Search

Flights to Nagoya - Experiences??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2002, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Flights to Nagoya - Experiences??

G'day People,
My London contract is coming to an end and my next contract will be in Nagoya, Japan. Lately I have been convinced to go over to KLM because of their promotion (yeah,yeah - I know - KLM will not allow Japanese residents must be with NWA). My question is this:

Has anyone flown the 767 service from YVR to Nagoya and If so - is it as bad as the service to Sydney? I will be flying between Nagoya, Toronto, Adelaide & Hong Kong fequently. My status with Air Canada carries few perks but ANA partnership is a positive factor.

KLM RoyalWing provides NWA domestic upgrades and JAS mileage earning opportunities

and AA Gold is a mystery to me as I have rarely flown them (comped from the CP days)OneWorld status with JAL.

Given a choice - which is a better product, NWA economy or Air Canada Economy, AA Economy to Narita (transfer to Nagoya)? I ask this as an option is to connect through DTW to a direct 747 flight to Nagoya with KLM RoyalWing Status. Seems convenient.

I used to think the secret was to stick with one airline and get status but I never seem to get any benefits. help needed.

Comments appreciated.

Dave - London, UK

P.S. I pay with my dime so no expense account to write off here.

[This message has been edited by davistev (edited 04-18-2002).]
Old Apr 18, 2002, 10:26 am

Having flown all 3 airlines to Asia, I would probably rank it in the following order: AA, NW, AC for Y class service.

I have flow 767 service to ICN(Seoul) on AC about 10 round trips in the past 2 years. If travels are in Y, then I would probably avoid it if possible, as it will not be that comfortable in the back for 10 hours.

I flew AA's DFW-KIX 777 service last August in Y and J. The 14 hour flight was more than tolerable with MRTC/MRTB, edible food, friendly service and PTV IFE at all seats. AA would be my first choice.

It's been at least 4 years since I flew NWA to Japan. The 747's would probably be more comfortable than AC's 767 in Y class. Keep in mind that NW flys old 747-200 and newer 747-400 to Japan along with DC-10s.

My limited experience on ANA was a good one. I flew KIX-ICN (connecting from AA DFW-KIX) in Y and J comp upgrade on the return. I was approached by the lead FA when seated in Y(!) and J class to thank me as a *gold member for flying with them. Service in Y was only drink and snack, service in J was a full meal.

Anyway, I hope this helps with your decision.

[Edited to add a comment about ANA]

[This message has been edited by Flying Buffalo (edited 04-18-2002).]
Old Apr 18, 2002, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Thank you very much Flying Buffalo for your time to reply to my posting. I will certainly keep your cooments in mind. I too am very wary of flying in the back of Air Canada on a 767 for long flights.

I think it is time to search out AA to see what my Gold membership actually entitles me.

Thank You.

Dave - London, UK
Old Apr 18, 2002, 1:46 pm
ALW

Others will know more, but I think there are two things to do if you go with AA. One is to look at the Platinum (~= Elite) Challenge to get better status on AA.

The other is to look at whether you have a Canadian address, 'cause Canadians have lower qualification requirements for Gold (18K) and Platinum (35K).

andrew
Old Apr 18, 2002, 2:02 pm

I have flown longhaul on the 763 (YVR-PEK, YYC-LHR, YYZ-LHR etc.) in the back.

I have never found it to be that bad. I am a fan of the 2-3-2 configuration, as it seems more spacious (and there are very few middle seats).

In fact, everytime I have flown them (save for one flight with friends) the seat next to me has been blocked off (by CP) or empty.

Some of them are beginning to show their age. I have never been on an originally AC 763 though, only former CP planes. The CP planes that were redone in the 'Proud Wings' livery were also refitted inside, and they are not so bad. However the old blue and red CP planes are getting fairly worn.

I wonder if AC will be refitting the Y cabins when they start to overhaul J in the next year or so? Does anyone know? I would guess that they may refit some of those older 763s before getting to their newer aircraft, or those that have been re-fitted in the last several years.
Old Apr 18, 2002, 2:58 pm
B1

I disregarded the Aeroplan opportunity and used JAL (747-400) - very comfortable (nonsmoking Y was upstairs) and pleasant service. You should give JAL a try. The Japan Travel Bureau (in Canada as JTB) gives very good prices - they might even be JAL in disguise. My disregard for FF stuff was so complete that I wound up with membership in the JAL Mileage Bank which evaporated very soon thereafter. Things probably are better now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.