Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance RTW Award

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2014, 1:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Star Alliance RTW Award

Does anyone here have the experience of booking the big brother to the mini-RTW?

Economy Class - 200,000 Aeroplan Miles
Business Class - 300,000 Aeroplan Miles
First Class - 400,000 Aeroplan Miles

The primary question is... SCAMCHARGES, DO THEY APPLY?

I am guessing that this will actually be able to use Swiss F now that it is blocked for Aeroplan rewards.

The amount of miles blows, but it is 7 cities so with F charges how they are... it starts to come in play if there are no scamcharges and you can get LX F out of it.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
I am 99% sure scamcharges apply and you only have access to the regular award inventory, i.e. no LX F.

Unless you want to visit some very out-of-the-way places or want to visit 4+ continents, booking regular award tickets probably offers better value.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 1:38 pm

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
Agreed you can get to three continents on a mini RTW and within continent, there are usually decent LCC options to get around or if you want to stay in premium cabins, Avios, AP, DM give good redemption opportunities in various regions and still save you a whack compared to these rates (which do however look increasingly decent as other redemption rates go up).
Old Apr 9, 2014, 1:53 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by markandrew
Agreed you can get to three continents on a mini RTW and within continent, there are usually decent LCC options to get around or if you want to stay in premium cabins, Avios, AP, DM give good redemption opportunities in various regions and still save you a whack compared to these rates (which do however look increasingly decent as other redemption rates go up).
That's an interesting point. With all of the devaluations in the award chart over the years, I don't recall them touching the RTW redemption levels (probably because so few people ever used them). I haven't given RTW awards much thought, because they used to be such horrible value, but there may come a day when they're a competitive option as the rest of the zones get enhanced further. But for right now, I don't think they offer much value, since I believe they are subject to the same availability issues and scam charges as any other reward ticket.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by tyberius
Does anyone here have the experience of booking the big brother to the mini-RTW?

Economy Class - 200,000 Aeroplan Miles
Business Class - 300,000 Aeroplan Miles
First Class - 400,000 Aeroplan Miles

The primary question is... SCAMCHARGES, DO THEY APPLY?

I am guessing that this will actually be able to use Swiss F now that it is blocked for Aeroplan rewards.

The amount of miles blows, but it is 7 cities so with F charges how they are... it starts to come in play if there are no scamcharges and you can get LX F out of it.
Yes, scamcharges apply. You'd book out of regular award space.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 12:20 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Star Alliance RTW Award

Just do two mini-rtw's!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.