Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flights to cape town from yyz

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2013, 4:32 pm

Programs: AC 100K, AC 2MM, SAS Diamond, AA P; Avis CM
There is really no easy/fast way to do it. The fastest option is actually a 6:40 dep AA YYZ -JFK connect to SAA JFK - JNB (total time 20 hours 20 min gate to gate); the return can be done all *A SAA & AC with a 3-4 hour wait at JFK. This is a very popular route as a gateway to africa; business is often sold out.

My preference is AC YYZ-LHR; SAA LHR-JNB and take a day room at LHR. It's longer but the whole thing less stressful. The return is fast with a 2 hr wait at LHR.

Other *A options are AC YYZ-GRU/SAA GRU-JNB but there is 4-5 wait in GRU on the return; AC-LH via FRA or AC-SWISS via ZUR; or ET through ADD (although that does not go daily from YYZ).

I would book SAA on the international legs in and out of JNB, as it's easier to in-line bags and there are no hassles with weight/number if you end up on an Airlink or Express flight to CPT. Also, if you're looking for mileage, check the class carefully. SAA is tight with it on discount fares.
Old May 24, 2013, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I think SAA also flies from EZE so that's another possibility.
Old May 24, 2013, 8:16 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
I've done IAD-JNB, FRA-CPT and JFK-JNB-CPT from YYZ. JFK was by far the best, FRA the worst. Couldn't get cpmfortable in the LH J seats. Long layonver in FRA on the way there too. When I went JFK it was in January, so I went to JFK on the last flight of the night and stayed in an airport hotel. Worried about weather.
Old May 24, 2013, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by YYZHRE

My preference is AC YYZ-LHR; SAA LHR-JNB and take a day room at LHR. It's longer but the whole thing less stressful. The return is fast with a 2 hr wait at LHR.
The day room is a great idea. We just did it in January. Since we were taking advantage of the <$500ish RT WAS-JNB FD fares in Y for a quick 10 day vacation, it was perfect to break up the long trip and catch up on sleep. Took the free bus to the IBIS... 29GBP for the day (and one of the few hotels that allows 8am checkin). Room was certainly not the Hyatt, but very sufficient for the day's stay.
Old May 24, 2013, 10:28 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
My tip of advice:

Go to http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ and run a search through the Flight Matrix (it is done by Google)

Phone the carrier and book the fare you want.

Flight matrix is probably the best flight search engine ever. You can customize it to say "AC+" and find the best flights / best routes.
Old May 25, 2013, 11:06 am

Programs: AC SE
Be careful on fare codes on SAA

For Aeroplan accrual:

First
F, A, P
150%

Business
C, D, J, Z
125%

Economy
Y, B, M, K, H, S, Q
100%

T, V, L, W, G
50%
Old May 25, 2013, 1:50 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by jmolony
For Aeroplan accrual:

First
F, A, P
150%

Business
C, D, J, Z
125%

Economy
Y, B, M, K, H, S, Q
100%

T, V, L, W, G
50%
Also may take a long time to post and a high number need to be claimed as missing credits!
Old May 25, 2013, 3:30 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
Flights to cape town from yyz

And check here for mileage accrual on AC codeshare flights operated by SAA:

http://www.aircanada.com/shared/en/common/flights/pop_aeroplanmileage_sa.html

Although not explicitely outlined, J C D Z will earn 25% COS bonus on top.
Old May 26, 2013, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Fares from YYZ:
LH,AC,LX,UA - fare basis KLXRCT40 between US$1403-1430 connecting via FRA or ZRH

LH & SA - KLXRCT40 & HSAOW US$1562

Based on mid Nov departure
Old May 26, 2013, 7:16 pm

Programs: AC SE
I believe K fares on LH earn no points!
Old May 27, 2013, 12:08 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum
If you have access to Air Canada's business site you can find flights there. Not sure why they show up there and not on the regular aircanada.com but that's how I got my flight to Cape Town. Then once getting the ticket number I just called up SAA and selected seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.