Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Warning: Not all Tango fares will qualify for AQM/AQS. (Class E, N, P)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Warning: Not all Tango fares will qualify for AQM/AQS. (Class E, N, P)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2013, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation Warning: Not all Tango fares will qualify for AQM/AQS. (Class E, N, P)

So I found out the hard way that one of my flights wasn't eligible for AQM / AQS.

Specifically, E-class Tango Fare within Canada is not eligible for AQM / AQS. Zero. Nada. And same applies to Class P and class N)

Before November 28, E class fare within Canada was eligible for AQM / AQS.
http://www3.aeroplan.com/static/pdf/...ov28_prior.pdf

After December 3, E class fare has disappeared off the charts. http://www3.aeroplan.com/static/pdf/...rt_en_Dec3.pdf

Tango Class E, P and N doesnt qualify for AQS / AQM anymore!!!

After waiting for an unusually long amount of time for my flight to post onto Altitude, and it had not posted, I phoned Aeroplan to ask. It was confirmed that I would not be getting AQM or AQS - given the above reasons. I bought Tango, but I had E class.

Air Canada Twitter also first said it should qualify. But then when they checked it, they said it doesn't.

What is upsetting is that the original advertising that came out alluded to the fact that all Tango flights qualify for AQS / AQM.

It says, "You’ll now earn 25% Altitude Qualifying Miles when you purchase a Tango fare for travel within Canada on flights operated by Air Canada and Air Canada Express. Plus you’ll earn 1 Altitude Qualifying Segment for each flight segment."
http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan/altitude/aqm.html

Even more strange or upsetting, is that on my e-ticket it says it should qualify. My E-ticket clearly states, "Flights operated by Air Canada: earn 25% Aeroplan Miles (Altitude Qualifying Miles) for flights within Canada and 50% Aeroplan Miles (Altitude Qualifying Miles) for flights between Canada and the U.S."

But now it doesn't.... so be warned. Had I known this I would've selected my fare class as appropriate
Oh well......... I get screwed (again)..... what I can I do.

/edit: I bought my ticket before the change - in November. The change applied on December 3. Which means I would NOT have known this will happen. Which is screwed up.

Last edited by theseatbelt; Dec 12, 2013 at 9:37 pm
Old Dec 12, 2013, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
That's ridiculous. I'd suggest writing to senior management. The web site still says you get 25% on Tango fares not some Tango fares.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 9:02 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Maybe it because P and E are not sold anymore... at least I hope !
So they forgot to change your booking in an existing class, and now they are refusing to give the points...
Old Dec 12, 2013, 9:03 pm

According to this chart, E, P and N all earn 1 AQS: http://www3.aeroplan.com/static/pdf/...a_Chart_EN.pdf

Is this some recent enhancement? If yes, check whether it existed when you purchased the ticket. If not, then you are owed the miles/segments or else it's fraud
Old Dec 12, 2013, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MaydayMayday
According to this chart, E, P and N all earn 1 AQS: http://www3.aeroplan.com/static/pdf/...a_Chart_EN.pdf

Is this some recent enhancement? If yes, check whether it existed when you purchased the ticket. If not, then you are owed the miles/segments or else it's fraud

The chart you referenced is dated September 24, 2013 (see bottom right corner)

The new chart dated December 3, 2013 is here - http://www3.aeroplan.com/static/pdf/...rt_en_Dec3.pdf
And clearly, it shows Class E, N and P as no longer being AQM / AQS fares. Dissappeared. Wiped off. Without notice.

Last edited by theseatbelt; Dec 12, 2013 at 9:31 pm
Old Dec 12, 2013, 9:19 pm

Programs: MR Plat
I have a E fare ticket coming up on Dec.31 which is supposed to take me over a threshold...

Guess I should call in and figure it out... sigh.

Thanks for the heads-up!
Old Dec 12, 2013, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by theseatbelt
The chart you referenced is dated September 24, 2013 (see bottom right corner)

The new chart dated December 3, 2013 is here - http://www3.aeroplan.com/static/pdf/...rt_en_Dec3.pdf
And clearly, it shows Class E, N and P as no longer being AQM / AQS fares. Dissappeared. Wiped off. Without notice.
Classy as always AC

Made a huge gong show about Tango's finally getting AQS...then within a few months, randomly decided to take it away without a peep. Fantastic.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 9:25 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
I booked a bunch of flights for Jan/Feb 2014 in Tango E back in October thinking they would be eligible for AQS.

This doesn't seem fair for existing bookings prior to Dec 3 when they published that new chart.

Does anyone know who I should contact? Aeroplan, AC?
Old Dec 12, 2013, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by cairo604
I booked a bunch of flights for Jan/Feb 2014 in Tango E back in October thinking they would be eligible for AQS.

This doesn't seem fair for existing bookings prior to Dec 3 when they published that new chart.

Does anyone know who I should contact? Aeroplan, AC?
It isn't. They can't just change their policies randomly and have them retroactively affect customers. When you purchased the ticket, it was a contract that your fare class would give you certain AQS/AQM.

I'd call them and have them switch your fare code or something cause this is really disingenuous behaviour
Old Dec 12, 2013, 9:48 pm

gong show AC, do these guys ever get anything right.

It's like they go out of their way to piss customers off, not sure it's worth dealing with anymore. Just change stuff in the middle of night, mid year, mid qtr, don't advise, lie, blame it on IT issues, dog ate their home work etc etc
Old Dec 12, 2013, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by MaydayMayday
It isn't. They can't just change their policies randomly and have them retroactively affect customers. When you purchased the ticket, it was a contract that your fare class would give you certain AQS/AQM.

I'd call them and have them switch your fare code or something cause this is really disingenuous behaviour
Waiting for the callback....
Old Dec 12, 2013, 10:41 pm
alc

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Maybe it because P and E are not sold anymore... at least I hope !
This may be the case. I just check the Asia Flight Pass and it state it will now book in "W" class instead of "N" class. I recall there was a thread where someone was having issue booking the flight as nothing was available.

It does seems all Air Canada did is remove E, N, P class from all routes again. If I recall correctly, these 3 classes were initially market as "Fun" fare and only show up during promo. So, maybe AC is trying re-use these 3 fare classes for special seat sales where earn no AQM or AQS.

Another thought will be that they already start planning the "Rouge" fare class that earn no AQM/AQS.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by Globex
Waiting for the callback....
So, they will honour the E class apparently because it was purchased before the change. Also apparently, the E class is supposed to be automatically changed at some point before I depart.. (Dec31). This obviously didn't happen to the OP so I'm very skeptical and doubt it'll happen. I'll probably try to call in again tomorrow.

If they try to change it, the system automatically triggers a change fee according to them.

Not sure how to proceed...

Added note, I can change my flight online to the same Tango flight I'm on, and it will rebook me into L class without a change in fare but there is the change fee. So, I guess it depends on whether a rep can waive the change fee (since the fare is right now lower anyways than what I paid) or whether I want to pay $75 to not deal with all this hassle or whether I want to trust the rep and see what happens.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 11:22 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Originally Posted by Globex
So, they will honour the E class apparently because it was purchased before the change. Also apparently, the E class is supposed to be automatically changed at some point before I depart.. (Dec31). This obviously didn't happen to the OP so I'm very skeptical and doubt it'll happen. I'll probably try to call in again tomorrow.

If they try to change it, the system automatically triggers a change fee according to them.

Not sure how to proceed...

Added note, I can change my flight online to the same Tango flight I'm on, and it will rebook me into L class without a change in fare but there is the change fee. So, I guess it depends on whether a rep can waive the change fee (since the fare is right now lower anyways than what I paid) or whether I want to pay $75 to not deal with all this hassle or whether I want to trust the rep and see what happens.
So wait.... they said that they will change your fare class from E to something else?
Old Dec 12, 2013, 11:30 pm

PEN are all being removed from Tango. Sounds like someone forgot to switch some existing bookings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.