Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Distinction, Aeroplan's new member recognition program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2013, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
Aeroplan is making major changes to the program that will be implemented on January 1, 2014, including:

• The launch of Distinction, a new tiered recognition program that rewards top accumulating members, based on total Aeroplan Miles earned across all coalition partners, with preferential mileage levels for redemption, bonus mile offers and exclusive privileges;

• New Market Fare Flight Rewards to replace ClassicPlus Flight Rewards, offering significantly improved value, with all members having access to mileage levels reduced by up to 20%, and Distinction members enjoying reductions of up to 50%; and

• The cancellation of the seven-year mileage redemption policy, with Aeroplan Miles no longer expiring for members active in the program each year.
Print Wikipost

Distinction, Aeroplan's new member recognition program

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:06 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors, Le Club Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by alc
I am not sure how can they tell if those AMEX MR are sign-up bonus or not. They are MR points, and show up the same when it come in to your account. I think this T&C might be referring to Aeroplan Credit Card Sign-up bonus like CIBC (or future TD) Aerogold and AMEX AeroplanPlus.
On my transactions, MR points are not credited towards distinction.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:06 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by alc
I am not sure how can they tell if those AMEX MR are sign-up bonus or not. They are MR points, and show up the same when it come in to your account. I think this T&C might be referring to Aeroplan Credit Card Sign-up bonus like CIBC (or future TD) Aerogold and AMEX AeroplanPlus.
AE from MR are "miles accumulated through conversion programs" and therefore do not count neither.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:09 am
alc

Originally Posted by 1011TriStar
On my transactions, MR points are not credited towards distinction.
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
AE from MR are "miles accumulated through conversion programs" and therefore do not count neither.
hmm, i guess i need to read more once the web site is back up. Thanks.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:11 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors, Le Club Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by alc
hmm, i guess i need to read more once the web site is back up. Thanks.
Website is up now. Im logged in.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:13 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
This really does get stranger by the day. So if I understand this correctly, now AC has its own elite status program (Altitude) .... Aeroplan has its own elite status program (Distinction) .... and they have no relation to one another whatsoever except that for now at least, they use a common currency (i.e AE points).

I really wish that Air Canada and Aeroplan would just split and be done with it. Who knows, maybe AC can come up with a decent FF program once they're completely rid of Aeroplan. I'm not holding my breath, but it can't be any worse than this idiotic situation.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:23 am

I finally got logged into my AP page....

And this is VERY interesting. I'M currently "dSilver" (25k eligible points accumulation).

I started playing the game 4 months ago, I'm 3 billing cycles in. I've collected in the order of 65k AP miles, 5ish thousand is AQM (god damn tango fares).

I'm SURE I haven't aquired 20k through CC spend in the last 3 months, at MOST I've picked up 12k there. So that accounts for 17k, Where's the other 8 coming from?

The only other transactions I've got are gas (most definitly not 8k in 3 months!) and CC signup bonuses.

I'd say that some CC bonuses count as eligible points accrual....
Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Symmetre
I'm not holding my breath, but it can't be any worse than this idiotic situation.
Are you a regular E or are you an E with Distinction?
Are you a regular SE or are you a SE with Distinction?

The latter sounds more pretentious.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:25 am
alc

This really does get stranger by the day. So if I understand this correctly, now AC has its own elite status program (Altitude) .... Aeroplan has its own elite status program (Distinction) .... and they have no relation to one another whatsoever except that for now at least, they use a common currency (i.e AE points).

I really wish that Air Canada and Aeroplan would just split and be done with it. Who knows, maybe AC can come up with a decent FF program once they're completely rid of Aeroplan. I'm not holding my breath, but it can't be any worse than this idiotic situation.
if AC and AE do split, I hope they will keep some link between them so convert our points between the 2 programs, at least for a short period of time.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:26 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat

Somewhat correct. While the currency is the same, not all currency counts. AC bonuses will not count towards distinction. And any promos/bonuses from Distinction may not count towards Altitude. And MR or other conversions into AP will not count towards distinction or altitude. Best to consider them two separate programs.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by danapop
Maybe I'm niive but I don't think that many people spend 75-100K a year on a CC...
You are naive. I put about $150-200k per year on my cards.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:32 am

Programs: AC, CX Gold, SPG Gold
Does anyone else have trouble logging into their AE account? The site keeps giving me an error that "An incorrect Aeroplan Number or Password/Pin was entered."
Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:35 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by Homerclees
Does anyone else have trouble logging into their AE account? The site keeps giving me an error that "An incorrect Aeroplan Number or Password/Pin was entered."
Same.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:36 am

Programs: Irrelevant
I have been having similar issues, it has been going on for several hours now, the aircanada.com booking site and altitude sites are affected as well, another stellar IT deployment.

I wonder if AC will pursue AE for any sort of financial damages related to this?
Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:41 am

Programs: AC, CX Gold, SPG Gold
I guess I'm lucky that I made all my bookings for this year's trip yesterday!
Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:42 am

Programs: A3 *G; AC
Exactly what I keep getting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.