Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Odd interaction with YYC checkin agent

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2013, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, AC 25K

Hi,

I was at YYC yesterday evening and the agent made a few comments that made me want to scream.... I was considering writing a letter to AC. Thoughts?

1st...
One of my bags was too heavy at 55.5 lbs, and her comment was that I had to get it under 50 lbs because Transport Canada won't allow it. I told her that I have problem trying to lower it below 50 lbs, but I don't understand this regulation that TC won't allow it as when I was an Elite I was allowed up to 75 lbs. She stated that she doesn't know how Elites get away with it but she has been working there for years now and that she should know the rules. In any case, I lowered it to 51.9 lbs and asked if it was okay, she said that she's not suppose to, but will allow it.

Mind you, I have no issue that she didn't want to allow me to have my suitcase over 50 lbs, but she could have asked if I wanted to pay for overweight suitcase. Also, although I do not know if her comment about TC is correct, but I find it quite bizarre that TC would differentiate AC's FF. If she did make up this rule, I do not appreciate made up rules.
2nd...
After the first suitcase was dealt with, we went to my second. Since I was carrying some fragile items, I was wondering if they can place some fragile stickers on it. She stated that it is not recommended to check in fragile items. I told her that I understand but have no choice. She proceeds to add a sticker. I then ask her, "out of curiosity, how does Air Canada Cargo ship fragile items." Her answer that Air Canada does not ship any cargo on planes with passengers.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 9:55 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Not even worth typing out here let alone Air Canada, IMO.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:31 am

Programs: BA Exec Silver, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors Gold
I think there is a safety requirement that no one piece of luggage can weigh more than 32 kg, so she may have been enforcing that.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:32 am

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
I would write to AC, but don't expect anything other then a form letter response. I would suggest you ask for a supervisor to clarify the baggage weight issue. As an elite I have 3 bags with a limit of 100 lbs each, so she is 1""% wrong on the TC "rule". It is my understanding that TC only regulates the size and weight of your carry on.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:33 am

I don't get the want to scream part. Yes, it's an annoyance, but I can't see why you'd want to scream. Nothing really to write about though.

- E/SE/J get up to 70lbs., all others get 50 lbs.
- Her comment about TC is incorrect. >70 lbs. is not accepted by AC, and >50 lbs. get a heavy tag. I believe it has something to do with baggage handler safety (so no one finishes their shift with a broken back).

But honestly, if it's one of those stations where you weigh your bag and tag it, and then drop it off at the belt yourself, you could theoretically stuff in some extra pounds after it's been tagged and no one would ever know.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by JTXC
I think there is a safety requirement that no one piece of luggage can weigh more than 32 kg, so she may have been enforcing that.
50lbs is not close to 32kg...
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I can understand a check-in agent not knowing how cargo works, but I just pulled up the email for the flight I booked last night, and...

1st bag: Complimentary
2nd bag: Complimentary
3rd bag: Complimentary
Max. weight per bag: 32 kg (70 lb)
I would have asked for a supervisor.

But yeah, don't get me started on check-in agents. There's a reason I use OLCI, and it really has nothing to do with standing in line

My last experience was at SFO. There was a reasonable line in the normal queue, and priority was empty. So I went into the priority line. And they took another person from regular. And another. And another. So I went over and said "Do you plan on serving the priority line at some point?" I got a crude response like "Are you business class?" which I answered with "Yes, and Elite." They finally said someone would be over shortly. So after a few more people were helped from the regular line, they finally got to me. I would have been helped sooner had I joined the regular line. I was not impressed.

And now that I think about it, that's almost the same situation. A check-in agent didn't understand what perks are being advertised for elites, and had a negative impact my flying experience before I even got to the TSA.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
The three 70 lb bags you quote are for people with E or SE status. This is the 32 kg thing and yes, it's the max they expect their employyes should be expect to carry.

Otherwise it's 50 lb. So the agent was right in enforcing the rule, but wrong in attributing them to TC. Nice scapegoat though.

But anyway, since she was just enforcing the rules, no case for complaining. The wrong scapegoat should not be a major issue.

Happened to us in BOS in May. Flying in J, purchased Z and a reward. Bags slightly over 50 lb. Then when she noticed our status she was quite apologetic.

Worst I have seen was at the J check in at LHR. She had me weight my carryon and forced me to check it. I guess I did not look sufficiently formal for her taste, or more likely it was because she lost face, having initially told me I was in the wrong line.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 12:14 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
Transport Canada now Checking bags

Hey everyone, just a heads up.

On thursday afternoon while boarding AC166 in YVR, transport Canada was at the door of the airplane weighing and measuring carry-ons, no AC agent was with them. He had no concern for status or anything like that, just simple to heavy or to big - it will be checked.

I am guessing there will be more of this or will be strictly enforced, the FA and I chatted about it and he said expect more of this.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by apsmgr
Hey everyone, just a heads up.

On thursday afternoon while boarding AC166 in YVR, transport Canada was at the door of the airplane weighing and measuring carry-ons, no AC agent was with them. He had no concern for status or anything like that, just simple to heavy or to big - it will be checked.

I am guessing there will be more of this or will be strictly enforced, the FA and I chatted about it and he said expect more of this.
Seriously? Are they going to weigh my laptop bag? It is small, but with two laptops, and weighs probably more than 11KG... Funny enough, my roller carryon is usually always under 11kg...
Old Jul 2, 2013, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by danapop
Seriously? Are they going to weigh my laptop bag? It is small, but with two laptops, and weighs probably more than 11KG... Funny enough, my roller carryon is usually always under 11kg...
I'm the same. I have a backpack and a rollaboard. Backpack has two laptops. Guess which is heavier

Although my backpack typically looks "heavy", but I doubt anyone would think it's heavier than the big bag that needs wheels!
Old Jul 2, 2013, 9:20 pm

Programs: various
Had a somewhat similar interaction at YYZ last week. Flying YYZ-ZRH and was checking-in a regular bag and a bike bag. The agent was going to charge me the $75 fee for the bike. I reminded her that fee is now waived for all Elites and SE. She said no, I insisted, she then checked with a manager, manager said no - only waived for North America, I insisted, she checked with other agents, nobody knew. She read over her "rules" for about 15 minutes, had other agents read them too but still thought I needed to pay the fee. I politely insisted. She eventually "did me a favour" and didn't charge for the bike!

Man they need to get their sh*t together!
Old Jul 2, 2013, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by YYZFlyboy
Had a somewhat similar interaction at YYZ last week. Flying YYZ-ZRH and was checking-in a regular bag and a bike bag. The agent was going to charge me the $75 fee for the bike. I reminded her that fee is now waived for all Elites and SE. She said no, I insisted, she then checked with a manager, manager said no - only waived for North America, I insisted, she checked with other agents, nobody knew. She read over her "rules" for about 15 minutes, had other agents read them too but still thought I needed to pay the fee. I politely insisted. She eventually "did me a favour" and didn't charge for the bike!

Man they need to get their sh*t together!
And then we have threads complaining about how elites bring everything as carry-on...
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:17 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Although my backpack typically looks "heavy", but I doubt anyone would think it's heavier than the big bag that needs wheels!
That's one thing I love about BA, carry on baggage weight limit is 51 lbs!
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:23 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by Jagboi
That's one thing I love about BA, carry on baggage weight limit is 51 lbs!
The shocking one for me is SQ. Been held to 7kg flying F out of SFO and LAX every time (8x now?). Zero exceptions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.