Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Looking for Mileage run ~1,200 for end of year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2013, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Hey guys,

I'm 1,179 AQMs shy of 50k. Seems prudent to make a mileage run on this one.

I plan to fly out of YVR, and I'm looking at YYC on a Business Class Lowest fare (cheaper than Latitude at last check). It's ~500 each way, plus the 50% bonus for a total of 1,500. If I go with the Latitude fare, its 500+25% = 625 AQMs each way which just gets me over the line, but again - more expensive .

Obviously Flex is so much cheaper than latitude & BCL, so I think it would be better CPM for me to find a 600 AQM flight (each way) out of YVR and fly Flex than to fly Latitude to YYC. I won't use my upgrades before they expire in Feb, so could make it a comfortable flight even on Flex.

Any thoughts on a 600 AQM trip out of YVR? I have Nexus, so cross-border is an option. Could even fly on a partner out of Bellingham, WA, but don't see any United/US Airways flights out of there. SEA too far just to save a few bucks.

Wisdom & guidance appreciated!!!

R.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 1:43 pm

what's your budget?

also...kinda late to be doing this because prices are going to be steep
Old Dec 18, 2013, 1:46 pm

You could trying YVR-YEG via YYC or YVR-YYC via YEG in Flex to get 1500.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 1:52 pm

Programs: AP SE
As I understand, prices are cheaper if you fly on the 25th
Old Dec 18, 2013, 1:53 pm

you could do yvr-sfo on UA (non stop) for ~600 bucks on Sat, Dec 28.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MaydayMayday
what's your budget?

also...kinda late to be doing this because prices are going to be steep
I'd be willing to drop the $1k on Air Canada's site to git 'er dun, but obviously would rather do it as cheaply (and quickly) as possible. Would like to do it same day too, which makes YYC easy.

fillalph: Good thought- hadn't thought of the multi-leg. When I go through my AQM history, it shows YEG-YYC at 500 AQMs (which seems high). Do you think I could got YVR->YYC->YEG->YVR and get the 1,500? That would be 500 AQM per leg, yeah?
Old Dec 18, 2013, 2:03 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
If you don't mind taking the ferry to YYJ, you can get an extra short segment (YYJ-YVR 500 miles w/ Elite mins) on the outbound, and to most destinations in the US there's no extra cost. Also, flying to the US should Flexify all AC fares. On the return, you might want to opt for something cheap like US Airways LAX-PHX-YVR for $168 a/i (availability at that price 12/26 - 12/28).
Old Dec 18, 2013, 2:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
you could fly on flex to YEG YVR-YYC-YEG-YVR since Calgary is allowed on the routing. 3 segments gets you there for same price as YVR-YEG-YVR or YVR-YYC-YVR. There may be cheaper options and avoid this routing if snow is threatening. YVR-YEG-YYC may also be doable for same price.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 2:24 pm

See what it costs to fly YVR-YYC-YQF and return. This will give 2000 miles in flex. You can book a return 20 minutes after arrival as the plane from YYC turns at YQF. AFAIK no AIF at YQF so that makes things more cost effective.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by rjdennison
Good thought- hadn't thought of the multi-leg. When I go through my AQM history, it shows YEG-YYC at 500 AQMs (which seems high). Do you think I could got YVR->YYC->YEG->YVR and get the 1,500? That would be 500 AQM per leg, yeah?
Yup. Each segment is 500 minimum .
Old Dec 18, 2013, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Great - thanks for all the help everybody.

I booked the YVR->YYC->YEG->YVR flight. Was able to get in and out same day, easy upgrade (except YYC-YEG of course), AQMs on each leg as you suggested.

It also looks like there's a very quick turnaround flight that I might be able to hop on if there's room. Didn't want to book that flight in case of weather issues (as suggested).

Thanks again everybody - plenty of great info & suggestions!

R.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 3:32 pm

Programs: AP SE
Originally Posted by rjdennison
Great - thanks for all the help everybody.

I booked the YVR->YYC->YEG->YVR flight. Was able to get in and out same day, easy upgrade (except YYC-YEG of course), AQMs on each leg as you suggested.

It also looks like there's a very quick turnaround flight that I might be able to hop on if there's room. Didn't want to book that flight in case of weather issues (as suggested).

Thanks again everybody - plenty of great info & suggestions!

R.
What did it set you back in $$?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.