Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada is betting less legroom for passengers will lift profit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

http://business.financialpost.com/20...stors-love-it/

Air Canada is betting less legroom for passengers translates into higher profit.

Canada’s largest carrier has done the math and figures that adding at least 22 seats on jets of its Rouge unit turns money-losing routes to destinations such as the Caribbean profitable. Air Canada’s main carrier has also begun flying five “high-density” Boeing Co. 777 jets with more than 100 additional seats than standard models.

“Densed-up” aircraft are a key part of a plan by Chief Executive Officer Calin Rovinescu to cut expenses for each seat flown a mile by 15% over five years — even as some customers lament the lack of legroom. Other cost saving measures include the addition of 37 fuel-efficient Boeing 787 Dreamliners starting this year and the full roll out of Rouge, Rovinescu said.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:28 am

This really belongs in the Rouge thread ... Hard to argue with the bottom line.
So far it seems; branding fears, turning off high yielding AC customers, product continuity concerns are unfounded ... Who woulda thought :

While Air Canada doesn’t break out Rouge’s results, Rovinescu said the unit has met its cost-reduction goals “bang- on” since it started.
The six-month indications were stellar,” he said. “Obviously the success is measured if we can manage the operation and keep the infrastructure costs down. We are keeping those low.”
Old Mar 18, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
So far it seems; branding fears, turning off high yielding AC customers, product continuity concerns are unfounded ... Who woulda thought[/I]
I think adjusting the mileage/segment earnings on Rouge flights likely helped.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 6:43 pm

So far it seems; branding fears, turning off high yielding AC customers, product continuity concerns are unfounded ... Who woulda thought :

While Air Canada doesn’t break out Rouge’s results, Rovinescu said the unit has met its cost-reduction goals “bang- on” since it started.
The six-month indications were stellar,” he said. “Obviously the success is measured if we can manage the operation and keep the infrastructure costs down. We are keeping those low.”
I think its a little early to say Rogue is a success given the current size of their fleet. Let's see how they do when they have 20 high capacity sardine class 767s to fill in off-seasons flying to second tier markets.

I think AC management's strategy to rapidly take AC downmarket is probably correct - Canada is largely a low yield market for aviation unfortunately. However I think it is a huge mistake to do it through adding massive mounts of capacity as they are doing. Unless they can bankrupt Transat I don't see how it can possibly be sustainable.

At that point, the fight will become for Rogue to replace mainline capacity rather than supplement it.....which maybe was the plan all along.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 7:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
I'm 6'4" tall. Nobody seems to care about me - I have to be a little bit careful when flying economy these days - 31" pitch is right on the edge for me. 30" isn't possible. 32" works OK. Sigh. At least some carriers offer Y+ type seating; am happy to pay a little (not a lot) more.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 7:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Way to go for AC shareholders. Why have they not they brought out the standing room only flights? It just makes so much more sense to squeeze 3 times more sardins, err, cargo, err, passengers, into the same space.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by tcook052
turns money-losing routes to destinations such as the Caribbean profitable.
Why are these money losing?
Are these also money losing for Westjet, Sunwing and Transat? I would find that hard to believe.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Are these also money losing for Westjet, Sunwing and Transat? I would find that hard to believe.
A 737-700 and an A319 are essentially equal airplanes.
Now look at the number of seats for sale in the two.
HINT. Don't count the J class seats in the A319 because no one pays money for those anyway.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:35 pm

Yawn. What else is he going to say? "Hey, our plan is stupid and it is not working"??
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by upgradesecret
Don't count the J class seats in the A319 because no one pays money for those anyway.
How's that again?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
I fly YYZ/BGI r/t annually, sometimes twice a year. Have noted 2 A319s a day in February ,used to be a 763.Going Rogue soon
Not particularly happy with this change.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by upgradesecret
A 737-700 and an A319 are essentially equal airplanes.
Now look at the number of seats for sale in the two.
HINT. Don't count the J class seats in the A319 because no one pays money for those anyway.
I bought Z fares on the A319 to BGI,J seats
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sp4294
How's that again?
+1

I have a couple 320 flights coming up in paid J
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:50 pm

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
We are seat lice.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by canadiancow
+1
I have a couple 320 flights coming up in paid J
To the Caribbean???

AC must be salivating at the prospect that they will be able to rogue more and more of the network as time goes on. Just wait, in 5 years, all NA operations will go rogue, because you know, customers asked for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.