Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Stolen" eUpgrades...Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2013, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

"Stolen" eUpgrades...Need Advice

Just joined flyertalk and this is my first ever post! What drove me to join the forum you ask?

I have been an AC Aeroplan member since the 1980s and have Elite status for the last 4-5 years running, currently at the 50K level. I travel on biz a lot and with family regularly as well.

Took a fam trip to BCN on AC for March Break - YYZ-BCN, March 8th red-eye. Had enough eUpgrades for 2 of us (having just forfeited 40+ from 2012, but I digress). Per usual, was waitlisted for the upgrade. At YYZ check-in we were still waitlisted and were told to listen for our names at the gate just in case. At the gate, the agent indeed called us up but said that there was only one seat, did we want it? We did and my spouse graciously stayed in economy with our 2 kids. All good, except AC claims we both got upgraded and won't return the 14 eUpgrades. I have sent emails to Customer Service and after much delay and a number of back and forths, I got back a kurt reply saying their records indicated otherwise and there was nothing they could do. Unfort, I can't find all of our boarding passes (chuck them after confirming miles have been credited). So I sent another compliant via their on-line service (including a sugggestion to speak to the agent on duty at the gate), but it seems to have gone to the same person in Customer Service and she again shut us down saying the matter is closed as far as they are concerned. If I were them, I would want to know who in fact sat in seat 5G on this flight 'cause it sure as heck wasn't us.

My biggest point is that we are effectively being told that we are liars and that we are trying to scam them. In the scheme of things for us, 14 eUpgrades are not that much!!! and I've spent more time on the issue than is worth it, but the principal of it all has caused me to keep it going (not to mention the theaputical benefits).

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome!
Old May 5, 2013, 12:37 pm

Programs: AC-SEMM, AA-Gold
Try ACTT on twitter
Old May 5, 2013, 3:03 pm
Suspended

Do you have your boarding passes?
Old May 5, 2013, 3:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CCwannabe
My biggest point is that we are effectively being told that we are liars and that we are trying to scam them.
While I definitely sympathize with you, I would guess that passengers try to scam AC a lot more than some glitch like this occurs.

I'm not sure that having your boarding pass would even help much. If I OLCI, I can print out a bunch, and then trade one in for an upgraded J pass. I'd still have the Y BP, even though I sat in J.
Old May 5, 2013, 4:14 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Welcome to Fyler talk, well your situation simply sucks. Can AC tell you what seat your wife was in and what seat was sitting in Y where your wife was with the kids. The boarding passes don’t mean much as Canadian cow has already mentioned you can carry multiple boarding passes, I always do as back up as I like to mess with CATSA and TSA.

I would not give up. Make them prove to you where she sat and prove that she was not upgraded. It becomes a she said and he said, and does AC want to officially call you a liar.

Best of luck to you
Old May 5, 2013, 5:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. Stop "writing" to AC in any way, shape or form. Every word you have sent and has been sent to you is all in the record of this complaint and the complaint has been decided and from your perspective, the wrong way.

2. Call AC. Write out a script. Do not use more than 3 sentences to get to the point. All the CSR needs is the PNR, the fact that you "paid" for 2 UG's, got 1 and can't get the balance refunded. Then, ask for help.

3. AC holds all the cards here. You can't "force" AC to prove anything and the realm of the possible has to be reasonable and something the CSR is willing to undertake. By way of example, talking to the GA was never going to happen and, even if it had, the GA most likely didn't remember the incident 10 minutes after it happened.

Maybe it's possible to look at the cabin manifest for the flight (despite the passage of time) and to see that your spouse didn't get the UG. But, rather than proposing things, you simply ought to ask for help. If you get someone helpful maybe there's something to be done.

I have no idea about the tenor of your written communications with AC, but I would advise strongly against the use of terms such as "stolen" in writing or orally. You need to enlist someone's help here or you will be SOL. Do all of this knowing that there are likely a bunch of these requests every day and that in the others, it's a scam.
Old May 5, 2013, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
The boarding passes don’t mean much as Canadian cow has already mentioned you can carry multiple boarding passes, I always do as back up as I like to mess with CATSA and TSA.
What's that supposed to mean? How much messing can you do to them?

---

To the OP, can you ask AC where your wife apparently sat in J and who sat in her Y seat?
Old May 5, 2013, 8:56 pm
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Originally Posted by CCwannabe
My biggest point is that we are effectively being told that we are liars and that we are trying to scam them.
While I definitely sympathize with you, I would guess that passengers try to scam AC a lot more than some glitch like this occurs.

I'm not sure that having your boarding pass would even help much. If I OLCI, I can print out a bunch, and then trade one in for an upgraded J pass. I'd still have the Y BP, even though I sat in J.
Given how frequently "glitches like this" occur at AC I rather think the reverse is true.
Old May 5, 2013, 8:58 pm
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

The real problem of course is that Air Canada dug in their heals and decided it was not their fault long before this situation even occurred.
Old May 5, 2013, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
1. Stop "writing" to AC in any way, shape or form. Every word you have sent and has been sent to you is all in the record of this complaint and the complaint has been decided and from your perspective, the wrong way.

2. Call AC. Write out a script. Do not use more than 3 sentences to get to the point. All the CSR needs is the PNR, the fact that you "paid" for 2 UG's, got 1 and can't get the balance refunded. Then, ask for help.

3. AC holds all the cards here. You can't "force" AC to prove anything and the realm of the possible has to be reasonable and something the CSR is willing to undertake. By way of example, talking to the GA was never going to happen and, even if it had, the GA most likely didn't remember the incident 10 minutes after it happened.

Maybe it's possible to look at the cabin manifest for the flight (despite the passage of time) and to see that your spouse didn't get the UG. But, rather than proposing things, you simply ought to ask for help. If you get someone helpful maybe there's something to be done.

I have no idea about the tenor of your written communications with AC, but I would advise strongly against the use of terms such as "stolen" in writing or orally. You need to enlist someone's help here or you will be SOL. Do all of this knowing that there are likely a bunch of these requests every day and that in the others, it's a scam.
You Funny! hahaha.. Like AC will change anything. Tenor ha, you can be as polite as a nun in sunday prayers and you are sunk.

to the orginal poster, take my word for it you have about 1 in 100 chance of seeing anything from AC. maybe less
Old May 5, 2013, 10:17 pm

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
OP just be careful. They might just take away more credits out of spite.
Old May 5, 2013, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Wow, you've all been very helpful. Thank you. Started with twitter, so far they responded they looked into and said what the CSR said, per their records 2nd UG was to 5G. Have gone back with the counterpoint and am waiting. Will try the manifest angle next, with a live person (I had asked them to call me to discuss but they declined saying "it wouldn't change" their decision. Feels like a lost cause but I can't bring myself to give up when I'm so in the right. I can't believe they would dig in for something that doesn't even cost them. Will keep u posted.
Old May 5, 2013, 11:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Sorry to hear about your frustrating experience, it makes me feel for you. There are some numbskulls in AC Customer Relations/Solutions/Service in YYC, trust me.

I agree with the others...AC TT will likely not assist further, nor will the regular email address, so stop interacting with the, IMHO.

I am sending you an email address via PM that may be able to provide you with a satistactory reply.

I would be succinct in my email to this office but indicate that you are well aware where you sat and you are also well aware where your SO and kids sat. 1J, 3Y, period and seat assignments would help in this case. They DO have the tools to get to the bottom of this.

Good luck!
Old May 6, 2013, 12:00 am

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold, UA MP
I agree with the experts above. Ask them to check the flight manifest to see where exactly you're seated. If you remember the names of the GA who offered the upgrade or the SD on that flight that would help too, but yeah it's gonna be a tough one.

FYI, I now keep all my original or PDF of printed BP for mileage accumulation until they're posted, just in case.
Old May 6, 2013, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
This kind of thing used to be a big problem at the former Continental. On the FT boreds, it was referred to as "shenanigans." Rogue gate agents would hold upgrades for friends or colleagues that should have been given to paying passengers.

I don't fly AC as an elite (I still credit to UA), so don't know much about this. On UA we have an app that displays the upgrade list, so you could check to see who's upgraded. If you find your name on there and someone in your seat, you know there's something fishy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.