Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Y Segment on J Award Ticket - Switch to business if a seat becomes available + Fees

Y Segment on J Award Ticket - Switch to business if a seat becomes available + Fees

Old Feb 4, 14, 11:00 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: All over the great white north
Programs: AC E50K
Posts: 630
Y Segment on J Award Ticket - Switch to business if a seat becomes available + Fees

I have a J award ticket, with a segment (YUL-YYZ) booked into Y as that was the only availability at my preferred time. A J award seat on that segment has opened up and I'm wondering if I call Aeroplan to change into it will I have to pay any fees?

On that short of a segment the difference between business and economy is so minor that I prefer keeping the $90, but if it's free why not
Eternity000 is offline  
Old Feb 4, 14, 11:25 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: YVR
Posts: 1,412
Originally Posted by Eternity000 View Post
I have a J award ticket, with a segment (YUL-YYZ) booked into Y as that was the only availability at my preferred time. A J award seat on that segment has opened up and I'm wondering if I call Aeroplan to change into it will I have to pay any fees?

On that short of a segment the difference between business and economy is so minor that I prefer keeping the $90, but if it's free why not
No $90 change fee.

But, the taxes are supposedly recalculated for the whole itinerary. Because of falling CAD, there likely will be an additional amount due.
echino is offline  
Old Feb 4, 14, 11:25 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 30,344
If it's the same flight, and you have a J ticket, it's free to switch. If there's a tax difference, you might have to pay that, but definitely no $90 change fee.
canadiancow is online now  
Old Feb 4, 14, 11:27 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: All over the great white north
Programs: AC E50K
Posts: 630
Originally Posted by echino View Post
No $90 change fee.

But, the taxes are supposedly recalculated for the whole itinerary. Because of falling CAD, there likely will be an additional amount due.
Thanks!!!

As for the taxes, wouldn't they be priced in CAD for YUL-YYZ?
Eternity000 is offline  
Old Feb 4, 14, 11:36 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 20,768
Originally Posted by Eternity000 View Post
Thanks!!!

As for the taxes, wouldn't they be priced in CAD for YUL-YYZ?
Canadian taxes are - but if you are paying YQ on your flights, it may not. Chances are a) YQ has gone up, b) foreign taxes have gone up in relation to CAD
rankourabu is offline  
Old Feb 4, 14, 3:13 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Programs: AC*E
Posts: 37
i have a mini RTW booking in J (award ticket)

the last leg from EWR - YYZ didn't have any J seat at the time of booking so I took it Y for the 90 mins flight

i saw J opened up recently when i was browsing, called, made the change. paid no $90 change fee or taxes.
C_snapper is offline  
Old Feb 4, 14, 3:31 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 20,768
Originally Posted by C_snapper View Post
i have a mini RTW booking in J (award ticket)

the last leg from EWR - YYZ didn't have any J seat at the time of booking so I took it Y for the 90 mins flight

i saw J opened up recently when i was browsing, called, made the change. paid no $90 change fee or taxes.
wait, so Aeroplan charges you to change a flight from Y to J if you already paid J miles for the trip for the exact same flight?? That is BRUTAL.
rankourabu is offline  
Old Feb 4, 14, 3:48 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: YEG
Programs: AC SE, Hertz 5*, Avis P+, Acc Plat, HY Exp, HH Gold, BonV Titanium
Posts: 3,563
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
wait, so Aeroplan charges you to change a flight from Y to J if you already paid J miles for the trip for the exact same flight?? That is BRUTAL.
I think you misread. Underlining mine.

Originally Posted by C_snapper View Post
...

i saw J opened up recently when i was browsing, called, made the change. paid no $90 change fee or taxes.
YEG USER is offline  
Old Feb 4, 14, 4:52 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,108
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
wait, so Aeroplan charges you to change a flight from Y to J if you already paid J miles for the trip for the exact same flight?? That is BRUTAL.
You misread, as YEG USER pointed out, but United makes you pay. So this is one thing Aeroplan gets a slight nod on.
mabramovich is offline  
Old Feb 4, 14, 4:59 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 1,275
I recently changed 2 seats from Y to J on a J reward once I became SE and had IKK. No change fee, no new taxes.
172pilot is online now  
Old Feb 4, 14, 5:55 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 20,768
Originally Posted by mabramovich View Post
You misread, as YEG USER pointed out, but United makes you pay. So this is one thing Aeroplan gets a slight nod on.
United doesnt make you pay, US does though, and yes, I did misread.
rankourabu is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread