Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Gate agents too lazy to ask for seat pref.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2013, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.

This happens so frequently, that I should have posted years ago. My biggest pet peeve on AC is the fact that whenever I do a same day change, or if an upgrade goes through at the gate, that the gate agent (or check-in agent) are too lazy to ask me for my seat preference. The result is that they print a boarding pass with a seat I don't want, and then I ask them to change it and they have to print the boarding pass again. This happens almost every time I do a same day change or have an upgrade clear at the gate. And, with respect to the latter, I'm not talking about about a full J cabin with multiple people cleared at gate... I'm talking about getting a window seat in row 3, when all the bulkhead seats are open and J is half full. At a minimum, how hard it is to say, "Sir, do you prefer window or aisle?"
Old Jul 24, 2013, 9:01 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
[AC_GA]"You're lucky to be getting a seat at all."[/AC_GA]
Old Jul 25, 2013, 6:47 am

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
What if the gate agent is a hottie? Then you actually have a reason to chat her up.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 6:52 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Ted, with the First World problems that you are continually writing about, I am
beginning to understand why all the hotties that you are always running into
during your travels don't seem to want to stick around.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
I'm trying to save some trees!
Old Jul 25, 2013, 7:21 am

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by DaveTO
What if the gate agent is a hottie? Then you actually have a reason to chat her up.
What are the odds of this actually being the case?
Old Jul 25, 2013, 7:22 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Since this happens *so frequently* I'm wondering why you are too lazy to ask them for a seat assignment when you ask for the same day change.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Lazy is an understatement, some of them are just not meant for the job.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DaveTO
What exactly is a hottie? A hot potato sized GA?
Old Jul 25, 2013, 8:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
At a minimum, how hard it is to say, "Sir, do you prefer window or aisle?"
At a minimum how hard is it to state your preference before she prints the boarding pass? If you don't ask it is not unreasonable for the agent to conclude you don't care and will plop you wherever. Show a little initiative.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 8:21 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Badenoch
At a minimum how hard is it to state your preference before she prints the boarding pass? If you don't ask it is not unreasonable for the agent to conclude you don't care and will plop you wherever. Show a little initiative.
IME the boarding pass is already printed when I'm called up to the counter. My initial comment was only 1/2 in jest; a majority of GAs I've encountered in this situation have had a "well, you're getting a seat, so what's the problem??" attitude.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 9:14 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
[GA] If you don't like the seat you get, so help me, I will put you on a flight to YYZ instead. [/GA]
Old Jul 25, 2013, 9:32 am
alc

not to help AC to defend, just sharing my experience....

I always tell the agent my seat pref in advance and they always still have to print out a boarding pass that they will rip it apart. So, I actually wonder if for these situation, it have to be first go thru the computer automatic assignment first before the agent can assign a seat manually.

Any AC personnel can comment?
Old Jul 25, 2013, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alc
not to help AC to defend, just sharing my experience....

I always tell the agent my seat pref in advance and they always still have to print out a boarding pass that they will rip it apart. So, I actually wonder if for these situation, it have to be first go thru the computer automatic assignment first before the agent can assign a seat manually.

Any AC personnel can comment?
The agent can assign the seat and then issue the BP, but lazy ash agents just dont bother.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 9:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flyquiet
[GA] If you don't like the seat you get, so help me, I will put you on a flight to YYZ instead. [/GA]
That made me laugh

Only once have I been asked a seat preference for an upgrade.

And in that case, the upgrades had already been processed, and my name was not on the list that was used (hint: there is more than one upgrade list). J was half full, so when she was about to do my upgrade, she asked "window or aisle?".

Then it turned out the two seats behind me were empty (the seat beside me was not), so I asked the SD if I could move there, and he said it was fine. And this brings up another point. 3A is occupied, 3C, 4A, 4C are free. Why did I get put into 3C?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.