Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New Pre-Check like security for Nexus cardholders at YYZ Transborder

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Pre-Check like security for Nexus cardholders at YYZ Transborder

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: AC*Tangerine
Originally Posted by Shareholder
...And it also slows down the NEXUS lane when actual NEXUS members arrive and must wait for inexperienced types going through. This happened to me two weeks ago using the NEXUS lane. It was slow going as a half dozen obviously not NEXUS cardholders had been sent over to the lane just as I showed up.

And thus far haven't seen it operating in T3, though there is a NEXUS lane when I asked, the staff hadn't a clue about the streamlined procedure at T1.

BTW when will AC be able to register TSAPreCheck? I hate flying from a US airport on AC and not having access to the PreCheck lanes.
In my experience, the biggest holdups in Nexus lanes are a result of CATSA using them for staff training. They even had a sign to that effect at YHZ a couple of weeks ago. I guess it makes sense to train staff on low risk pax, but sometimes it makes the NEXUS line no better than the regular one.

I booked a transborder flight last night and in the booking process AC said TSA Precheck would be available for AC flights departing US airports "soon." I was able to enter a known traveller number in APIS too.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by i59bravo
I booked a transborder flight last night and in the booking process AC said TSA Precheck would be available for AC flights departing US airports "soon." I was able to enter a known traveller number in APIS too.
Where did it say that? I see the KTN (it's also on the FP booking - I thought it had been there a while, but maybe not), but I'm now at the final purchase page where it wants my credit card, and I haven't seen any mention of TSA.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:06 am

Hmmm @AirCanada said it was already in effect, but linked me to a 2012 TSA press release announcing that it had expanded to include Canadians with NEXUS.

I guess I'll have to wait a couple weeks to try it out

Edit:

Originally Posted by @AirCanada
It took us a little bit of time to catch up Scott. By entering your "Known Traveler Number" when booking it should flag on bp.
I'm tempted to book a trip to test it out

Last edited by canadiancow; Apr 2, 2014 at 10:12 am
Old Apr 2, 2014, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Where did it say that? I see the KTN (it's also on the FP booking - I thought it had been there a while, but maybe not), but I'm now at the final purchase page where it wants my credit card, and I haven't seen any mention of TSA.
There is the advanced travel information page that must be completed for trips to the US. That page does permit you to enter either a passport number or the number of the back of your NEXUS card. However, I believe I tried using that NEXUS number when I filled out the details on this last YYZ-LAX-YYZ trip but it didn't help yesterday at LAX T2 getting into the PreCheck lane.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 12:15 pm

I can't remember which page it was on, but somewhere in the booking process in the fine print it promised TSA Precheck for AC flights departing the US "soon." It wasn't on the APIS page.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 12:22 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
That didn't seem possible the last time I was there. There was a reasonable barrier in place.

I guess you could hop over it, but you would really stand out as having done so.
Yes. I think part of the requirement for the TSA type pre-check they are evaluating requires the line to be segregated so you can't do that. That's the way it is set up at YYZ now. I think the barricade is about 5 or 6 ft tall and stretches from the entrance where you show your NEXUS card to the conveyor belt, so it would be a good hop!
Old Apr 2, 2014, 5:42 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

YVR Transborder pretends to have "Nexus" only lines, but I find it is either closed, or used for anyone who wants to walk under the ribbon.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by allbrosca
I think the barricade is about 5 or 6 ft tall and stretches from the entrance where you show your NEXUS card to the conveyor belt, so it would be a good hop!
Certainly for International flights the Nexus lane is strictly controlled. At YYZ T1 going to HKG there was a person whose sole job it was to ensure non-Nexus pax went into the "rabble" lane. We sailed through and saved at least 20 minutes last week, if not more.

Nice to know that Nexus now saves you time wherever you're going, not just on trans-border flights.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 11:12 pm

Well I just spent 9 minutes on the phone adding the PASS ID from my NEXUS card to my 6 AC reservations. I'm glad I can do it myself for any future bookings
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, Avis Preferred Plus
Here's what the little popup for the Known Traveller Field on flight pass bookings says:

TSA Pre✓™ will be available in the near future for Air Canada flights departing from select U.S. airports.

The TSA determines a passenger's eligibility for TSA Pre✓™ on a flight by flight basis. You will advised when you check in for your flight if you are eligible. Even if you have a Known Traveller Number, you may not be eligible for TSA Pre✓™.

I checked it a few weeks ago and it just said "more details coming soon" or something to that effect. I called and had my Nexus added for my flight from SEA tomorrow so we'll see what happens!
Old Apr 3, 2014, 11:35 am

Well I just spent 9 minutes on the phone adding the PASS ID from my NEXUS card to my 6 AC reservations. I'm glad I can do it myself for any future bookings
I like your app, by the way. ***** It's leaps and bounds better than AC's non-functional crashware. Thank you for making it available.

Last edited by i59bravo; Apr 3, 2014 at 11:41 am
Old Apr 3, 2014, 3:17 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by allbrosca
Yes. I think part of the requirement for the TSA type pre-check they are evaluating requires the line to be segregated so you can't do that. That's the way it is set up at YYZ now. I think the barricade is about 5 or 6 ft tall and stretches from the entrance where you show your NEXUS card to the conveyor belt, so it would be a good hop!
As of last Sunday, they were still directing non-NEXUS pax to the NEXUS line at YYZ transborder, despite the relaxed security measures.

Hmmm @AirCanada said it was already in effect, but linked me to a 2012 TSA press release announcing that it had expanded to include Canadians with NEXUS.
The only place I've seen 'known traveller number' for AC is where you enter pax information on a flight pass. It's not in the traditional APIS booking form, and I don't think that AC supports TSA Pre yet.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by yvr76
The only place I've seen 'known traveller number' for AC is where you enter pax information on a flight pass. It's not in the traditional APIS booking form, and I don't think that AC supports TSA Pre yet.
Their Twitter team said "It took us a little bit of time to catch up Scott. By entering your "Known Traveler Number" when booking it should flag on bp."

I called in last night and had them add the Known Traveler Number to a bunch of reservations, so it's definitely a field that they can fill out.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 5:08 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
But we've been able to input NEXUS passid on bookings since whenever. it just prevented successful OLCI so we didn't do it. Do tell if that turns out to be fixed!
Old Apr 3, 2014, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by flyquiet
But we've been able to input NEXUS passid on bookings since whenever. it just prevented successful OLCI so we didn't do it. Do tell if that turns out to be fixed!
That's different - that was for APIS.

There's now a Known Traveler Number field like on United (although I can't figure out how to modify it online with an existing reservation).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.