Wiki Posts
Search

AC J vs UA F

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2014, 5:22 am
Original Poster

AC J vs UA F

Hello everyone,

I have a question that I'm hoping someone that has flown both companies could shed some light on.

I've NEVER flown AC before, and am currently booked Paris-Montreal on the ultra dense 77W in J. I have the option of changing to UA F from London to NYC. Is it work it to pay the change fee for UA F ?

I've flown UA F before, and the seat if good not great, but as I have read that AC 77W is also lie flat, and from the photos I've seen I would imagine the seats are comparable. I'm currently in a single seat (2K) on the AC flight, so I think privacy should be OK.

I guess my biggest question is if the serves on the two carriers are similar?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 6:09 am

I'd take UA F any time over AC's 77HD J.
From my experience, the service on UA and AC are comparable.
With UA F, you get a better seat, better food, better amenity kit, more privacy, and first class lounge access.
UA F is a sub-standard first class product, but it is still better than business class, especially AC's 77HD J imho.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Would you be originating in London?

If so, I would not make the change due to the $400 tax you will be hit for doing so.

The seat is certainly better on United F compared to AC's Sardine Can 777.

Service wise - both are mediocre products, and we can argue forever about which is better, but bottom line, dont have high expectations of either.

What is your final destination? I'd just take whatever is most convenient.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 6:22 am
Original Poster

A bit more about my trip, I'm flying Thai F BKK- Par, and then PAR-Montreal in AC J. My final destination is actually middle America.

In anycase, it's an award ticket for June, so LH has no F availability, and I don't want their J product. For whatever reason, it's in my head that if I must fly J, I want it to be a two cabin flight, so I won't be envious of the people in the F cabin. LOL Childish I know.

Anyway, the only availability that I found other than LH and AC J was UA F from London, but that means a change fee and more taxes, so I'm not sure it's worth it.

And a total side note, does anyone else agree with me on this ? I think UA's F product doesn't look that nice to the eye, and they use this UGLY BLUE curtain to seperate F from C, and the way it's put up on the wall just looks so trashy. From the photos, AC J looks much nicer and chic !
Old Jan 18, 2014, 6:26 am
Original Poster

PS. Does AC J use plastic cups for the pre departure beverage ? This is another very small point that bothers me about UA C and F products.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Here is a link to the curtain issue I was speaking of. I found this photo in another trip report I was reading just now.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 6:39 am

AC J vs UA F

Given that UA's main hub in NYC is EWR, how do you get UA F?

Most flights out of there are on pmCO birds which have a 2 class product, BF (J) and E+/E (Y).
Old Jan 18, 2014, 6:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Cody1484
PS. Does AC J use plastic cups for the pre departure beverage ? This is another very small point that bothers me about UA C and F products.
On International flights - glassware
On Domestic flights - plastic
Old Jan 18, 2014, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Cody1484
A bit more about my trip, I'm flying Thai F BKK- Par, and then PAR-Montreal in AC J. My final destination is actually middle America.

In anycase, it's an award ticket for June, so LH has no F availability, and I don't want their J product. For whatever reason, it's in my head that if I must fly J, I want it to be a two cabin flight, so I won't be envious of the people in the F cabin. LOL Childish I know.

Anyway, the only availability that I found other than LH and AC J was UA F from London, but that means a change fee and more taxes, so I'm not sure it's worth it.

And a total side note, does anyone else agree with me on this ? I think UA's F product doesn't look that nice to the eye, and they use this UGLY BLUE curtain to seperate F from C, and the way it's put up on the wall just looks so trashy. From the photos, AC J looks much nicer and chic !
Well, since its an award ticket - and you are already paying F mileage - I'd probably switch - there wont be any additional taxes if you are just connecting in LHR. (maybe like $20)
Old Jan 18, 2014, 6:56 am

Take whichever one is most convenient for your onward connection. Switching over to UA F probably wouldn't cost very much (or may even be cheaper) once you get the refund from the AC YQ even with the change fee.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 7:05 am

you say the seat is 'ok' on UA but you are worried about curtains and pre departure drink-ware?

Anyhow the seat on UA in F is great IMO, sure it's not EK F, or the new LH F (it's much better than the old LH F), but there is lots of room, pretty good IFE,
nice and private in the bed mode etc etc

Food, beverage will be crap on both so don't worry about that and generally service is better on AC.

UA F gives you a nicer lounge in LHR as well. (*lounge, go right when you enter)

For me it wb UA (unless there was an issue with the connector etc in NY). Are you sure it's a UA F pod? usually they fly to ORD and IAD on the east coast
Old Jan 18, 2014, 7:17 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Stay clear of AC if you can. I flew them from LHR-YUL and it was the most uncomfortable J flight I ever had.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Deltahater, Can you explain a little more as to why ?
Old Jan 18, 2014, 7:33 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Get the UA F the seat, it is much nicer than AC. AC business class is tired and has very narrow seats. If your complaint is the blue curtain on UA wait till you try the AC IFE, if it works.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 7:34 am

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold, UA MP
OP, looks like you're already on a F reward ticket. A couple of questions and Here's what I suggest:

Questions:
1) For UA F, how do you get to LHR? Would you change to BKK-LHR in TG F?
2) What is your actual flight itinerary (departure city, arrival city) if you don't mind disclosing?

Since you're traveling solo, my 2 cents:
1) New AC 777HD J cabin seats are OK but the J pods in the current 77W are better for a solo traveler.
2) If you connect at YUL to Middle America directly, that should be ok. If you have to go from YUL to USA to middle America, it would be quite a pain to clear US customs. If that's the case I would pick a US connection, or to YYZ if there's a direct connection to your final destination.
2) LHR-EWR is the flight you want to take on UA; UA doesn't fly to JFK/LGA from LHR. It's a 2-cabin 757 flight, with BF (BusinessFirst) lie-flat 2+2 config. I find the experience on this flight more than fine. From EWR you should have lots of options to get to your middle America destination.
3) What you can also do is secure your desired itinerary now, and at T-14 and sooner, look for LH F reward seats. If you're looking for LH F, FRA & MUC would be your EU connecting hubs.
4) For LH F, I would modify your TG F from BKK-CDG to BKK-FRA on the A380; great experience on that flight. From FRA, you can connect at either Canada or USA via LH F to the following hubs on the east coast to get to your final destination. YUL/YYZ/JFK/ORD/DTW/IAD/MIA. Certain LH F flights have more F seats available closer to your departure date. Other FT forums would have good insights on F award availability (see UA thread).

PM me or let us know what you like.
GT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.