Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Executive/Executive First Rebranding?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Executive/Executive First Rebranding?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2013, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gtpdiddy
Says "BUSINESS" on my YYZ-FRA on 77W also on 12/3.

When I travel in J all I care really is a lie-flat so I can rest; I'd go for a comfortable Y cabin over paying the premium for an angled-flat J!
I would be OK with lie flats on overnight and Economy plus on day flights ,(i.e. FRA/YYZ) as I tend not to sleep on those flights.Having a chance to chat with Mrs.acysb87 is always a pleasure and will be much easier.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 6:33 am

Programs: FT
wow. no more catchy but misleading description of their business class product. impressive.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 8:05 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Business Class is definitely clearer and more recognizable. Executive First/Super Affaires was a brand name around for years, but rarely did anyone mistake it for being First Class. There are no showers, in-seat bars, fresh cut orchids or sliding panels. Veuve Clicquot Grande Dame and Servuga Caviar & standing Prime Rib has not been served up since the elimination of International First Class. A percentage of our American guests still refer to the forward cabin as "First" reflective of the marketing and branding of the airlines South of the border.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Dorian
You are cherry picking planes, not int'l J on an airline.

As of a few weeks ago I flew BR J in old recliner style seats.
LO is only the 787.

Finally, mediocre means average'ish. By your calculations there are only 40 or so airlines in the world.
LO doesnt have any other longhaul planes...And even at 2-3-2, still a much better J ride across the Atlantic than AC.

How many airlines of AC's size are there in the world? More than 40?

AC's J product is average'ish, and thats a stretch. The only saving grace is the pod.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 8:22 am

I find the new description for the 777HD hilarious - "Studio Pod".
Old Dec 4, 2013, 2:21 pm

So, AC now have 3 different long haul J products (herringbone, reverse herringbone and staggered). So much for streamlining !
Old Dec 4, 2013, 2:34 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by MtlChris
So, AC now have 3 different long haul J products (herringbone, reverse herringbone and staggered). So much for streamlining !
Yes but they have indicated multiple times in the past year that the fleet is getting a refresh. This was indicated again today with the 787 release. The new reverse herringbone will presumably be the new standard. I imagine the A333 and non-HD 777 will be done in parallel to the 787 launch over the next 5 years. They would finish with the 777HD.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by 172pilot
Yes but they have indicated multiple times in the past year that the fleet is getting a refresh. This was indicated again today with the 787 release. The new reverse herringbone will presumably be the new standard. I imagine the A333 and non-HD 777 will be done in parallel to the 787 launch over the next 5 years. They would finish with the 777HD.
So you know why they went with the staggered one then ? Reverse herringbone was already flying for multiple years when AC launched the 777HD. Why the middle step ?
Old Dec 4, 2013, 8:14 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
So you know why they went with the staggered one then ? Reverse herringbone was already flying for multiple years when AC launched the 777HD. Why the middle step ?
I have no idea. It has been speculated that these birds were compensation for the 787 delays. As a result AC may have had no choice but to take this config. Maybe it's an experiment to see how crappy a hard product they can provide and still sell seats. The fact that they are completely different from the old pods and the new 787 config suggests that they are truly temporary. AC will either change them to the 787 config over time or return the entire aircraft to Boeing or the leasing agent once all the 787s are delivered.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by 172pilot
I have no idea. It has been speculated that these birds were compensation for the 787 delays. As a result AC may have had no choice but to take this config. Maybe it's an experiment to see how crappy a hard product they can provide and still sell seats. The fact that they are completely different from the old pods and the new 787 config suggests that they are truly temporary. AC will either change them to the 787 config over time or return the entire aircraft to Boeing or the leasing agent once all the 787s are delivered.
Honestly, no idea. Could've been a test, could've been a desired high density, could've already been outfitted. It might stay, it might be switched.

Only thing I can say for certain: those planes aren't going back to anyone. Based on their FS, it looks like AC got them at what must be one of the cheapest prices they've ever sold for.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rehoult
Honestly, no idea. Could've been a test, could've been a desired high density, could've already been outfitted. It might stay, it might be switched.

Only thing I can say for certain: those planes aren't going back to anyone. Based on their FS, it looks like AC got them at what must be one of the cheapest prices they've ever sold for.
I thought these planes had originally been ordered by some other airline, which canceled or went bankrupt, and that when AC was considering starting a "low cost" transpac airline, they jumped at them because they were so cheap, since presumably the original purchaser had already put a deposit on them. When the cheap transpac thing fell through they had to find a excuse/some serious wishful thinking to keep them.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
All my AC bookings and BPs show Business Class instead of Executive First/Executive now.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 8:00 pm

I liked the Executive First/Super Affaires brand names, as they were unique to AC.
Now that AC renamed Executive First to Business Class, imho, it is a bit too generic, but I think that's exactly what was intended, so there are no confusions that Executive First is actually first class.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 9:29 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K, SPG Gold
I actually like Executive First / Executive / Super Affaires / Affaires much better. It was already well branded by Air Canada and its name kind of elevated the experience or made it sound better than what it actually was. I am surprised they went this way unless there are some downgrades coming to new "business class". It was definitely misleading though to get a boarding pass in CCS with "Executive First" while this route is operated by an A319.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by sluis
its name kind of elevated the experience or made it sound better than what it actually was.
yup, just like lipstick elevates the experience of a pig

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.