Search

AC to MEL ?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2013, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
AC to MEL ?

I noticed a strange sight as I was getting off my QF flight at MEL today that there was a AC 77L parked at the international gate.

Was the SYD flight diverted here? Or is AC planning something we don't know about?
Old May 12, 2013, 7:35 am

Programs: AC - SE100K
I had quick glance to Flightaware and the SYD website. Flightaware shows a flight MEL-SYD, but no diversion on 33, so not conclusive as to the cause. The SYD website is showing 34 as cancelled for May 12.

My guess would be a diversion. As much as I'd like a direct flight to MEL...
Old May 12, 2013, 7:40 am

Programs: *G
Diverted to MEL due heavy fog in SYD.

AC 34 today cancelled, operating as 2034 tomorrow along with the regular 34.
Old May 12, 2013, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So all passengers were offloaded in MEL and then transferred to domestic airlines to SYD? What about the crew? Will they take aircraft to SYD tomorrow to pick up passengers?

It was nice to see AC in MEL. I think they should restart the service here...

Similarly, I saw another AC aircraft on the tarmac in Singapore last month. And my mind was whizzing with anticipation until I realised that the aircraft was probably here on C checks..
Old May 12, 2013, 8:08 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fin 645
Diverted to MEL due heavy fog in SYD.

AC 34 today cancelled, operating as 2034 tomorrow along with the regular 34.
I couldn't figure out why even heavy fog would prevent landing for a modern 777, but this discussion http://www.australianfrequentflyer.com.au/community/your-questions/perth-airport-is-rated-autoland-18859.html
seems to knowledgeably explain why autoland is not certified for use in Australia. Interesting.
Old May 12, 2013, 8:20 am

Programs: QF, VN, SQ, SPG, IHG PG
AC 33 landed in MEL at 9:52 and didn't depart until around 16:45, I hope the MEL bound pax were allowed to collect their bags and simply leave, it would have been their lucky day to be able to fly YVR-MEL direct!

I think AC is considering MEL when the 787's arrive, I'm sure many will be pleased.
Old May 12, 2013, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by soorox
AC 33 landed in MEL at 9:52 and didn't depart until around 16:45, I hope the MEL bound pax were allowed to collect their bags and simply leave, it would have been their lucky day to be able to fly YVR-MEL direct!

I think AC is considering MEL when the 787's arrive, I'm sure many will be pleased.
Well, when I arrived at 1530, the aircraft was just silently sitting on the tarmac. There were no trucks around it. So I am sure everyone would have had left the aircraft and probably transferred to domestic services.

My flight from SYD was at 1400 and I didn't know about the delays that the fog caused till I got in to MEL in the afternoon.
Old May 12, 2013, 10:21 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by canopus27
I couldn't figure out why even heavy fog would prevent landing for a modern 777, but this discussion http://www.australianfrequentflyer.com.au/community/your-questions/perth-airport-is-rated-autoland-18859.html
seems to knowledgeably explain why autoland is not certified for use in Australia. Interesting.
Looking at the arrival info on the SYD website for Sunday morning, it did appear to me that some aircraft did land in the time frame that AC 33 would have arrived, but I am sure fuel reserves (or lack thereof after the flight from YVR) likely made the decision.

The aircraft did fly from MEL to SYD later in the afternoon (as AC 33, not as a ferry flight per se). I suspect that they may have flown the crew from the cancelled AC 34 to MEL to operate it.

Another fallout of this is that a couple of YVR/YYZ 33/34 flights are being operated by 763s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.