Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Random Searches....interesting story

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Random Searches....interesting story

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2002, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
boacvc10, thanks for the bg on your username. I figured you might be one of us "oldies" who started our regular business travels back in the days of the legendary British aircraft: the Vickers Viscounts and Vanguards, and the VC10. Plus the DC8s and 707s. Don't think any of us go back to the Comet, though, except as young kids like yourself back then, so would have flown it, the Super Connies or North Stars on family vacations. Have seen the military version of the VC10 at YYC often through the years, as it is used to fly British forces personnel to various training bases around southern Alberta. It is an elegant looking bird -- and was quite appropriate to BOAC's "Speedbird" trade mark. Now I see the Russian Illyushin version more frequently at airports around the world, and even at YUL from time to time as it flies en route to Cuba. Or at JFK where it had been Aeroflots main overseas aircraft until they started replacing them with their A340s [or are these a Russian engineered TU or IL craft?].

As for Ken's comment about his travels to those members of the "evil empires", I wonder if this is even on your "profile". I recall that we had a discussion a year ago last spring -- during the height of the MHD, hour turnarounds in Mexico and returning via various US ports of entry within 24-hours of entry into the US from Canadian gateways -- about what actually is tracked when our passports are scanned. The concensus was very little, and that any tracking was rudimentary at best. While it would seem logical that countries shared this information, and that everytime our passports were scanned entering a country, this data was consolidated somewhere, proved to not be so. If anything, I suspect our FF accounts provide more useful information for tracking such travels than do the INS/Immigration Canada databanks.

[This message has been edited by Shareholder (edited 06-20-2002).]
Old Jun 20, 2002, 8:20 am

Shareholder,

Haven't been called a 'young kid' in a while. Thanks, you made my day

As a newbie, I hope I'm not breaching protocol by going off topic here, but wonderful (non-flying) examples of the VC 10 still exist at Cosford and Duxford in the UK. Well worth the visit if this is your thing.

I was lucky enough when I was young to fly VC 10's 707's and Trident's.

As far as whether your passport contains a detailed profile, I don't think so but will find out.
Old Jun 20, 2002, 10:59 am
ALW

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I hope I'm not breaching protocol by going off topic here</font>
Actually, that's part _of_ our protocol here*. As long as it's interesting.

[*"here" being defined as the AC forum, don't try this trick anywhere else -- except the BA forum -- shurely no coincidence!? ]

andrew
Old Jun 20, 2002, 2:25 pm

Excellent. I think I'll like it here (and BA)!
Old Jun 20, 2002, 2:47 pm
exAC

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shareholder:
The concensus was very little, and that any tracking was rudimentary at best. ....I suspect our FF accounts provide more useful information for tracking such travels than do the INS/Immigration Canada databanks.
</font>
I believe that this WAS the case, but that this has changed since 9/11. One must now provide your passport number at checkin when travelling to the USA and that this is then collected and handed off to the "authorities" along with the other information from your FF account.

Old Jun 21, 2002, 7:59 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shareholder:
STUPID, DUMB, ASSININE... Only in America, where common sense is now considered subversive.
</font>

And you don't know the half of it! Small government, my big toe!

edited to improve my eye rolling

[This message has been edited by Secret Agent (edited 06-21-2002).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.