Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Amex aeroplanplus platine card: is it worth?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2013, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by jaysona
A trip this weekend YYZ-SFO is $6182 return before taxes/fees, YYZ-YVR is $6204 before taxes/fees, YHZ-HNL is $5534 before taxes/fees.
I guess you just proved your point!
Old Sep 18, 2013, 7:36 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
How does the business/first class discounted or complimentary companion ticket work? Is it booked through AMEX?

Let's say I book a ticket on Turkish Airlines to Tokyo, and it's $4500. But, if they threw in a companion ticket for free (or reduced cost), a friend and I could "split" the fare and then it'd be a more palatable $2250 each. Is that thinking correct?

Is there a list of airlines that are parties to this Platinum card offer?
Old Sep 20, 2013, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by yqtyyz
How does the business/first class discounted or complimentary companion ticket work? Is it booked through AMEX?

Let's say I book a ticket on Turkish Airlines to Tokyo, and it's $4500. But, if they threw in a companion ticket for free (or reduced cost), a friend and I could "split" the fare and then it'd be a more palatable $2250 each. Is that thinking correct?

Is there a list of airlines that are parties to this Platinum card offer?
This is booked through AMEX but what they don't tell you is the companion fare is only eligible on REFUNDABLE tickets.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 8:25 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
Which would likely cost a decent % more... I'm figuring maybe at a MINIMUM - closer to $8K or greater.

Originally Posted by yannerd
This is booked through AMEX but what they don't tell you is the companion fare is only eligible on REFUNDABLE tickets.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 9:51 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by yannerd
This pretty much cancels the benefit.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 11:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Cana2013
This pretty much cancels the benefit.
That is why, before the Platinum Card introduced Marco Polo Gold, Aeroplat seemed pretty good with their 2 for 1 shorthaul redemption benefit..

It was a benefit I see myself using.. travelling to shorthaul destinations that usually can't justify redeeming for, since another 10K per ticket will get me to Florida. The twice my wife and I had the Aeroplat, we redeemed on the 2 for 1 shorthaul benefit.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 6:26 pm

Programs: StarAlliance (Aeroplan)
Originally Posted by robinkar
(...)
In order to get the 30,000 sign up bonus, does the referral have to come from someone who has an Aeroplan Gold, or can it come from someone who has the regular Amex Gold?
I've had success in referring from Amex Gold and Platinum (Both Non Aeroplan) to SPG and Vice Versa but NOT from Amex Platinum to Aeroplan Platinum. I tried 2X and received no Referral Bonus.

I haven't received my full 51K Bonus for spending $1000 either but this one is easy to fight.

Officially you are supposed to refer within your program but for some reason from Amex Rewards to SPG and Vice Versa has worked for me (4-5 times)

I.T.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 6:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by InsaneTravel
I've had success in referring from Amex Gold and Platinum (Both Non Aeroplan) to SPG and Vice Versa but NOT from Amex Platinum to Aeroplan Platinum. I tried 2X and received no Referral Bonus.

I haven't received my full 51K Bonus for spending $1000 either but this one is easy to fight.

Officially you are supposed to refer within your program but for some reason from Amex Rewards to SPG and Vice Versa has worked for me (4-5 times)

I.T.
With Amex point transfer to AE abolished the last couple of years, and the revamping of Platinum benefits (especially Marco Polo Gold, Oneworld), perhaps AE is very particular on Amex Platinum and trying to stop the steam rolling benefits.. Including bonus referrals from Platinum to AE and vice versa. Oneworld and Star Alliance does not get along, hasn't everyone noticed? Plus look at the AC lounge benefit on Platinum card going south.

Amex and SPG referral bonuses make sense since, as the programs are cooperative, not competitive like Star Alliance and Oneworld.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 10:09 pm

I receive most of this card's benefits through status, but I find it is worth it the for the miles alone. I redeem at an average value of $0.03/mile for North American economy rewards. The 50,000 mile sign-up bonus plus the 15,000 mile companion short haul ticket gives me a value of nearly $2000 for this card's $499 first year fee.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by gateguard0
I receive most of this card's benefits through status, but I find it is worth it the for the miles alone. I redeem at an average value of $0.03/mile for North American economy rewards. The 50,000 mile sign-up bonus plus the 15,000 mile companion short haul ticket gives me a value of nearly $2000 for this card's $499 first year fee.
Out of curiosity, was it any more difficult to use the companion short haul ticket benefit than redeeming for reward tickets? Availability is the same? I have that card as well but never took advantage of the benefit. The only time I could have, there was no availability for my own ticket to begin with.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by gateguard0
For some it's worth it
You got 50K sign-up + 15K short-haul saving = 65K at $500
I know some said short-haul wasn't easy to use

In comparison, if one can get AP Gold 30K sign-up bonus via referral at $0 (FYF)
If one also applies for AMEX Gold - 25K MR, $0 (FYF) at the same time
That's 55K at $0 (thanks to FYF)
That's a better deal for some

Personally I used BA Avios for ex-YYZ short-hault flights to NYC/ORD, can't beat 4500 Avios one-way!!
I have OW Sapphire status and *A Gold, so now AMEX Plat or AMEX AP Plat don't mean much on benefits
Old Sep 22, 2013, 9:27 am

Programs: no status
Originally Posted by jerryhung
For some it's worth it
In comparison, if one can get AP Gold 30K sign-up bonus via referral at $0 (FYF)
There's also an offer for AP Gold 20K sign-up bonus WITHOUT referral. I got one last week although I also have the regular AMEX Gold (for which I only got 15K sign-up earlier this year).

Not really sure what the differences are - I think AMEX points convert 1:1 to AP miles, but it earns 2points/$ for most purchases whereas AP Gold only earns 1mile/$. Someone please confirm or explain ...
Old Sep 22, 2013, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Merlin666
There's also an offer for AP Gold 20K sign-up bonus WITHOUT referral. I got one last week although I also have the regular AMEX Gold (for which I only got 15K sign-up earlier this year).

Not really sure what the differences are - I think AMEX points convert 1:1 to AP miles, but it earns 2points/$ for most purchases whereas AP Gold only earns 1mile/$. Someone please confirm or explain ...
The Aeroplan Gold gives you Aeroplan miles.

The Amex Gold gives Amex points that you can convert to Aeroplan 1:1, or Avios 1:1 (or more when there is a transfer bonus like in 50% bonus in spring) or others, or pay with them, or get gift cards, or ... it's more versatile than Aeroplan miles, but in the end if you're going to transfer them all into Aeroplan anyway, then it won't make much of a difference to you, but since both are free the first year and have generous sign-up bonuses it's not a bad idea to get both.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Merlin666

If you don't want to use a referral link, you can sign up at GCR.ca and get 20K Aeroplan + $40 cashback
http://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/d...oplanPlusGold/

For most people, extra 10K Aeroplan is better (via referral) and > $40

AMEX MR is 1:1 to Aeroplan, and 1:1 to BA Avios (sometimes they have 30-50% bonus transfer, then it becomes 1:1.5)

My summary below for 2 cards. AMEX Gold is better in every way, but why not get both if you can, as they're both FYF
AMEX Aeroplan Gold Card
-------------------------------- summary by Jerry ------------------------------
- 30000 Aeroplan points (via referral only) vs. Regular 20K welcome miles, after $500 spending
- First Year Free. $120/year after
- 25000 Aeroplan can get you one North America round-trip flight

AMEX Gold Rewards Card
-------------------------------- summary by Jerry ------------------------------
- 25,000 AMEX Membership Reward points after $500 spending within 3 months
- First Year Free. $150/year after
- 2 points per dollar for Travel, Grocery, Drugstore, and Gas purchases
- AMEX MR is worth at least 1 cent+, so value of $250+, or one North America round-trip flight (25000 Aeroplan)
Old Sep 22, 2013, 9:35 am
Suspended

For some it's worth it
You got 50K sign-up + 15K short-haul saving = 65K at $500
I know some said short-haul wasn't easy to use

That's 55K at $0 (thanks to FYF)
That's a better deal for some

Personally I used BA Avios for ex-YYZ short-hault flights to NYC/ORD, can't beat 4500 Avios one-way!!
I have OW Sapphire status and *A Gold, so now AMEX Plat or AMEX AP Plat don't mean much on benefits
Sounds like Avios is great for shorthaul. I've got Amex points that I can transfer immediately, if I see a flight that I like. It can also transfer to AE, but without bonus incentives, I'm not likely to transfer until I see a need to.

Originally Posted by erik19283
Out of curiosity, was it any more difficult to use the companion short haul ticket benefit than redeeming for reward tickets? Availability is the same? I have that card as well but never took advantage of the benefit. The only time I could have, there was no availability for my own ticket to begin with.
Availability is the same for point redemptions and 2 for 1 benefit redemptions. Its pretty easy, call up AE agent and mention you have this benefit.. they look it up on the computer.. then you go ahead and book the ticket if available just like any available shorthaul flight out there. Obviously there has to be two available redemptions to use the benefit (not sure if it has to be on the same flight or not).

Peak dates are harder to find availability such as the breaks and long weekends.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.