Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FREE Early Standby for the Edmonton-Calgary-Vancouver Triangle!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FREE Early Standby for the Edmonton-Calgary-Vancouver Triangle!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2015, 2:03 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Well if you're using a benefit (standby) that you're supposed to pay more for, it does cost them money. Some people might pay for Flex because of the free standby, and if you can get free standby on Tango, why bother paying?
I recognize the thinking, I just don't think it makes any sense.

Anyway, tried it today at YYC and the GA told me that AC YYC management had specifically cracked down on this. He used the term "three strikes and we're out" for GAs who've been letting this go.

So, apparently, someone at AC has decided to make it important. Oh well.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Well if you're using a benefit (standby) that you're supposed to pay more for, it does cost them money. Some people might pay for Flex because of the free standby, and if you can get free standby on Tango, why bother paying?
100% mileage, upgrade ability, etc
Old Dec 15, 2015, 2:21 pm

Same day free standby was introduced in the eastern triangle because of competition from porter and westjet.

Same day free standby was introduced in the western triangle because of operational requirements (Heavy and consistent oversells). I have been witness to tons of 600$ VDB announcements between YYC and YVR.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 4:26 pm

The European low cost carrier (!) Easyjet does that for free on return flights. On any route (that has multiple flights a day).

They fill a seat that would have gone empty, they may be able to sell the now empty seat on the later plane, and they eliminatethe risk of having to compensate the rebooked passenger in case of delays or IRROP. He is up and away. I think it is a clever move by Easyjet.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 6:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hearna
100% mileage, upgrade ability, etc
Sure, but right now, it's "100% mileage, upgrade ability, free standby, etc.".

Maybe that's worth $100.

But take out the free standby, and now it's only worth $50.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 9:09 pm

Has anyone had any luck flying standby for free on an earlier flight on just Tango fare? I have no status. I'm booked on AC229 (YYC to YVR) which departs at 9:45pm and I'm wishing to fly out early afternoon if I can. Thanks.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadanewbie
Has anyone had any luck flying standby for free on an earlier flight on just Tango fare? I have no status. I'm booked on AC229 (YYC to YVR) which departs at 9:45pm and I'm wishing to fly out early afternoon if I can. Thanks.
I haven't, but welcome to FT.

(what's a Tango fare?)
Old Feb 2, 2016, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
I haven't, but welcome to FT.

(what's a Tango fare?)
Tango, as opposed to Flex or Latitude.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 9:47 pm

Programs: AC SEMM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by canadanewbie
Yes this is approved and I have done this but it's 50/50 if the agent is informed.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Premiere Elite - YEG
Yes this is approved and I have done this but it's 50/50 if the agent is informed.
This is absolutely NOT approved on a Tango fare, though agents will often let it go anyway, especially if letting you standby onto the 4PM flight means one less passenger they have to IDB off the oversold 5PM flight.

Last three times I tried this in Calgary, the agent was very clear that management had been cracking down on this, except in situations where they had oversold flights to fix.

So, basically, when it's only in your benefit, it's forbidden. When it's in Air Canada's benefit, it's free.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
The fare rules most certainly suggest it is permitted and it's free on eastern and western triangle routes.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 4:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Club Accor Gold
http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...ptions_ca.html
Old Feb 3, 2016, 6:53 am

Programs: AC SEMM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by yvrgary
This is absolutely NOT approved on a Tango fare
This is absolutely approved on a Tango fare. Don't believe the agent hype.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Premiere Elite - YEG
This is absolutely approved on a Tango fare. Don't believe the agent hype.
Good lord. I'm used to agents being wrong, in this case it was three agents and a supervisor. Should've known better.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by yvrgary
Good lord. I'm used to agents being wrong, in this case it was three agents and a supervisor. Should've known better.
When flying through YVR, YYC and YEG (but mainly YVR), I've learned (and told my wife, work colleagues) to go to the airport with that page bookmarked on their smart phone. More than once the agent had to note the website comment as to the reason they were allowing me to make the change - they don't believe me without showing that page. I haven't done this personally in the last 6 months for SDC's, but it looks like nothing has changed.

Not sure about latest website, app updates, etc. but it would be great if these changes could be done via OLCI - the standby functionality wasn't there the last time I tried between YEG and YYC on a Flex fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.