Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Help me decide between Westjet and Air Canada status for 2014 (short hauls)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help me decide between Westjet and Air Canada status for 2014 (short hauls)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:09 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
westjet, but do you mean Worst Jet? Sorry I am not one bit interested in ever stepping on one of their flights. I am an AC Loyalist despite some of the recent pain.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 7:12 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
AC/UA/TK/A3 for the Star Gold.

I think the value proposition changes though if we were talking about YEG-YYZ since Westjet offers 100% mileage credit to AAdvantage, something all AC fares don't offer.

For short haul AC is perfectly fine for segments.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 7:21 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
[QUOTE=100,000miler;22424728]westjet, but do you mean Worst Jet?

At least on YYC-YEG the OP would have a Jet on WS, not so on AC
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:30 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
The WJ perks are pretty nice - A buy one get one free to any of their Caribbean destinations during spring break is a great perk, and we often use the buy one get one Canada for a direct flight from YYC to YHZ near christmas- so often the value of these perks can approach $2500 per year.
I agree. I find myself very interested in WS's BOGO Canada and their BOGO anywhere-they-fly perks based on spend. Those two offers/coupons are good for 2 years, BTW. AC is making it so hard to stay loyal to them. They keep slapping us in the face, as far as I am concerned.

It's a tough decision overall because the positives is that you could get *A Gold status which come with worldwide perks. Too bad you don't value the lounges. I go early to the airport just to enjoy some quality lounge time (QLT, as my wife has become used to me calling it...while shaking her head).

I actually like flying on the Q400s and WS has those now in their fleet. Much nicer compared to the old, tired Dash-8s. I think for some of those short hauls on WS you might even get a jet - bonus!

Good luck with the decision. Maybe tell us all what you decided in the end.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:31 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)
[QUOTE=Jagboi;22425190]
Originally Posted by 100,000miler
westjet, but do you mean Worst Jet?

At least on YYC-YEG the OP would have a Jet on WS, not so on AC
Haha! Nice! ^
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
AC/UA/TK/A3 for the Star Gold.

I think the value proposition changes though if we were talking about YEG-YYZ since Westjet offers 100% mileage credit to AAdvantage, something all AC fares don't offer.

For short haul AC is perfectly fine for segments.
OP is talking about buying flight passes though, so they would credit 100%. And with the E50K/E75K, there'd be a bonus on top of that.

But I agree. If this were my own money, I'd definitely go with AC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.