Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

My Christmas Wish: Sell us Altitude Qualifying Miles!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist

I have a 18-month old and have continued to cut travel back... After many years of SE, I will drop down to E50K (or maybe E75K if I can push it next week)

Was just reading about Delta offering buy-ups for status of up to 10,000 miles:

http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthew...g-mileage-run/

And American too:

http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthew...-years-status/

I would happily pay $2,500 (1c per mile) for the qualifying miles needed to keep the status (no actual redeemable miles awarded). I think it would be reasonable for AC to sell these up to 25% of miles needed for any status level to save people spending less for a MR and actually taking up seats. I just can't justify the time away.

Just saying... in case anyone is listening? Especially with a little one Concierge service is nice, and IKK is helpful for the charity I work for (cheap last-minute short-haul has saved thousands) I'd pay just to keep those two benefits.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I think the only way to buy status without flying is with an unlimited flight pass. But that's going to set you back about $15k. And you'll get 60k AQM out of it.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 12:38 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I think the only way to buy status without flying is with an unlimited flight pass. But that's going to set you back about $15k. And you'll get 60k AQM out of it.
And those ARE redeemable miles as well, for what it's worth.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I can never find unlimited passes on the AC website. They are all 10 or 6 or some number but not unlimited.

Can you provide a link?
Old Dec 5, 2013, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by peano
I can never find unlimited passes on the AC website. They are all 10 or 6 or some number but not unlimited.

Can you provide a link?
You can't deep-link into flight passes. The Commuter/Rapidar pass has an unlimited option.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 10:19 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM
Originally Posted by mikeyyz
I have a 18-month old and have continued to cut travel back... After many years of SE, I will drop down to E50K (or maybe E75K if I can push it next week)

Was just reading about Delta offering buy-ups for status of up to 10,000 miles:

http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthew...g-mileage-run/

And American too:

http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthew...-years-status/

I would happily pay $2,500 (1c per mile) for the qualifying miles needed to keep the status (no actual redeemable miles awarded). I think it would be reasonable for AC to sell these up to 25% of miles needed for any status level to save people spending less for a MR and actually taking up seats. I just can't justify the time away.

Just saying... in case anyone is listening? Especially with a little one Concierge service is nice, and IKK is helpful for the charity I work for (cheap last-minute short-haul has saved thousands) I'd pay just to keep those two benefits.
25,000 miles for $2,500 is 10 cents per mile!
Old Dec 5, 2013, 10:40 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by YUL_Around_The_World
25,000 miles for $2,500 is 10 cents per mile!
10c per mile is the right price, or so I suggested in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...ight=Hitchcock.

But that was then. This is now.

There was a time not so long ago when many people lamented the great yawning gulf between 35K Elite and 100K Super Elite. Air Canada recently appeared to fix that problem, but as anyone who has been paying attention knows Air Canada never gives anything without taking 14 other things away.

The way to reinstate that massive gap between 100K Super Elites and the scum was to implement co-pays. (They call them "add-ons" to make it sound like they are giving you something, but really they should be called "take-aways" -- or co-pays, as the rest of the world knows them.)

It would only take two TransPac flights as an upgrading Super Elite before you would have already saved $3000. So paying $2500 to get SE is, in the eyes of Air Canada bean counters, a $500 loss.

Air Canada might have sold status at some time in the past (and in fact they did.) But those days are long gone, at least until they implement co-pays for 100K Super Elites as well.

Which is to say... shouldn't be long now.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by KenHamer
10c per mile is the right price, or so I suggested in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...ight=Hitchcock.

But that was then. This is now.

There was a time not so long ago when many people lamented the great yawning gulf between 35K Elite and 100K Super Elite. Air Canada recently appeared to fix that problem, but as anyone who has been paying attention knows Air Canada never gives anything without taking 14 other things away.

The way to reinstate that massive gap between 100K Super Elites and the scum was to implement co-pays. (They call them "add-ons" to make it sound like they are giving you something, but really they should be called "take-aways" -- or co-pays, as the rest of the world knows them.)

It would only take two TransPac flights as an upgrading Super Elite before you would have already saved $3000. So paying $2500 to get SE is, in the eyes of Air Canada bean counters, a $500 loss.

Air Canada might have sold status at some time in the past (and in fact they did.) But those days are long gone, at least until they implement co-pays for 100K Super Elites as well.

Which is to say... shouldn't be long now.
Hmmm... $2500 to get status and avoid paying $3000 in co-pays, or $2500 to get status by flying, avoiding $3000 in co-pays, using up fuel, food, staff, etc. Which makes more sense?

And until UA removes GPUs from their 1Ks, or adds a co-pay, I can't see AC doing it. If you're buying economy fares to international destinations, the only downside to switching to UA is connecting through the US. Is it fun? No. But for a free upgrade?
Old Dec 6, 2013, 7:17 am

Many years ago AE did have an unpublicized program selling status miles. Even back then it was expensive - more than 10c if I recall. I can't see it coming back given the current environment - would be nice though.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 5:50 pm
Original Member

It was exactly 10c per mile -- I saw one of the letters.

A colleague requested consideration to be bumped to Elite, as he was a few miles short. They sent him a letter offering an inexpensive buy up.

Problem was the letter was dated March, required acceptance and payment by April 1, and was postmarked mid-April.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by KenHamer

Problem was the letter was dated March, required acceptance and payment by April 1, and was postmarked mid-April.
Sounds about right.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 7:36 pm

I'd certainly agree with this and for those of us that value status, the alternative is AC earning less money.

Last week I paid about 10 cpm for 16,800 mile, same-day YYC-HKG turn. Had they just given me the miles, they'd be out what they have to pay AP, or not even that if they'd just given me the AQM. Instead, they are out the fuel it takes to fly 165 lb + 20 lb luggage 13,000 miles. 3/4 segments cleared to J, costing them either the opportunity of upgrading other pax and the goodwill that generates or an LMU. The 15 minute shower I took after getting back to YVR could have gone to another tired businessman instead of me. The food and booze I drank in 3 lounges and on-board. And of course, they still have to pay AP.

Also, that's best case. If I'd had another day of spare time, I would've done a run on UA to save money. This would earn AC $0 (actually, probably some negative $ as they'd get dinged for my lounge access) and they'd still give me all the benefits I am doing the run for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.