Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Finally! Another Star Alliance from YVR - Japan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2014, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)

Just saw in the local newspaper that ANA is starting a YVR-HND service as of March 30. Finally! A great alternative to AC and landing in HND to boot!

Checking the ANA website, I'm not sure which J seat is being offered but have a feeling it's their Business Cradle. And, given a choice of AC or NH, I'll take NH any day!
Old Feb 13, 2014, 9:01 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Was announced late last year.

http://www.yvr.ca/en/flight-informat...473116419.aspx
Old Feb 13, 2014, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Braindrain
Just saw in the local newspaper that ANA is starting a YVR-HND service as of March 30. Finally! A great alternative to AC and landing in HND to boot!

Checking the ANA website, I'm not sure which J seat is being offered but have a feeling it's their Business Cradle. And, given a choice of AC or NH, I'll take NH any day!
You'd rather take ANA's outdated (slanted) 767 product over a pod? Interesting what is important to some people.

For me, J is all about the hard product.

If ending in Tokyo I can see the advantage to HND over NRT.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 9:53 pm

Well, there's also UA, CA, OZ, etc., but they require connections.

But the only *A carrier from Japan is ANA, so now there are 2 direct *A options. And there probably won't be any more *A direct options, seeing as neither Canada nor Japan has any more *A carriers.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 9:56 pm
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold
Flew a couple of transpac long-hauls last year on NH in Y and loved the soft product. Service was superb with flight attendants bowing before sitting down each time, and while I normally dislike airplane food, I really enjoyed the Japanese menu. Loved the little details too like the ice cold bottled water and Japanese ice tea they serve... so much more refreshing than the room temperature dasani they serve on AC. And of course, HND is awesome for entry to Tokyo. You could definitely tell the difference and what makes NH a skytrax 5-star airline.

NH lounges are alright too... got to experience the HND NH International First lounge on a business trip to Tokyo last April and liked the personalised service of attendants bringing you drink and food orders (albeit that sort of service is pretty standard for first class lounges).

Last edited by jbb; Feb 13, 2014 at 10:08 pm
Old Feb 13, 2014, 10:59 pm

Programs: AC E50K
NH and BR as alternative to AC for TPAC. Too bad both J are not lay flat yet.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 12:28 am

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by hydrogen
Well, there's also UA, CA, OZ, etc., but they require connections.
SQ also flies an A380 LAX-NRT (but again, you'd have to connect in LAX).
Old Feb 14, 2014, 5:21 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles

I would fly from YYZ to YVR just to catch that...oh wait...I guess if I'm going to connect, ill fly south and catch an ANA pod.maybe out of Washington
Old Feb 14, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K, SPG Gold
I love ANA and I like the late departure from both YVR (455pm) and HND (955pm). I am not sold on the 767 with the recliner seats in J though. I think the announcement of this flight was the motive for Japan Airlines to change equipment to YVR from 767 to 787. I have a feeling ANA will do the same as soon as they get more 787.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by sluis
I love ANA and I like the late departure from both YVR (455pm) and HND (955pm). I am not sold on the 767 with the recliner seats in J though. I think the announcement of this flight was the motive for Japan Airlines to change equipment to YVR from 767 to 787. I have a feeling ANA will do the same as soon as they get more 787.
I don't think JAL was responding to ANA. JAL replaced their fully flat 763 with an inferior 788 product in response to new competition. Pretty odd.

They may just need 788 efficiencies for the route to remain profitable with 3 airlines.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by winnipegrev
You'd rather take ANA's outdated (slanted) 767 product over a pod? Interesting what is important to some people.

For me, J is all about the hard product.

If ending in Tokyo I can see the advantage to HND over NRT.
Sure, hard product is important. But I really, really hate AC pods. Earphones that buzz, seats that sometimes don't work, the seats are too narrow, etc etc. The NH soft product is far superior and landing in HND over NRT saves me a bunch of time.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 9:11 pm
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold
Originally Posted by Braindrain
Sure, hard product is important. But I really, really hate AC pods. Earphones that buzz, seats that sometimes don't work, the seats are too narrow, etc etc. The NH soft product is far superior and landing in HND over NRT saves me a bunch of time.
Agreed, between the FAR superior soft product and the saving of an hour in ground transfer between HND over NRT, I would definitely opt for NH over AC assuming the price is equal. The other benefit about flying into HND is that it's actually affordable to take a cab into town whereas from NRT I'm obligated to do the bus or train.

Flying time is only about 9.5 hours, so lie-flat is somewhat less important than if you're flying to HKG.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:05 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Lie flat is everything for me in J. Sleep is key. Service is a nice bonus and I will seek out better carriers if all else is equal. I also doubt NH will be cheaper than AC so I really don't see the point. NRT doesn't make a big difference to me. I'm always picked up so I can work and reconnect after the long flight on the (long) drive into/through the city.

JAL put 787s on YVR due to engine issues. They can't fly through certain types of clouds so to avoid issues they shuffled them around to routes where such formations are less likely to exist.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 1:13 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Originally Posted by jlisi984
JAL put 787s on YVR due to engine issues. They can't fly through certain types of clouds so to avoid issues they shuffled them around to routes where such formations are less likely to exist.
What? Which 787 engines can't flight through what clouds? Can you point us to more info? I'm curious...
Old Feb 16, 2014, 2:00 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AC E50, National Exec
Originally Posted by Mauricio23
What? Which 787 engines can't flight through what clouds? Can you point us to more info? I'm curious...
GEnx Engines - There is a software update in the works which is supposed to alleviate the issue.

Boeing warns of engine-icing problems on 747-8, 787

Because of the advisory, Japan Airlines, the world’s second-largest Dreamliner operator, said it decided to replace its Dreamliners on flights between Tokyo and Delhi with 777s starting Sunday and will switch to 767s on its Tokyo-Singapore route. The airline also dropped plans to use 787s on its Tokyo-Sydney route.

Explaining the decisions, Yuichi Kitada, a general manager in JAL’s engineering department, said: “There may be cases where we wouldn’t be able to go all the way round the cloud formation and we’d have to turn back.”
Full Article: http://seattletimes.com/html/busines...boeingxml.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.