Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best use of 100,000 Aerplan points

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2013, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
You know the quickest way is to sign up for either AMEX Gold (15K or 20K via referral) or CIBC Aerogold by 8/31 (15K)

I believe you're okay with 125K when you BOOK by 12/31/2013
and also, you should be able to change after 1st segment is flown, pending availability and $90 change fee, and same class (to not trigger the new 150K requirement)

You could always ask Aeroplan agent for confirmation without booking
Yes, correct ime.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by jerryhung
You know the quickest way is to sign up for either AMEX Gold (15K or 20K via referral) or CIBC Aerogold by 8/31 (15K)

I believe you're okay with 125K when you BOOK by 12/31/2013
and also, you should be able to change after 1st segment is flown, pending availability and $90 change fee, and same class (to not trigger the new 150K requirement)

You could always ask Aeroplan agent for confirmation without booking
Don't qualify ! No longer resident of Canada.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 2:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Don't qualify ! No longer resident of Canada.
You can purchase AE miles for the balance required to book your mini-RTW through Asia1. IIRC 3 cents per mile.. but business class redemption value is usually at least 5 cents per point redeemed, and you're only buying 25K points.. So $750.

Price out your business class ticket if you're paying, and its still worth you purchasing the mileage difference.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
You can purchase AE miles for the balance required to book your mini-RTW through Asia1. IIRC 3 cents per mile.. but business class redemption value is usually at least 5 cents per point redeemed, and you're only buying 25K points.. So $750.

Price out your business class ticket if you're paying, and its still worth you purchasing the mileage difference.
If you have time buy SPG at 3.5 cents and transfer 20k to 25k AP which makes each mile 2.8cents. Cheaper than buying directly (and even cheaper when SPG has a sale on purchased points).
Old Sep 2, 2013, 11:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by yerffej201
If you have time buy SPG at 3.5 cents and transfer 20k to 25k AP which makes each mile 2.8cents. Cheaper than buying directly (and even cheaper when SPG has a sale on purchased points).
Works on Business Class tickets and First Class tickets. With a family of 4 we usually fly economy to maximize the frequency of trips we can take. Sacrifice comfort in some ways to be able to eke out an extra trip or two. When I'm an empty nester, I foresee flying in style. Nowadays, its about getting the kiddies to Disney, or Hawaii most of the time.

I think I can borrow ahead Amex miles and transfer.. so once that maxes out, I'll think about buying. Right now, I've got about 650K miles.. this after redemption of Hawaii for 4, and MCO spring break for 4.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Works on Business Class tickets and First Class tickets. With a family of 4 we usually fly economy to maximize the frequency of trips we can take. Sacrifice comfort in some ways to be able to eke out an extra trip or two. When I'm an empty nester, I foresee flying in style. Nowadays, its about getting the kiddies to Disney, or Hawaii most of the time.

I think I can borrow ahead Amex miles and transfer.. so once that maxes out, I'll think about buying. Right now, I've got about 650K miles.. this after redemption of Hawaii for 4, and MCO spring break for 4.
not sure if you can do that for canada (you can top up but not sure if you can transfer those as those are for if you need points to redeem merchandise). but maybe you could ask

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.