Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Int'l => US connection at YYC, any issues?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2013, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold, UA MP

I'll be transiting at YYC first time this December from FRA-YYC then YYC-DEN. I'm NEXUS/GE member. How long will it take? Do they have dedicated US connection section?

Never been to YYC before so tips appreciated. Been through YYZ/YUL/YVR before

GT
Old Oct 8, 2013, 9:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
Originally Posted by gtpdiddy
I'll be transiting at YYC first time this December from FRA-YYC then YYC-DEN. I'm NEXUS/GE member. How long will it take? Do they have dedicated US connection section?

Never been to YYC before so tips appreciated. Been through YYZ/YUL/YVR before

GT
You will get off the Air Canada flight in Concourse C, then proceed through Canada Customs where you will need to have your customs form ready to enter Canada. Once clearing the first Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) officer, you will pickup your checked luggage. Then you will clear the second CBSA Officer and are 'in Canada'. You will take your baggage with you up to the Departures Level (as you exit Canada Customs you will be on the Arrivals Level) and proceed to checkin with United Airlines. If you have your boarding pass and if your luggage is through checked, you can skip the United Airlines counter and proceed directly into US Customs and Border Protection (US CBP). You will need to complete your customs card to enter the US. You will bring your luggage to a US CBP Officer and clear US Customs and 'enter the US'. You will then drop off your luggage, and then proceed through Security before heading to your gate to board the aircraft.

There can be long lines at Canada Customs when Frankfurt arrives, but there will not normally be long lines at US CBP in the afternoon as they are busier in the morning.

I believe the legal minimum connection time is no less than 1:15 and that will be cutting it close. Ideally you will have close to two hours as a flight from Europe-YYC can easily loose up to 30min on an average day due winds, nevermind all the connecting process aspect to your travel plans, plus a reasonable buffer. Additionally, remember that United Airlines closes their Checkin Counters one hour prior to departure, so if you do not have your UA boarding pass by then, you will automatically miss your connection.

There is a special line at US CBP for Nexus/Global Entry/etc., but this is more helpful to those passengers on morning flights YYC-USA due to the volume of passengers at that time.

There is no lounge that AC/UA have inside US CBP and Security, although there is a contract Servisair Lounge (Chinook I believe it is called) if you did plan a long layover.

Hope this helps...
Old Oct 8, 2013, 11:58 pm

Quite awkward process. Amazing that you can't just pick up the bags and redeposit them if checked through after seeing the agent like in YVR and then head to US Customs.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 4:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold, UA MP
Originally Posted by YYC009
You will get off the Air Canada flight in Concourse C, then proceed through Canada Customs where you will need to have your customs form ready to enter Canada. Once clearing the first Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) officer, you will pickup your checked luggage. Then you will clear the second CBSA Officer and are 'in Canada'. You will take your baggage with you up to the Departures Level (as you exit Canada Customs you will be on the Arrivals Level) and proceed to checkin with United Airlines. If you have your boarding pass and if your luggage is through checked, you can skip the United Airlines counter and proceed directly into US Customs and Border Protection (US CBP). You will need to complete your customs card to enter the US. You will bring your luggage to a US CBP Officer and clear US Customs and 'enter the US'. You will then drop off your luggage, and then proceed through Security before heading to your gate to board the aircraft.

There can be long lines at Canada Customs when Frankfurt arrives, but there will not normally be long lines at US CBP in the afternoon as they are busier in the morning.

I believe the legal minimum connection time is no less than 1:15 and that will be cutting it close. Ideally you will have close to two hours as a flight from Europe-YYC can easily loose up to 30min on an average day due winds, nevermind all the connecting process aspect to your travel plans, plus a reasonable buffer. Additionally, remember that United Airlines closes their Checkin Counters one hour prior to departure, so if you do not have your UA boarding pass by then, you will automatically miss your connection.

There is a special line at US CBP for Nexus/Global Entry/etc., but this is more helpful to those passengers on morning flights YYC-USA due to the volume of passengers at that time.

There is no lounge that AC/UA have inside US CBP and Security, although there is a contract Servisair Lounge (Chinook I believe it is called) if you did plan a long layover.

Hope this helps...
Thank you. Are there NEXUS kiosks at arrival at Canadian CBP? I never check my bags so should be quick, but sounds like it's a pain to exit and re-enter rather than directly bypass Canadian customs and go to US customs since it's a direct connection. I have over 2 hours.

How's the weather in Calgary in early December in terms of delays and IRROPS?

GT
Old Oct 9, 2013, 5:18 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by gtpdiddy
Thank you. Are there NEXUS kiosks at arrival at Canadian CBP? I never check my bags so should be quick, but sounds like it's a pain to exit and re-enter rather than directly bypass Canadian customs and go to US customs since it's a direct connection. I have over 2 hours.

How's the weather in Calgary in early December in terms of delays and IRROPS?

GT
Yes there are Nexus kiosks.

It's impossible to predict the weather, but YYC doesn't have fog as often as YVR or YYZ, which helps. My YYC flights have rarely been delayed.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 5:25 am
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
No...

Originally Posted by YYC009
You will need to complete your customs card to enter the US.

Hope this helps...
Not if you use the Global Entry Machine. You do NOT have to fill out a US Customs card*

*Nexus Yes, GE No. That's why I prefer the GE machine, one less form to fill out (-:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.