.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 5:15 pm

The chart shows which farecodes can be upgraded:
Air New Zealand (NZ) Economy class: E, O, U booking classes
Old Aug 14, 2014, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like requesting a Star Alliance upgrade can now be done on aeroplan.com?

So, question 1, anyone here used that and how did it go?

And question 2, I seem to recall that these come out of the same inventory as Aeroplan rewards, correct?
Old Aug 14, 2014, 9:36 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Stranger

And question 2, I seem to recall that these come out of the same inventory as Aeroplan rewards, correct?
Tried and failed, no inventory every time I've tried. (Couple of times on NH Y fares, UA B fare)
Old Aug 14, 2014, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yeg2where
Tried and failed, no inventory every time I've tried. (Couple of times on NH Y fares, UA B fare)
But did you check if there was regular award inventory? Probably not.

In the case of interest to me, there is.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:02 pm

Yes, I've done it with a UA flight and it worked.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by Stranger

It's always been online at Aeroplan.com for me, at least since May/June 2013

1. I used it on EVA, upgraded B-class economy into Z-class Royal Laurel business class.

There's issue getting the original mileage credit though (~7500) and that took months to sort out

2. Yes
Old Aug 15, 2014, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jerryhung
It's always been online at Aeroplan.com for me, at least since May/June 2013

1. I used it on EVA, upgraded B-class economy into Z-class Royal Laurel business class.

2. Yes
Thanks.

Does the system allow upgrading legs in B/Y class if some other leg is in a non-upgradeable class?

Looking at YYC-TPE on BR one way, seems the YYC-YVR leg on AC books in W even if the BR leg from YVR to TPE is in B.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:28 pm

Programs: AC MM SE; SPG Plat; Hilton Gold
I have done the *A upgrade with AP points with Ethiopian Airlines (EA) and Singapore Airlines (SQ). Several points to keep in mind:
-its somewhat a chicken and egg re process. You can see from the AP chart what flight class you need to book into. It will be somewhat more than the cheapest fare you can book just to earn AP miles. You may or may not get that fare on line so may need to call the airline to book your ticket (relatively easy with SQ, less so with EA). You have to book the fare, you then get a booking reference number and then you check on AP site if you can do the upgrade. If yes, good. If no availability you will have paid for a higher class fare without any benefit. Seeing beforehand if you can book the flight on an award basis on AP site can help here as the upgrade and award are from the same inventory, but what the AP site tells you for award availability is not always accurate. So you may want to call in.
- if you are successful and get the upgrade make sure you do not change your itinerary or the upgrade disappears. Re EA I left YOW to YYZ on AC earlier than I had originally booked and at YYZ EA said my upgrade YYZ to Addis had been cancelled. I got it back with the help of AP but probably because no one understood the rules and what happened. Probably a YMMV situation, but best to not make changes to be safe.
-if you want to change your flight with the upgraded airline you may / will have problems. SQ would not let me change on one of their flights because I was J due to an *A upgrade from AP and it did not matter I said just fly me economy and forget me getting back my points. SQ said only AP could make the change and AP said its SQ. I was able to 3 way call with a great agent at AP who linked in SQ and made it work but it took almost an hour on the phone and an expensive phone bill.

So *A upgrade is sometimes doable but not without hassles and perils. Of course when it works its great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.