Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Who has the best J class seats to Europe flying out of YVR?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2014, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Mr prmetime and I are planning a trip to Europe in the summer/fall of 2015. Looking at reviews of J class products, I see many negative comments regarding non-stop, or 1 stop, J class out of YVR particularly since some airlines do not provide full flat beds. Any recommendations?? Our goal is to use AP if possible. TIA.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 11:24 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
The only non-stops to the EU using Aeroplan are AC and LH. I believe you'll find a 50/50 split on preference between the two.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
If you are looking at nonstop, AC and LH are your only options - and it will come at a hefty pricetag of $1000+ per person in fees in addition to points.

All cheaper options would require one-stop. You could do flat beds all the way if you go YVR-YYZ-WAW, otherwise, it will all require a connection on a smaller plane in the USA.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Typically I take AC34 to YYZ and then from YYZ continue TATL. That way I get the classic pod both legs.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Mr prmetime is a serious smoker and this is why we must limit our time that he is effected (which in turn effects me ). We understand we may fork out extra for YQ etc . We've never flown a premium product (flown PE three times on our own dime) and are looking forward to same. Are there particular aircraft that provide a better experience? Thanks again.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 12:25 pm

AC's only YVR-Europe flight is to LHR, which is on the 777HD with lie flat seats which are almost universally disliked vs. AC's pod offerings on most flights.

I believe LH to FRA is on old slopey-slidey 2-3-2 J 744s (not true lie flat) J so avoid that too. If you can get YVR-MUC on LH, you should get LH's new version of lie flat seats on their A330s but 2-2-2 so not all have aisle access if that bothers you unless you grab the centre two.

If you are not heading to FRA/MUC/LHR you will require a connection regardless so why not make it in North America... I think connecting in YYZ/YUL (making sure YVR-YYZ/YUL is on a widebody) perhaps even onto a non-YQ airline to Europe is your best bet for comfort.

FYI... YUL-CDG/LHR is also on AC's 777HD so pick other flights if its convenient.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by winnipegrev
If you are not heading to FRA/MUC/LHR you will require a connection regardless so why not make it in North America... I think connecting in YYZ/YUL (making sure YVR-YYZ/YUL is on a widebody) perhaps even onto a non-YQ airline to Europe is your best bet for comfort.
Excellent point - it really depends on where in Europe you are going as well.

There is no reason to fly the inferior product of LH and pay thru the nose in real $ for the privilege.

Summer to Europe is probably one of the worst use of $90k+$1100 in YQ - when paid tickets often go for <$2000. Cut the YQ and you got a deal.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 1:00 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by winnipegrev
AC's only YVR-Europe flight is to LHR, which is on the 777HD with lie flat seats which are almost universally disliked vs. AC's pod offerings on most flights.

I believe LH to FRA is on old slopey-slidey 2-3-2 J 744s (not true lie flat) J so avoid that too. If you can get YVR-MUC on LH, you should get LH's new version of lie flat seats on their A330s but 2-2-2 so not all have aisle access if that bothers you unless you grab the centre two.

FYI... YUL-CDG/LHR is also on AC's 777HD so pick other flights if its convenient.
Agreed this gives you the best options, depending on where in Europe you are going. Travelling intra-Europe is an a single aisle plane with middle seats blocked out in J. Not worth the points, unless you are going to a secondary city (not served non-stop by AC or *A cities).

So, if you're going to a city not served by YYZ/YUL directly, I would choose AC/LH to Europe, then a short flight to the secondary city.

If you are going to a city served directly by YYZ/YUL, chose a wide body to YYZ/YUL, then another wide body to the city in Europe.

That being said, on the return, I would try and get the flight from Europe directly to YVR. Connecting back through YUL/YYZ means clearing immigration/customs, picking up luggage, dropping off luggage and then going through security again. Its a little bit of a pain in the 'derrière'
Old Jun 1, 2014, 1:56 pm

If summer, lh might have YVR-MUC seasonally. They've had fullflats in j the past two years and that should continue next year too.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 4:08 pm

Programs: AC E50K, MM, BA, Delta, PriorityClub Platinum, Marriott Gold.
As everyone's said, if you're doing direct then could only do LH or AC... between the two, I prefer LH Business Class to AC HD Exec. class anyday... they offer better food/drinks as well. But, both are not the best...

If you could connect, then you have more options as people have stated.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 4:09 pm

Programs: AC E50K, MM, BA, Delta, PriorityClub Platinum, Marriott Gold.
Originally Posted by yerffej201
If summer, lh might have YVR-MUC seasonally. They've had fullflats in j the past two years and that should continue next year too.
Which plane is that?
Old Jun 1, 2014, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alexbc
Which plane is that?
I believe its an A330.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to all who have responded. I should clarify that we could have 1 connecting flight - but would like to limit total travel time (including layovers as most airports are non-smoking beyond security) to about 12-14 hours total. I'm thinking UA connecting in ORD or IAD may be our best bet to minimize costs and travel time. tireman77 - We will definitely think twice about flying home through the US. Thanks again.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 3:17 am

Programs: AC A50K
Try YVR to DEN to FRA to wherever. You can smoke in Denver and Frankfurt
Old Jun 2, 2014, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
It would help to know where in Europe you want to go.

As others have noted, limited options for nonstop ex-YVR but to avoid major fuel surcharges try to get UA into ORD, EWR or IAD then SK to CPH and from there fly to your final destination (though stay clear of SK's intra-European business as it is non-existent (i.e. no blocked centre seats, enhanced catering), or LO to WAW and onward. You'll pay a small YQ for LO across the Atlantic, but way less than any other carrier charging this fee, and for any LH/OS intra-European flights. You can also try TK ex-LAX, ORD, YUL or YYZ (or some of its other new US gateways) and its intra-Europe flights have real business class, i.e. separate cabin and 2x2 seats, not the pseudo 3x3 economy seats with the middle left empty. SN via IAD is another option, with a few routes from BRU to other European cities.

Try to stay clear of AC to get you to a US gateway, impossible of course if you want to use one of these non/low-YQ carriers from YYZ or YUL. And unless you're on a CO 777 on UA (cabin seat chart shows 2-2-2), you want to stay clear of UA's sardine can business seats on its UA 777s and other wide bodies (2-4-2) in business!

Last edited by Shareholder; Jun 2, 2014 at 4:16 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.