Community
Wiki Posts
Search

wailing, unattended infants in EF

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:01 am

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
Originally Posted by canolakid
I do note that they did hold the thing during take off and landing- except when they were passing it back and forth during descent...
Unfortunately your flight experience was marred by a disagreable situation that arose from the selfish attitude of the parents. I hope that you will take the FAs' advice and submit a written complaint to AC.

I also hope that you will choose better language when you write your complaint letter.

"The thing", "it" ? Seriously ? You can probably do better than that.......
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

one in arms one in diapers one with shoes. the baby was not restrained- ever- and was dumped in a/its pod to sleep... when I asked how they got so many pods for the little ones, one FA said 'their company pays for it'.
So are you saying AC let them take an infant in a pod even though it is against their policy?

That would be a very clear cut case for a complaint. Even likely against TC rules.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Stranger
So are you saying AC let them take an infant in a pod even though it is against their policy?

That would be a very clear cut case for a complaint. Even likely against TC rules.
now I am getting confused- so not only is wailing unattended infant bad ton, it may be a TC issue? since there shouldn't have been an infant in EF at all?
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

now I am getting confused- so not only is wailing unattended infant bad ton, it may be a TC issue? since there shouldn't have been an infant in EF at all?
See the link to ac.com that someone posted in this thread, above.

"Whenever the seat belt sign is on:

An infant seated on a parent's lap must be held securely;
An infant for whom a seat is purchased must be properly secured in an approved child restraint device (see ‘Child restraint policy' below)."

and

"Child restraint devices are not permitted in the Executive First Suites at any time."

Which seems to leave the door open for a lap infant in EF. But you seemed to indicate all children had their own seat?
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:40 am

one in arms one in diapers one with shoes. the baby was not restrained- ever- and was dumped in a/its pod to sleep... when I asked how they got so many pods for the little ones, one FA said 'their company pays for it'.
Just to clarify - the infant (aka in arm child) was laid on a seat unsecured? No car seat?

That has got to against some sort of transport rule/law. A child in a car must be restrained, but not in a plane?
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:42 am

Programs: AC UA TK FI DL
Perhaps the parents are AC Senior Execs?
Hence a blatant disregard and contempt for AC customers? ie. Don't like the way we do things? Fly some other airline then!
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mromalley
Just to clarify - the infant (aka in arm child) was laid on a seat unsecured? No car seat?

That has got to against some sort of transport rule/law. A child in a car must be restrained, but not in a plane?

Infant in own seat not allowed in Exec First apparently. Not with seat, not without. Possibly on parent's lap yes, not sure.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:56 am

Infant in own seat not allowed in Exec First apparently. Not with seat, not without. Possibly on parent's lap yes, not sure.
IMO - I would highlight in your letter (canolakid, not you Stranger) that AC was in violation of their own policy. And the safety aspects of an infant being unsecured, even if it were with a lap belt. If the plane had hit turbulance, the child could have been injured and what would AC's liabilty be if that happened.

This should have been addressed before the family even made it on to the plane.

Last edited by mromalley; Mar 12, 2013 at 12:38 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:21 pm

Programs: AC SE
Infant as lap child is allowed in Exec First. 100 % certain.

Infant (as defined as child under two years old) can't ever be left alone in an EF seat because an infant must be seated either on an adult or in a approved child restraint. Approved child restraints are not permitted in EF suites because of the airbag on the seatbelt.

If the OP is correct, leaving an infant, alone in a EF seat is a violation of AC policy and TC rules as well.

The other rules worth noting is in EF, a child age 2 to 5 must be seated directly in front of the accompanying adult.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:36 pm

I am surprised at the OP's experience--how could AC allow infants to occupy J seats without child restraints? Do parents have no responsibility for their child's discomfort ( usually why infants cry)? I have had to spend 80% of a flight in the bathroom holding and comforting my child as I did not want other passengers to be disturbed. ( yes that was years ago and in Y class!!)
I have come across parents who think an 8 year old kicking my seat back is a great sport until I got up, faced the child and told him to stop it. My voice was loud enough so it worked and others heard ( FA was not doing anything). Parents were quiet during the interaction. So passengers still have a role to play but perhaps only after the FAs have tried to intervene.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by ac777
Do parents have no responsibility for their child's discomfort ( usually why infants cry)?
The fact the parents simply put on noise cancelling headphones and ignored the baby makes me wonder if it was collicky - in which case it would not have been in pain although other's ears would be.

Unfortunately there isn't much the parents (or anyone else) can do about colic other than let it run its course. Having said that, as a parent, I could not imagine subjecting an intercontinental flight to a collicky baby (especially booking J).
Old Mar 12, 2013, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On a recent YYZ/YVR flight, there was a single mother with an 18 month old travelling in J (pods). She held him in arms on take-off but laid him on a flat pod while he slept. The mother had her breakfast in empty pod behind me while the 18 month old slept. We were all happy that the little one went for an extended nap. The family had connected from an overnight flight from Brazil and the mom was exhausted.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 1:52 pm

Programs: AC SE
See the link to ac.com that someone posted in this thread, above.

"Whenever the seat belt sign is on:

An infant seated on a parent's lap must be held securely;
An infant for whom a seat is purchased must be properly secured in an approved child restraint device (see ‘Child restraint policy' below)."

and

"Child restraint devices are not permitted in the Executive First Suites at any time."

Which seems to leave the door open for a lap infant in EF. But you seemed to indicate all children had their own seat?
OP said the infant was held for take-off & landing, i.e. when seat belt sign is on. Do the T&C prevent AC from accepting full J fare for a seat which is not used when the seat belt sign is on and which has no associated costs to AC (no food, no drink)?

Having said that, as a parent who has spent the whole of a YYC-LHR trip (except take off and landing) walking up and down with carrying a 9 month old to keep them quiet, the parents attitude sucks...
Old Mar 12, 2013, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by KathrynInCanada
I was part of a J cabin that worked together with a single parent so we could all get sleep/quiet on YYZ-HKG. We took turns walking the crying infant so that the father could rest while the preschooler slept. One of the passengers succeeded in getting the baby to sleep so settled into his suite, still holding the baby until the father awoke. (This was just one leg of a very long day for the father so he needed to rest and was obviously beyond being able to relax enough himself, to let the baby relax to go to sleep.) Three pax and crew worked together to help. You see, if the baby was crying, I knew I couldn't rest at all, so therefore, it was in my best interests to help the parent, rather than stew in my seat.
It's nice to see the village can still help to raise a child.

Originally Posted by ac777
I have come across parents who think an 8 year old kicking my seat back is a great sport until I got up, faced the child and told him to stop it.
If the kid was in a pod, this wouldn't have happened.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 10:02 pm

Programs: MP 1K,
Originally Posted by tracon
It's nice to see the village can still help to raise a child.

If the kid was in a pod, this wouldn't have happened.

^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.