Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
General WiFi Tidbits
  • WiFi is managed by "WiFi Onboard", formerly known as "Gogo"
  • If you have a pass from WiFi OnBoard for their entire fleet that will generally work
  • You can redeem Aeroplan points for various packages ranging from one hour to the entire flight and at different speeds
  • Only one device at a time can use the plan. Once you log in with another device with your WiFi Onboard or Aeroplan account the other device will drop
  • Rouge J customers are now getting a one-time WiFi Onboard code for free WiFi on the flight instead of getting an iPad

Detailed WiFi roll-out info compiled by FTers:

Planes with WiFi (confirmed by FTers):
  • GoGo 2Ku satellite-based system (fast, large coverage area, including over water - coverage map):
    • 319 (rouge)
    • 320 (rouge)
    • 321 (rouge)
    • 333 (except 946 and 948)
    • 789 (except 860)
    • 77L
    • 77W
  • Gogo ATG system (old, slow, only works over land in North America, and not very far north - coverage map)
    • CR9: 701-721, 780-784 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
    • E75
    • 319 (mainline)
    • 320 (mainline)
    • 321 (mainline)

Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • CR9: 722-730 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
  • 7M8: all (AC had an embarrassing escapade with a Thales system that was completely inadequate. As of March 2023, they appear to have given up on this system. What they plan to replace it with is uncertain)
  • 789: 860
  • 333: 946, 948

Planes with no plans to install WiFi:
  • DH4s
  • CRJs

Air Canada Status WiFi Benefit
  • The benefit lasts for 12 months from the date of activation, which is the first date you sign into Gogo on an AC flight using your Aeroplan account. Date of benefit selection is irrelevant. It must be activated by the end of the calendar year.
  • Benefit currently works on all aircraft with WiFi, except possibly rouge. Some rouge aircraft have reported having access to the Aeroplan sign in which was required for the Aeroplan benefit to work. It's unknown whether the benefit will be extended to those fleets in the future.
  • The benefit says you can have up to 5 users but that is five unique devices in a one month period and not simultaneous usage. You will need to log off one device to use another device on the same flight. GoGo will apparently block if it sees too many devices in a one month period to avoid credential sharing.
  • There are huge problems with the Aeroplan login for this benefit. There is a high likelihood that you will need to attempt to log in numerous times for it to work, and it may not work at all. Chatting with WiFi Onboard support should get you a one-time code for free WiFi for the flight.
Print Wikipost

On-Board WIFI (2013-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:46 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Not less reliable, just unverified.

But yes, you can unbold it.
Wiki has been updated and this point has been clarified.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
On that note, I can verify 837, so I unbolded it.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:39 am

Just boarded AC002 fin 735 and no wifi again? What is going on???
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by shaibu
Just boarded AC002 fin 735 and no wifi again? What is going on???
1. What is "no wifi"? The network's not visible? You can't connect? You can't sign in?
2. 90% of the time, I can't see the network until well after boarding ends.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
1. What is "no wifi"? The network's not visible? You can't connect? You can't sign in?
2. 90% of the time, I can't see the network until well after boarding ends.
Isn't the wifi turned on after passing through 10,000ft on the climb and turned off once wheels are on the ground when landing?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
Isn't the wifi turned on after passing through 10,000ft on the climb and turned off once wheels are on the ground when landing?
On the ATG system, definitely.

On the satellite system, I've had mixed experiences. Sometimes it works during boarding, sometimes not until pushback, and sometimes not until 10k-ish feet.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:20 pm

could connect to the wifi, but not the internet. Pushed back and they said it was broken. checked a few times during the flight and no internet. fin 735 internet broken
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:40 pm

On the ATG system, definitely.

On the satellite system, I've had mixed experiences. Sometimes it works during boarding, sometimes not until pushback, and sometimes not until 10k-ish feet.
Interesting...I've only used it for TPAC or Polar flights and didn't know the difference in usability between ground-based and satellite-based wifi.

Though having to store everything away before take-off renders the opportunity to use it on the ground rather pointless.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:18 am

Confirming that FIN 705 has working wifi based on my flights on March 01 and 07.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:51 pm

I can attest that 854 still has no wifi.

My aircraft changed within 24 hours of departure from one with wifi to one without. I was quite disappointed.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 3:05 am

WiFi on 735 was "temporarily unavailable" the whole flight. SD knew in advance it would not be working.

Gogo and AC are about to get an email from me.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:07 am

Gogo's support is so entirely useless... They said the 77W I was just on was not equipped with their service. Every 77W is equipped. And I was connected to the network.

So according to Gogo, AC is falsely advertising the availability of wifi.

They offered me a free coupon code for wifi, expiring in 6 months. What a great offer to someone with an unlimited pass.

Since taking the Altitude offer for free wifi, I've had more flights equipped with non-working wifi than flights equipped with working wifi.

I know the stats on which aircraft have it and which don't, but the ones that have it don't even seem to be working.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 3:47 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
cow, I wonder whether it may be worth reaching out to AC? They're the ones who "sold" you the unlimited pass that you're getting such poor value for. I wonder whether you might be able to get some extra Aeroplan miles out of them or something.

I have found Gogo customer service to be allergic to giving out any kind of compensation except free future WiFi, and that's without ever having any kind of time-based pass (e.g. monthly unlimited) - always having a direct line between I paid $X for WiFi on Y flight and the WiFi didn't work, or only worked for half the flight, or whatever. I'm not sure I've ever gotten a refund, maybe once at most.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
cow, I wonder whether it may be worth reaching out to AC? They're the ones who "sold" you the unlimited pass that you're getting such poor value for. I wonder whether you might be able to get some extra Aeroplan miles out of them or something.

I have found Gogo customer service to be allergic to giving out any kind of compensation except free future WiFi, and that's without ever having any kind of time-based pass (e.g. monthly unlimited) - always having a direct line between I paid $X for WiFi on Y flight and the WiFi didn't work, or only worked for half the flight, or whatever. I'm not sure I've ever gotten a refund, maybe once at most.
I sent a note to AC.

I'm fine with a free day-pass (I think they usually give me a code that works for that) if my paid wifi doesn't work on a flight. However, it's useless when you have unlimited.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:47 am

Ugh 832 just became 853 for me today

At least my current 77W has functioning wifi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.