Wiki Posts
Search

Reasons for an OpUp

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2013, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SEMM
Reasons for an OpUp

I was flying last night on AC626 which is the last flight out of YYZ for YHZ. Often late and often not full.

Yesterday, it was an E190 and was on time. I was flying on a reward ticket. I was called to the gate and given an Op Up which was very nice. However, the plan was only not full (about 70 on board) and my original seat 13A and the seat beside it remained empty.

With me, there were 4 individuals in J cabin.

Any thoughts on why I got the upgrade?
Old Mar 13, 2013, 6:35 pm

Programs: Recovering long-time AC SE100K (currently E50K), Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
The reason could be aircraft weight balance. (Lucky you, BTW!)
Old Mar 13, 2013, 6:37 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Usually op-ups are given when the Y cabin is oversold and they need to free up seats (and they don't have enough deadheading crew to fill the J seats ). They generally move crew, SEs and Es, in that order.

In your case it sounds like you got lucky. With a partial load possibly they were rebalancing the load. It happens occasionally, especially on the smaller a/c.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 7:37 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyer
The reason could be aircraft weight balance. (Lucky you, BTW!)
Yes, likely a weight and balance issue - happened to me once on an E jet (and ML*1 was in force - no food, period).
Old Mar 13, 2013, 7:41 pm

OP--maybe it was because you are SE
Old Mar 13, 2013, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Sopwith
Usually op-ups are given when the Y cabin is oversold and they need to free up seats (and they don't have enough deadheading crew to fill the J seats ). They generally move crew, SEs and Es, in that order.
The crew is already sitting up front way before it gets to the time for op-ups, at least on YYZ-YOW runs.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 11:29 pm

Programs: AC 100K, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Marriott/SPG (Bonvoy?) Gold Elite/HHonors Gold
For the flight crew (pilots), a deadhead in J is a contractual thing but is guaranteed or space available depending on rank.

But obviously, Anyone on an e-upgrade goes before someone on a space available upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.