Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Distinction, Aeroplan's new member recognition program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2013, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
Aeroplan is making major changes to the program that will be implemented on January 1, 2014, including:

• The launch of Distinction, a new tiered recognition program that rewards top accumulating members, based on total Aeroplan Miles earned across all coalition partners, with preferential mileage levels for redemption, bonus mile offers and exclusive privileges;

• New Market Fare Flight Rewards to replace ClassicPlus Flight Rewards, offering significantly improved value, with all members having access to mileage levels reduced by up to 20%, and Distinction members enjoying reductions of up to 50%; and

• The cancellation of the seven-year mileage redemption policy, with Aeroplan Miles no longer expiring for members active in the program each year.
Print Wikipost

Distinction, Aeroplan's new member recognition program

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by tyberius
Two years ago for 145k we could get a RTW in first class with no scamcharges.
it was 120k for F before the devaluations of mid-2011.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:21 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
The decent enhancements to the program (elimination of 7 year expiry and 50% 1-way rewards) are available to all members. Waived/reduced change fees, elimination of 21 day restriction for cancellation etc. are not offered for even new Distinction Diamond members.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:24 pm
Suspended

Also these tier names are the worst things ever. What the hell is being graduated out of marketing departments these days.

D'diamond is like a name I'd expect to come in front of an NFL nose tackle's last name.

What kind of crackhead theme goes with a precious metal, a color which is a lack of any color, and then a precious stone.

Complete mixed metaphor. Stupid and confusing, and the "D" in front just doubles up on the stupid. I mean I expect to be enhanced up the butt every year by these jackasses but this just takes the cake.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:26 pm

Programs: down to Zone 5
Originally Posted by alc
I guess this will apply to next year when you become SE via AQS. I did SE via AQS last year and I have close to 70K AQM with my 95 AQS. You said you will be SE via AQS, how many AQM do you expect by end of this year?
For 2013 so far...

On Altitude I have:
- just under 35k AQM (would've been 37.5k if I had min 500 mile perk)
- 75 AQS as of last Fri

I just managed to log into Aeroplan finally. It shows I'm actually dBlack with:
- 55k miles

I do not own any mileage credit cards, so the extras must be from partners & bonuses of some sort?

Either way my chance of reaching dDiamond is not high. So I'll be the SE with 150 AQS and dBlack in 2014.

Like I said, confusing as heck to me.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
Also these tier names are the worst things ever. What the hell is being graduated out of marketing departments these days.

D'diamond is like a name I'd expect to come in front of an NFL nose tackle's last name.

What kind of crackhead theme goes with a precious metal, a color which is a lack of any color, and then a precious stone.

Complete mixed metaphor. Stupid and confusing, and the "D" in front just doubles up on the stupid. I mean I expect to be enhanced up the butt every year by these jackasses but this just takes the cake.
But how do you really feel? Kidding, of course. I agree with the names. I wonder if people with no status will be dBag perhaps?
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yvr76
The decent enhancements to the program (elimination of 7 year expiry and 50% 1-way rewards) are available to all members. Waived/reduced change fees, elimination of 21 day restriction for cancellation etc. are not offered for even new Distinction Diamond members.
And watch how many of those 1 way rewards will be available, and pay attention to the scamcharge associated with them.

Considering how many people actually need to use them vs. book a nice long haul ticket I don't see it being a net positive for utility.

What it is, is a devaluation opportunity, with the sprinkles of sugar on it to make the medicine go down. Again.

The core utility of the program is in exchanging miles for two way tickets. This has become harder and harder as availability becomes less and less, the scamcharges go up and up, and the point requirements go up and up further.

Minor give backs (which they will simply claw back again in the future on future enhancements) are just cover for the core devaluation of the program.

Every time your earned miles are harder to exchange for tickets and require more cash to do so, they win, and you lose. You can take all of the minor stuff and hug it but the program is not about cancelling tickets. That's a convenience. The program is used to book and use tickets, that's core functionality and that got another limb sliced off today. Again.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by danapop
But how do you really feel? Kidding, of course. I agree with the names. I wonder if people with no status will be dBag perhaps?
Well a bag is a catch all, so I would expect all tiers to be grouped into one global "dBag" status. Other customers use silly outdated terms for this like "customer."

So even if you are a dDiamond, you are still in their eyes, a valued dBag member.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Well a bag is a catch all, so I would expect all tiers to be grouped into one global "dBag" status. Other customers use silly outdated terms for this like "customer."

So even if you are a dDiamond, you are still in their eyes, a valued dBag member.
And for the record I am a dBlack dBag and I don't know how it happened.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:33 pm

Programs: down to Zone 5

Ditto.

Rouge => Rogue
Altitude => Attitude
Distinction => Extinction (ok I'm stretching this one a tad bit... somebody gimme a better word that starts with a D)
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:41 pm
alc

Originally Posted by sulfur
Ditto.

Rouge => Rogue
Altitude => Attitude
Distinction => Extinction (ok I'm stretching this one a tad bit... somebody gimme a better word that starts with a D)
How about depression
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yodayoda
Amazing how a 20% mileage hike for Business/First class redemption is being hailed as "Good News". And to be honest, the ClassicPlus redemption rates have been so absurd, a 20% reduction via Market Fare is an absolute joke.

It looks like we're in for a very painful 5 yr run until the AC/AE partnership status is resolved. It looks like both sides have pre-emptively laid the ground work for an eventual divorce (or at least we hope will be).
The loser in this divorce is going to be Aeroplan.

Primarily we are fliers.

If Air Canada Altitude goes into competition with Aeroplan on all levels, which one of the two is going to become redundant once you can't earn Aeroplan points on Air Canada and Star Alliance flights?

You'll have your Amex Altitude card and your Amex Aeroplan card.

Which one are you going to use?

There is a place in the market for Airmiles.ca and this is going to essentially make Aeroplan a copy of that program. Their primary advantage to this point has been the Air Canada / Star Alliance relationship.

But that's going to be gone.

I don't use Airmiles.ca but I recognize its place in the market and people who use it for what it is. That means to me I don't need a clone of that program. Flying is the crux for me.

SPG is not going to be listing Aeroplan as a partner for transferring miles. Hyatt eliminated them a couple of years ago and then InterContinental did. They will likely accept Altitude.

So in my opinion, the faster this divorce gets over with the better. Maybe even with full control over the program again, Air Canada can offer some benefits. Certainly both of them independently suck now. One can hope with some unity over the features that should never have been split apart (except for corporate greed) one decent FF program can arise from the ashes.

/takes a long drink of koolaid and waits
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:44 pm
Suspended

And oddly enough 3 days ago I posted my first redemption flight to Miles & More on a LOT flight. I thought twice about it because of the 210,000 mile redemption in first class but I wanted to get access to Swiss scamfree inventory.

Certainly I will no longer credit flights to Aeroplan as status means crap all now, eUps I can't use, and now the miles are of questionable use due to scamcharges on 50% of the flights and no availability short of United on scamfree carriers.

Who knows, maybe at the end of the divorce Air Canada will join Miles & More. Maybe this is the future, one program for all of Star Alliance, with uniform rules and redemption.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:47 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Hmm... I was going another way than sports, with that Double-D level.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:51 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by CanadaDH
It's interesting that the terms say credit card bonus miles don't count as 'Distinction eligible', but when I look at the transactions in my account, I have a credit card signup bonus that is flagged as being eligible. It has also included a referral bonus. The only transactions in my account that are not flagged as eligible are from Decima surveys.
Aw come on, the website has been down half a day. Give them a chance to process the clawbacks!
Old Jun 27, 2013, 3:15 pm

Programs: SQ*G, BA, DL
Increased Mileage Levels for Biz/First

Does anyone know if the increased mileage levels apply by any means to Europe - Australia, NZ, Asia, Africa flights? I can't seem to find anything on the website...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.