Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lowest Fare to U.K. "V" ?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2002, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Lowest Fare to U.K. "V" ?

I will be making several trips from YYZ to Man over the next few months. I have tried every booking engine and the lowest fare class to MAN or LHR is "V" Travelocity "Fare Listings"does not show any fare lower than "V"

What does this mean for future S.E. upgrades? "M" or "Y" The trips are for personal reasons hence my search for lower prices. Oh well back to "My Travel" A.K.A. Airtours.

Biggles.
Old Aug 3, 2002, 8:22 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

The lowest published fare is usually 'V' if you buy direct from AC. The only time it gets lower than that is when there are seat sales.

If you want to get lower fares, try a travel agent. They should have 'Q' fares for MAN & LHR (About $750 for Sept, $650 for Oct...).
Old Aug 3, 2002, 10:50 pm

If you are looking for Star Alliance operated flights only, another alternative is to fly YYZ-ORD-MAN crossing the Atlantic with British Midland (alternative connection point is Washington DC). I personally would prefer this routing over shuffling through Heathrow early in the morning with sleep deprivation.

I believe similar routings exist with AA et al...
Old Aug 4, 2002, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Now FlyBoy, do you really think changing from the domestic terminals at ORD to the International one [using that dinky little train] during the peak afternoon flight period is any more pleasant than doing an airside transfer from T3 to T1 at LHR? But I have heard good things about BD's transAtlantic service from those who flew it to the ORD FT do back in June. BTW, has it stopped raining in Manchester yet?
Old Aug 4, 2002, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Empress,

I have been able to bring up "Q" fares on travelocity before. Not any more, and the lowest "V" is about the same price as you quoted for "Q" Also on PTO the cheapest fare that comes up has the Sat night stay and return within 9 months. So it is a "V" Before the cheapest "Q" fare on PTO would have "min stay 7 days" Trust me...something is going on here.

Biggles.
Old Aug 4, 2002, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Fly Boy,

Cheapest flights to the U.K. from YYZ would be on U.S. Air. I did fly British Midland from ORD on my last trip. Best flight and service I have ever had.

Biggles.
Old Aug 5, 2002, 8:52 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
Coach on US Airways to Europe is apparently quite good. The A-330 Economy class seats feature a personal video-on-demand entertainment system, laptop power ports, adjustable head-rest and lumbar support. It sure beats flying an AC domestic 767-200!
Old Aug 5, 2002, 9:02 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyerAl:
Coach on US Airways to Europe is apparently quite good. The A-330 Economy class seats feature a personal video-on-demand entertainment system, laptop power ports, adjustable head-rest and lumbar support. It sure beats flying an AC domestic 767-200!</font>
FA: Only "quite good" not "award winning" You're slipping
Old Aug 5, 2002, 11:34 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shareholder:
do you really think changing from the domestic terminals at ORD to the International one [using that dinky little train] during the peak afternoon flight period is any more pleasant than doing an airside transfer from T3 to T1 at LHR?</font>
Airside transfer off an international flight to a domestic flight? When considering queues for immigration customs formalities at LHR in the morning I would definately prefer doing the connection before the transatlantic leg. And it goes without saying that AC would be my last choice of carrier to cross the Atlantic.
Old Aug 5, 2002, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Just checked with the S.E. desk. NOT a single "Q" or "L" fare on any flight to the U.K.. Checked from Now through March 2003.
"V" is now the lowest bookable fare!

Biggles.
Old Aug 5, 2002, 7:11 pm

'V' is the lowest PUBLISHED fare for the YYZ-UK routes. You'll sometimes see 'Q' and 'L' when AC decides to further discount fares on those routes. (For example, AC has a QLON02 fare for travel before Sept 8 to LHR)

Otherwise, the only way you could get 'Q' year round is from a travel agent.
Old Aug 5, 2002, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
FlyBoy is correct. I am so used to doing the transfer from T3 to T1 to get to Europe, I forgot this was a "domestic" connection departing from the other end of the terminal, and thus requiring clearing UK Immigration and Customs.

Just for interest, have you checked out destina.ca to see if they have Q fares as a travel agency?
Old Aug 6, 2002, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Just spoke to my company travel agent. The cheapest fare he can book is a "V". "Q" and "L" are wide open but are only for through fares from other countries and seat sales. He checked a consolidator and got a "L" fare but it is only $40.00 less than a "V".

I know that I have booked "Q" fares through A.C. Perhaps you can only book them when a seat sale is on.

Shareholder,

You had a Q or L fare for your flight to
Europe for the 55.500 run. Did you book that through P.T.O?

Have found a flight with "Emirates" New York to Man for $220 U.S. Now I have to get to New York

Biggles.
Old Aug 6, 2002, 10:06 am

I think Shareholder booked it while the last seat sale was on.

Biggles, this thread might interest you in terms of earning miles on Star Alliance programs while flying on Emirates:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum82/HTML/000983.html
Old Aug 6, 2002, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Empress is correct. I made my booking back during the March seat sale for travel in mid-May. As well, it was actually a through fare booking, since my actual destination was AMS. Outbound I went via LHR, return via FRA. Booking was made on the AC website, not PTO or destina.ca.

Flying via JFK is not the greatest option as you must get from either EWR or LGA to JFK. But the Emerate's fare sounds pretty good, even if it is US$. In fact, with taxes and fees, it is likely what you'll pay for your YYZ-NYC flights!

I would suggest holding off on booking any flights you may need to do into and after October, until a week or two past Labour Day. I suspect AC will have their first fall Seat Sale, including European and other international destinations, advertised during the first week of September, second at the latest. You should be able to get lots of Q fares then.

[This message has been edited by Shareholder (edited 08-06-2002).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.