Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Maple Leaf™ Lounge at Heathrow Airport’s Terminal 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Maple Leaf™ Lounge at Heathrow Airport’s Terminal 2

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2014, 6:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Shareholder
The LH lounge is in the close in pier while the AC and UA lounges are in the outer pier, so if departing on AC or UA, it's best to use their lounges to minimize the walking. However, since you arrive off an LH flight, you can sample that lounge, then make your way to the outer pier and give the other two a try. Hard to say which lounge is nicer/better. UA's is larger and AC's can get quite crowded around midday with many flights departing. Food spreads are good in both, with hot dishes as well as cold ones. Both have tended bars. IIRC there is also a Plaza Premium lounge in T2 in the same pier as LH's lounge though it wasn't open when I was through back in August. (And of course, there's UA's Arrivals Lounge landslide, open to AC and SA J passengers too.)
Thanks! If relatively close, I'll lounge hop. As i arrive around 6:30am, I'll probably be plopping down on the first empty seat I find, but good to see if I can find something quiet.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Quick followup, and apologies if I missed the answer on this (very thorough) thread.

On a YYZ-LHR-FRA flight, I fly both in and out of terminal 2, AC in and LH out. Based on these instructions from the Heathrow website, there is no difference between European and non-European departures for *A? I understand Britain is not part of the Schengen zone, so I'm guessing this is the reason.

I'm thinking, if for whatever (really remote) reason they decided to join the Schengen zone in the future, they would have to somehow "split" Terminal 2 up for security purposes?

Last edited by TravellingBeard; Oct 15, 2014 at 7:39 am
Old Oct 14, 2014, 9:49 pm

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer/BA Blue/AB Classic
Originally Posted by TravellingBeard
I'm thinking, if for whatever (really remote) reason they decided to join the Schengen zone in the future, they would have to somehow "split" Terminal 2 up for security purposes?
Theoretically yes, but the possibility of the UK joining the Schengen zone is 0 to none really, seems these days that most people in this country want to get out of the EU (unfortunately) not establish closer ties to it.

Originally Posted by k22
Couldn't find a two-pin plug for laptop...the list goes on
Sorry to sound a little flippant, but I don't understand why you don't bring an adaptor with you when you travel? I travel frequently (mostly to continental Europe) and never leave the house without my UK-to-EU plug adaptor? Surely they sell North American-to-UK plug adapters in the United States and Canada?

I know when I've travelled to North America in the past, the last thing I'd expect to see is a UK plug socket in a lounge.

All your other complaints seem valid however, and a little worrying (will be using the Lounge myself for the first time in March, hopefully it won't be as bad in the evening though) but I just found this plug complaint a little pedantic for a traveller in a foreign country.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 8:49 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by BlakeySFC
Theoretically yes, but the possibility of the UK joining the Schengen zone is 0 to none really, seems these days that most people in this country want to get out of the EU (unfortunately) not establish closer ties to it.

Sorry to sound a little flippant, but I don't understand why you don't bring an adaptor with you when you travel? I travel frequently (mostly to continental Europe) and never leave the house without my UK-to-EU plug adaptor? Surely they sell North American-to-UK plug adapters in the United States and Canada?

I know when I've travelled to North America in the past, the last thing I'd expect to see is a UK plug socket in a lounge.

All your other complaints seem valid however, and a little worrying (will be using the Lounge myself for the first time in March, hopefully it won't be as bad in the evening though) but I just found this plug complaint a little pedantic for a traveller in a foreign country.

+1 on the plug issue

Just a FYI....BlakeySFC is right and I also never leave home without the adapter plugs. Thankfully, the plug world is easier to navigate than it was many years ago and especially now that all of my devices do not require converters. I was also very happy not to need anything in Tokyo as North American plugs fit their outlets (and seem to power up faster too).

If you have Apple devices, the Apple store and others sell the charger plugs with a collection of interchangeable end prongs that you can switch out as you travel. Since I only needed a plug for the UK, I picked one up at one of the national electronics chains.

Finally, there is the last resort at airports: the lounge mystery drawer. I was in an airline lounge when someone approached the desk who did not have whatever cable or plugs he needed. Concierge opens a desk drawer to reveal a large collection of both. I have also seen this at hotels. (Some people prefer not to use unknown attachments due to malware issues, but it's really one's decision to make if one needs to plug-in)
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold
No, they would have to do something similar as in Terminal 5 where passengers from both domestic and international destinations mingle. Connecting pax from domestic flights do not have to go through security again.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Here's a follow up on the new LH lounge that's just opened this month:

http://lufthansaflyer.boardingarea.c...eens-terminal/
Old Oct 17, 2014, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Quick followup, and apologies if I missed the answer on this (very thorough) thread.

On a YYZ-LHR-FRA flight, I fly both in and out of terminal 2, AC in and LH out. Based on these instructions from the Heathrow website, there is no difference between European and non-European departures for *A? I understand Britain is not part of the Schengen zone, so I'm guessing this is the reason.

Basically it's because all flights from/to this terminal are outside the UK, either in the EU or elsewhere in the world, and yes, the UK eschews Schengen status.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Basically it's because all flights from/to this terminal are outside the UK, either in the EU or elsewhere in the world, and yes, the UK eschews Schengen status.
That is not necessarily a bad thing, though, as UK visas allow leave to enter for 6 months (for a tourist visa), while the EU schengen area only allows 90 days/180 days.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:41 am

Angry Access to Maple Leaf Lounge at LHR

I am travelling next month to London and because of government travel policies I am forced to travel economy class. They also cheaped out and booked me on a Tango fare. I want to be able to use the Maple Leaf Lounge on my return flight. I am a Prestige 25K member and a dSilver member. I have Maple Leaf Lounge One-Time Guest Passes but have been told I cannot use them for the International lounges. I am told I cannot eupgrade because of the Tango fare. I am told I cannot purchase a one-time pass for the lounge. What can I do to gain access to the lounge?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Throw yourself on the mercy of this thread and hope a FTer is travelling that day who can guest you in?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l-pass-48.html
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:34 am

Thanks gglave
Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:34 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Based on my experience this week:

Plaza Premium: Dark (no windows, underground), smallish, decent food selection
Air Canada: Small. Only one shower (?) 1+ hour wait
United: Great showers (6-8) and design and food

Arriving on AC J but departing on SAS Y, United staff weren't willing to trust the AC lounge staff about my *G status (they called ahead because of the shower issue) but I was able to use my Priority Pass to get in.

This is a rare place where United has outdone AC!
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Are they still playing the lame music in the LHR MLL?
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:10 am

I wasn't impressed with the new T2 lounge. Having 'shared' bottles of some soft drinks felt like an outbreak waiting to happen if someone reuses their glass! It feels like it was laid out by the same people who did the awful weird new lounge at YYZ, lots of wasted space, and bizarrely massive, yet super-low and uncomfortable, chairs. Preferred the T3 one.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:12 am
Suspended

The PDF's for Terminal 2 come out as if there are layers missing.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin.../heathrow.html

No text, looks like a half-baked drawing, running on Acrobat Reader on PC.

Oh, wait. it looks like a graphic designer was trying to be clever. Clever doesn't work after an overnight flight.

Originally Posted by Michael Slavitch
The PDF's for Terminal 2 come out as if there are layers missing.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin.../heathrow.html

No text, looks like a half-baked drawing, running on Acrobat Reader on PC.

Last edited by tcook052; Nov 24, 2014 at 1:24 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.