Community
Wiki Posts
Search

reflection: SWU/SSWU vs e-upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2014, 6:13 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by Catch
Nostalgia - My left over certificates from 1998-2010

[ image ]
o...m...g... do you have an equally impressive duty-free coupon collection?

You can start a museum or something
Old Feb 24, 2014, 10:22 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Well, I'll take the bashing here.

I prefer the old certificates.

Instead of logging in and dealing with a cumbersome IT e-upgrade portal, you actually had paper certificates that were easy to use and could never be de-valued mid year.

Sure there was a wait to get them in the mail, but at least you could plan travel accordingly.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
The 1999 SE SWU were even better: One-Way Upgrade from Any-Fare At Time of booking. We used to get 2 every 10,000 Miles flown plus 10 or 20 at the beginning of the year. This was the only certificate:

Those indeed were the days. Then each year after that AC ratcheted up the bottom end of eligible upgrade fares to the point that SWUs became pretty much useless unless one was on a full-fare economy ticket. The introduction of e-Upgrade credits was long overdue, but put AC in a worse position because they were more fare flexible for most elites. That's what led to the co-pay and raising of Flex base fares.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Well, I'll take the bashing here.

I prefer the old certificates.

Instead of logging in and dealing with a cumbersome IT e-upgrade portal, you actually had paper certificates that were easy to use and could never be de-valued mid year.

Sure there was a wait to get them in the mail, but at least you could plan travel accordingly.
Only if your company paid for a Latitude level ticket. Otherwise one received many fewer SSWUs that could be used from the equivalent of current Flex (and even some Tango) fares. And do you think that having to call an agent to request that upgrade at exactly the right hour, days in advance, to ensure you got the couple of available R/I seats was easier, particularly if you were on the other side of the globe?
Old Feb 25, 2014, 6:05 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
If you are SE and primarily traveling domestically, there is no question the eUps are a huge win and improvement, particularly when paired with a flight pass. I forget how many SSW certs we would get (12-16 a year with threshold bonuses???) but it is nothing compared to being able to upgrade 70+ segments a years with eUps.
Old May 18, 2016, 8:08 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Nostalgia - My left over certificates from 1998-2010

I was doing some clean-up on an older system I am getting ready to re-purpose and I came across this old pic.

Last edited by jaysona; May 18, 2016 at 8:23 pm
Old May 19, 2016, 4:06 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
I miss these SWU and SSWU's. The number of times they forgot to collect it but still gave you the upgrade was great!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.