Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC/AP FF thoughts on the AA/USAir merger?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2013, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP - Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium and lifetime PLT

I am interested in hearing thoughts from my any FTers here on this merger...as a disclaimer, I am a long time EXP on AA and switched to AC for ~18 months and was SE. The AP SE program (for me) did not compare favourably to American's and I switched back.

Specifically, what do you think will happen to the advantage program? and do you think AA flights will expand or decrease from YYZ and YVR? Defections from AA to AC?

Curious if there is any interest and thoughts on the subject?

Old Feb 15, 2013, 6:41 am

Programs: dDiamond, A50K*G, AA Gold, Fairmont Plat, AMEX Plat, SPG Gold, Avis First
Curious as to why you feel AA program was better than AC? I was a long time FF on AA as well but I found soft and hard product, especially in J to be awful (I'm talking specific to North American/Central/South American routes). I do miss the little theme song AA plays before take off - always helped me to sleep. I don't miss their lack of in-seat entertainment/tvs!!

In relation to your question - I was hoping the combined airline would keep US Air's participation in Star Alliance but alas my pipe dream fell through. Wishful thinking!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 6:48 am

Even though I very rarely have used either US Air or American, I would hope that that by creating a stronger competitor to *A, the merger will push AC and other *A carriers to be more competitive themselves. How this might translate to changes to any of FF programs including AAs is anyone's guess. Probably few changes on the short term.

I could imagine the new AA increasing their cross-boarder schedules and coordinating that with WestJet to try and break the almost monopoly *A has in Canada, and get some of overseas long haul business that they surely must be loosing from Canadian customers because of relatively fewer connections to their hubs in the US.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 9:14 am

I'm *G, MPC Gold (thx to AMEX), I just hope for more competitions from AA at YYZ, or even YKF-ORD (Kitchener-Waterloo) to connect internationally

just so that I can redeem BA Avios on AA
Old Feb 15, 2013, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Will be sorry to lose US Air lounge access in BUF.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by margarita girl
This is a big one for me. I also don't know whether or not to go with Priority Pass or Amex Plat. Either will get you into the BUF lounge now, but PP typically doesn't work with OW lounges.

I think I'm going to stick with Star for 2013... I survived the UA/CO merger in 2012 and I'm not keen on doing THAT again. I'll probably move my travel to OW in 2014 or well after the programs merge.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 9:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
The places I need to go on a regular basis are YYC, NYC (preferably EWR), WAS (preferably DCA), SFO, TPE and SIN. The places I like to go on holiday are PHX, BKK, SEL and LON. The combination of UA's TB/TPAC presence as well as US's DCA and PHX operations has worked pretty well for me. As a US FF now (SE expires in two weeks) and with US heading over to OW, I might have to do the unthinkable and switch back to UA or AC.

I think AA will continue to divest it's low-yield western Canada routes like YYC/YVR-DFW to WS and after the merger I wouldn't be surprised to see YYC/YVR/YEG-PHX being eventually given to WS. If WS deepen their partnership with DL as well, (thus becoming an amateurish LCC version of AS) they would end up as a serious competitor with AC on TB/international flights.

If I lived in YYZ, I'd give the new AA a chance but I split my time between EWR and YYC... *A strongholds.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 9:36 am

Programs: AC*SE100K
Originally Posted by Santander
I think AA will continue to divest it's low-yield western Canada routes like YYC/YVR-DFW to WS and after the merger I wouldn't be surprised to see YYC/YVR/YEG-PHX being eventually given to WS.
You're right about that as WJ just announced the YYC-DFW seasonal service for this summer, probably testing the waters. American has twice daily on that route.

I will miss the US YYC-PHX flight which allowed me to connect to KOA and SLC. This pushes more traffic to YYC-SFO/LAX/DEN for *A cross-border stuff.

The non-stop *A YYC-PHX takes a huge hit.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:52 am

Programs: AC*E50, Marriott Gold, Hilton Honors Silver, Enterprise+
I'm kinda bummed that US will leave *A. I fly a lot up and down the east coast so on US metal to accumulate AE points. Once US leaves *A, will have to look elsewhere...
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:13 am

Programs: dDiamond, A50K*G, AA Gold, Fairmont Plat, AMEX Plat, SPG Gold, Avis First
Amex plat will get you into US Air, Delta, AA lounges IF you are flying their metal same day. (at least for now!...)
Old Feb 15, 2013, 2:09 pm

Programs: AC*S100K
Being YOW-based, US was a frequent choice to get to SFO. Because there are no direct flights from YOW to anywhere in California, I'm usually connecting on UA through ORD or AC through YYZ. Connecting through the US hub in PHL was often a viable option, and collecting 100% status miles on any fare I ever booked didn't hurt. I will be sorry to see this choice go away. oneworld is not a viable option in YOW, and I can't see UA or AC suddenly becoming more competitive when US exits the Star Alliance.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 5:42 pm

Programs: IC - RA, AC - SE 1MM
I am sad to see US Airways leave Star A

They are awful, but they have great times for same day trip between YYC and PHX.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 6:19 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I agree. It will also make it tougher to travel up and down the east coast with *A.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 6:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
I willl miss their logo, I liked it and am still lukewarm to the new AA branding.
I will miss the easy flight times YYC-PHX and onwards in the US Southwest and Mexico City.
I will not miss when I am advised by Aeroplan that the US front cabin is worth an F/O award and not a C/I award which is laughable. Their service up front is a joke within NA and someone is on crack is they think its better than UA or AC. Except Mr Parker, of course.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 9:57 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
I just don't like loosing another choice, as US was a great airline for my rewards and milage runs out of YOW. Flew these guys out of PHX and LAS so it will be felt! one more less choice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.