Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help booking J award AKL - YYZ

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2014, 6:50 pm

Last year on my miniRTW I booked AKL->HNL->ORD->YYZ all in J. AKL-> NZ J and rest UA J. Agent would not allow me AKL-NRT-YYZ
Old Feb 20, 2014, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTPP
Originally Posted by cysnows
Last year on my miniRTW I booked AKL->HNL->ORD->YYZ all in J. AKL-> NZ J and rest UA J. Agent would not allow me AKL-NRT-YYZ
How many months in advance did you book this. I'm basically ready to throw in the towel. I could not get from YYZ-AKL at all. I only got as far as SYD and they told me I had to buy a revenue ticket to AKL from SYD. Nothing available from SYD to YYZ in Jan 2015 unless I have a 12 hour layover in PVG.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lowside67
You will need to give them specific instructions which is that you are doing an open jaw but that SYD is your point of turn. They are using AKL as your point of turn which does not have the large mileage allowance over the Atlantic to return that SYD does.

Hang up, call back, and tell them to explicitly enter SYD as your point of turn, with an open jaw to AKL, it will work.

Mark
If I do an open jaw SYD-AKL does that mean that I am purchasing a revenue ticket?
Old Feb 20, 2014, 6:01 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by cysnows
AKL-NRT-YYZ is a valid published routing. Would suggest in the future to do the HUCA if looking to book the exact same route.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 7:31 am

If you're only going YYZ-PVG-SYD // AKL-NRT-YYZ it can be done online. Did a similar open Jaw from YVR on the website, booked 11 months in advance.

No seats to AKL-Honolulu any more anyways.

The difference being this is for low season in October, whereas you're looking at high season in Jan
Old Feb 20, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: AC: E50K, AP: dDiamond
Originally Posted by Safti
If I do an open jaw SYD-AKL does that mean that I am purchasing a revenue ticket?
Yes you will have to purchase a 1-way to AKL.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 4:21 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I will be returning from Aukland to YYZ on Jan 20 or 21, 2015. Can only find a 40hr. J class return with 3 stops through Asia and Europe through the AP site. When/how do I start looking at UA with more direct routing? Every time I try for a dummy booking on UA, I am told that it's not a valid itinerary. I already have my J award seat from YYZ-SYD on Dec. 31 and plan to book SYD-AKL when I do my return booking to avoid more than one change fee.
Holy crap, YYZ-SYD on DEC 31? Your phone will explode..."wait, we left on Wed Dec 31 2014 at like 9pm, then we stopped in Vancouver at 11pm, now it's Jan 2 at 2am? and it's 201------"BOOM.

Have fun with that!
Old Feb 20, 2014, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drvannostren
Holy crap, YYZ-SYD on DEC 31? Your phone will explode..."wait, we left on Wed Dec 31 2014 at like 9pm, then we stopped in Vancouver at 11pm, now it's Jan 2 at 2am? and it's 201------"BOOM.

Have fun with that!
It gets better than that. We leave YYZ at noon and fly direct over the north pole (midnight 2014/15?) and then arrive in PVG. Slight layover and on to SYD. Love that. Where will you be on NYE? Willing to do revenue SYD-AKL but AP won't let me book an award seat back to YYZ from AKL. They keep telling me that it's not a valid routing and over mileage. They say I must return from AKL to SYD and back to YYZ from there.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 10:21 am

I have just booked in two one ways. YUL-SFO-SYD-AKL and then return: SYD-SIN-IST-YUL. The return is over milage however I wasable to book over the phone. Keep calling and eventually(hopefully) someone will book it
Old Feb 21, 2014, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
I have just booked in two one ways. YUL-SFO-SYD-AKL and then return: SYD-SIN-IST-YUL. The return is over milage however I wasable to book over the phone. Keep calling and eventually(hopefully) someone will book it
What dates did you book?
Old Feb 21, 2014, 12:01 pm

Willing to do revenue SYD-AKL but AP won't let me book an award seat back to YYZ from AKL. They keep telling me that it's not a valid routing and over mileage. They say I must return from AKL to SYD and back to YYZ from there.
Just so we are clear, you are not trying to book a one way home from AKL right?

This needs to be a round trip ticket - YYZ-SYD, AKL-YYZ and tell the agent your POINT OF TURN IS SYD. There is no reason this should not work.

Mark
Old Feb 21, 2014, 1:03 pm

What dates did you book?
5th Dec - 5th Jan. However this was in Y. My point is: just becuase it is over the milage does not mean it is impossible to book. If you have a lot of time and energy just keep calling....good luck
Old Feb 21, 2014, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
5th Dec - 5th Jan. However this was in Y. My point is: just becuase it is over the milage does not mean it is impossible to book. If you have a lot of time and energy just keep calling....good luck
...and it is Y. That makes all the difference as you say.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by sp4294
...and it is Y. That makes all the difference as you say.
No... Y makes all the difference for availability on SQ but makes no difference whatsoever for routing legality which is what this thread and that response is about.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lowside67
Just so we are clear, you are not trying to book a one way home from AKL right?

This needs to be a round trip ticket - YYZ-SYD, AKL-YYZ and tell the agent your POINT OF TURN IS SYD. There is no reason this should not work.

Mark
Well... I couldn't find any flights to YYZ-AKL though that is where I would like to end up. Two and a half weeks in NZ end of Dec. to mid Jan. is the ultimate flight I am looking for.The agent told me to book YYZ-SYD as a one way because J was available so I should grab it.I could worry about getting the SYD-AKL when it loaded (which hadn't loaded at the time of booking). I should then call back when seats are loaded for Jan. 2015 and look for return from AKL-YYZ and at that time, add the SYD-AKL so that I would only be paying the $90 change fee once. Here are my dates that I am currently booked. I leave YYZ on Dec. 31,2014 and arrive SYD on Jan. 2, 2015. If I could get a flight SYD-AKL on Jan. 2 as a connection, I would take it. Otherwise, I am happy to stay in SYD for a couple of days, grab a flight to AKL on Jan. 4 (or so). Spend 2 weeks in NZ and then fly from AKL around Jan 20 (or so) back to YYZ. I don't really care if I return via SYD or anywhere else, as long as I get a J seat. I am not getting any help from agents doing this itinerary. If someone can help me figure out what to say or some way to get to AKL at the end of Dec. and then stay there for 2 weeks and get home (YYZ) then I would appreciate all the help I can get.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.