Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Air Canada 787-8/-9 Dreamliner Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 25, 2014, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: briguychau
*FAQ:
Q: On the 787-9 (789), which seats in J are missing windows?
A: Rows 5 and 8 on both port and starboard sides have only one window, instead of two on all other port/starboard J seats.

Q: On the 787-8 (788), which seats in J are missing windows?
A: Only row 5 port and starboard sides have zero windows.

Q: Does the middle J seats' middle divider come down?
A: No, on the 788 and 789 the middle divider does not come down and is fixed in place. In fact, all Dream Cabin (788, 789, 77L, 77W) middle dividers are fixed and do not come down.

Member pictures & videos of AC 787:

Trip review with pictures from galawdawg:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23555730-post1724.html
pictures from TravellingBeard
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24068136-post2054.html

Onboard videos from cooleddie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBND...ature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvVH...ature=youtu.be
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24182736-post2123.html

Video trip report, J-class, YYZ-YVR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRKfq6KEles

3 Class Video review of AC's Dreamliner with Pilot and SD interview
https://youtu.be/5N4_bIEut6I

Trip review with pictures from FlyerJT:
http://thepointsguy.com/2015/08/air-canada-787-economy-review/

In depth video review of AC's 787-8 Dreamliner International Business Class
https://youtu.be/X8u1jvjk_3w
Print Wikipost

The Air Canada 787-8/-9 Dreamliner Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1K; and a bunch of hotel statuses
Bulkhead J seats

Hi,

Not a frequent flyer with AC, but very curious about its Signature Suite at YYZ and therefore will fly YYZ-DEL on AC's 789. Will its bulkhead seat have even more footrest room than other standard J seats? I've found this true on QR 359, CX773 and AA773, and suspect it will hold for AC 789 but want to double check before taking the bulkhead (downside is the galley light/noise for sure).
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by terryversay
Hi,

Not a frequent flyer with AC, but very curious about its Signature Suite at YYZ and therefore will fly YYZ-DEL on AC's 789. Will its bulkhead seat have even more footrest room than other standard J seats? I've found this true on QR 359, CX773 and AA773, and suspect it will hold for AC 789 but want to double check before taking the bulkhead (downside is the galley light/noise for sure).
Yep. Row 1 has much more legroom in the footwell area.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Yep. Row 1 has much more legroom in the footwell area.
Thanks! that will be worth wearing ear pods and eye shades at Row 1!
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:18 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Hi,

It's not massively more legroom, but it is a good amount. Some of us posted photos of the space at seats 1A and 1K...somewhere in this thread. Also, galley light and noise are partly dependent on the crew and whether they do their best to keep the curtains closed and noise level down during meal prep in the front galley.

Happy Travels and enjoy the Signature Suite.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:01 am

Question

Originally Posted by 24left
It's not massively more legroom, but it is a good amount. Some of us posted photos of the space at seats 1A and 1K...somewhere in this thread. Also, galley light and noise are partly dependent on the crew and whether they do their best to keep the curtains closed and noise level down during meal prep in the front galley.

Happy Travels and enjoy the Signature Suite.
I browsed the history to the joke of skin rash..? Insider joke? Is that likely a random occurrence?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: TK *G
Can't remember if it's on the 777 or 787, 787 is my guess, but in row 1 the foot pad does not extend all the way to the cabin wall. Some may find this annoying. I believe there are pictures showing this problem.

On the other hand, I sometime appreciate the noise from the galley as that helps me to wake up.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, Marriott Platinum, MPC Green
Hi,

One thing I don't like about 1K (and probably true about 1A) is that the FAs use the overhead bin to store stuff like headphones and you have to use 2K bin sometimes.
HampsteadHeath likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
I had a question about 777 vs 788/789.

On the 777, Y is 3/4/3 = 10, and on the dreamliner it is 3/3/3=9 . Is the 777 wider across to accomodate that extra seat?
The J cabins in both have the same seat configuration (possibly the exact same)?

If the 777 is wider across, where is that extra space in J (wider aisles, longer seat?). I've been in J on both aircrafts and dont think I appreciate any difference
Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by YVRYEGYVR
I had a question about 777 vs 788/789.

On the 777, Y is 3/4/3 = 10, and on the dreamliner it is 3/3/3=9 . Is the 777 wider across to accomodate that extra seat?
The J cabins in both have the same seat configuration (possibly the exact same)?

If the 777 is wider across, where is that extra space in J (wider aisles, longer seat?). I've been in J on both aircrafts and dont think I appreciate any difference
According to Wikipedia the cabin width of the 787 is 18 ft (216 inches) while the 777 cabin is 231 inches. Trim the aisles a bit and you can fit an extra Y seat in the 777. I can't give a definitive answer about the J cabin. Perhaps a slight change in angle for the pods?
Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
It doesn't really matter what one's perception is of the pods in the J cabins on the 777s and the 787s. For some of us who live in those things, we know there is a difference - aside from pancake seats.

At least 2 years ago, in this thread, or in the 777 refurb thread or in another thread, we discussed the fact that many of us agreed that the spacing in the J pods is smaller on the 777s than in the 787s. I took measuring tapes on 2 flights, recording various distances and posted them here on the forum.

So those who choose to believe that the J pods and cabin on the 777s are the same as those on the 787s are entitled to their views, but the measurements are there.

I would also suggest that perhaps it's time for someone else to measure again, you know, for scientific purposes. And while you're at it, measure PE and Y and seat pitch and even the lavs. This could be another form of AC IFE - for those of you who are looking for something interesting to do on TATL, TPAC or just to see the reactions of others while wandering around with a tape measure.
shadowspar and smallmj like this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
It doesn't really matter what one's perception is of the pods in the J cabins on the 777s and the 787s. For some of us who live in those things, we know there is a difference - aside from pancake seats.

At least 2 years ago, in this thread, or in the 777 refurb thread or in another thread, we discussed the fact that many of us agreed that the spacing in the J pods is smaller on the 777s than in the 787s. I took measuring tapes on 2 flights, recording various distances and posted them here on the forum.

So those who choose to believe that the J pods and cabin on the 777s are the same as those on the 787s are entitled to their views, but the measurements are there.

I would also suggest that perhaps it's time for someone else to measure again, you know, for scientific purposes. And while you're at it, measure PE and Y and seat pitch and even the lavs. This could be another form of AC IFE - for those of you who are looking for something interesting to do on TATL, TPAC or just to see the reactions of others while wandering around with a tape measure.
I don’t mind looking like an idiot while I wander around with a tape measure and ask people to please excuse me. I would only be confirming others’ initial impression. Having said that, very few things come freely these days. I have read several FT recounts of the glories of your cookies. Perhaps there is some arrangement that can be made. You know, in the interest of science.
jc94 likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS

I conducted my own non-scientific analysis. On a 787, I can place my shoes in the entrance-way to pod vertically. In the 777, they only fit horizontally.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

What @24left said.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: E75K
AC 787-9 Row 14 in PY

Air Canada 787-9 Row 14.

Hi all.

I know for sure that 14 in PY cabin on the 77W has limited recline but the 333 has regular recline.

Does anyone have experience on the 787-9 with Premium Economy in Row 14? Regular recline or is it limited like the 77W.

Typically always do 13 but thinking of sleeping right away on the way home to beat the jet lag. So want to just recline straight away.

Thank you so much.

YYZ >ICN
ICN > YVR
Old Dec 9, 2018, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's really the angle that differs.

While the length measured along the plane centerline is less, the width (mesured across) is more. So one would need to measure both.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.