Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Y Segment on J Award Ticket - Switch to business if a seat becomes available + Fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Y Segment on J Award Ticket - Switch to business if a seat becomes available + Fees

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K

I have a J award ticket, with a segment (YUL-YYZ) booked into Y as that was the only availability at my preferred time. A J award seat on that segment has opened up and I'm wondering if I call Aeroplan to change into it will I have to pay any fees?

On that short of a segment the difference between business and economy is so minor that I prefer keeping the $90, but if it's free why not
Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Eternity000
I have a J award ticket, with a segment (YUL-YYZ) booked into Y as that was the only availability at my preferred time. A J award seat on that segment has opened up and I'm wondering if I call Aeroplan to change into it will I have to pay any fees?

On that short of a segment the difference between business and economy is so minor that I prefer keeping the $90, but if it's free why not
No $90 change fee.

But, the taxes are supposedly recalculated for the whole itinerary. Because of falling CAD, there likely will be an additional amount due.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If it's the same flight, and you have a J ticket, it's free to switch. If there's a tax difference, you might have to pay that, but definitely no $90 change fee.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K
Originally Posted by echino
No $90 change fee.

But, the taxes are supposedly recalculated for the whole itinerary. Because of falling CAD, there likely will be an additional amount due.
Thanks!!!

As for the taxes, wouldn't they be priced in CAD for YUL-YYZ?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Eternity000
Thanks!!!

As for the taxes, wouldn't they be priced in CAD for YUL-YYZ?
Canadian taxes are - but if you are paying YQ on your flights, it may not. Chances are a) YQ has gone up, b) foreign taxes have gone up in relation to CAD
Old Feb 4, 2014, 2:13 pm

Programs: AC*E
i have a mini RTW booking in J (award ticket)

the last leg from EWR - YYZ didn't have any J seat at the time of booking so I took it Y for the 90 mins flight

i saw J opened up recently when i was browsing, called, made the change. paid no $90 change fee or taxes.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by C_snapper
i have a mini RTW booking in J (award ticket)

the last leg from EWR - YYZ didn't have any J seat at the time of booking so I took it Y for the 90 mins flight

i saw J opened up recently when i was browsing, called, made the change. paid no $90 change fee or taxes.
wait, so Aeroplan charges you to change a flight from Y to J if you already paid J miles for the trip for the exact same flight?? That is BRUTAL.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
wait, so Aeroplan charges you to change a flight from Y to J if you already paid J miles for the trip for the exact same flight?? That is BRUTAL.
I think you misread. Underlining mine.

Originally Posted by C_snapper

Old Feb 4, 2014, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
You misread, as YEG USER pointed out, but United makes you pay. So this is one thing Aeroplan gets a slight nod on.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 3:59 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I recently changed 2 seats from Y to J on a J reward once I became SE and had IKK. No change fee, no new taxes.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mabramovich
You misread, as YEG USER pointed out, but United makes you pay. So this is one thing Aeroplan gets a slight nod on.
United doesnt make you pay, US does though, and yes, I did misread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.