Wiki Posts
Search

YVR Spring mini-DO queries

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2013, 7:52 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

So after a very pleasant dinner and the fun of meeting other FFers at last week's YVR-DO, I got to thinking. One thing I thought about was that the configuration of the dinner tables precluded much interaction between people who were not seated together. (I presume it was better at the Irish Prostitute or whatever it was called, but having been up since 2am I had to bail.)

Anyways, I was thinking about organizing a DO for some time in the spring, and likely in a more open format. But I have some questions before proceeding down that path:

1. how do people feel about meeting on a Saturday or Sunday?
2. how do people feel about meeting in the afternoon, instead of for dinner and/or evenings?
3. how do people feel about meeting somewhere like Granville Island, or maybe Stanley Park?
4. how do people feel about a requirement to arrive by a very specific time?

All comments welcomed.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 8:45 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make the last YVR Do in the end.

I'd still like to make the "next" one so here's what I think:
1) Depends on the time
2) Probably better in the afternoon
3) I prefer somewhere with PLENTY of free parking. Granville Island doesn't fit into that category and Stanley Park on the weekend probably doesn't either.
4) Not sure about that, unless there's a very specific reason
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
1) More convenient for me as I'd come in from YYZ.
2) More convenient for me as I'd come in from YYZ.
3) As long as the taxi driver can find it, I'm good.
4) Depends on why we need to be there by that time.

For the record, I asked YVR if we could arrange a behind the scenes tour for a bunch of folks who really like all aspects of flying. Their reply was quite disappointing - they only do visits for kids in Grade 5 and have no ability to accommodate other groups.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:27 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I wasn't able to make the last YVR Do either, so would be interested if there were another one!

1) Saturday/Sunday is fine.
2) For a weekend, afternoon is preferable. Otherwise, I would normally prefer dinner/evenings on weekdays.
3) I like the idea of an outdoorsy place like Granville Island/Stanley Park, but Braindrain is correct in that parking is expensive and a PITA. If the intention was an outdoorsy place/park, maybe Jericho/Locarno/QE Park?
4) I think it's less important to arrive by a specific time if we're doing an outdoor thing. Dinner may be more important for reservations and food, but if it's a weekend afternoon, I think it'd be okay to be casual (unless there's a reason, like the others have mentioned).

RCyyz - I enjoyed that YVR tour in grade 5 =) All I really remember is that we spent a long time walking around an empty Air Canada hanger though....
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:48 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
1. Okay.
2. Okay.
3. Not so much. I avoid crowded places when I can. Somewhere like the Flying Beaver would suit me (10 min from home ), but basically anywhere the majority prefers is okay.
4. Probably easier to coordinate: start at xx:00 and run for at least 2 (?) hours, so people can come and go on their schedule?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 6:21 am

Just tell then your grade 5 travellers
Old Jan 16, 2013, 2:37 pm

Tours are cool! Weekends work better for me! I wanted to come this time but couldn't.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 3:06 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by RCyyz
For the record, I asked YVR if we could arrange a behind the scenes tour for a bunch of folks who really like all aspects of flying. Their reply was quite disappointing - they only do visits for kids in Grade 5 and have no ability to accommodate other groups.
I have a Grade 5'er in my household. How many chaperones is she allowed to bring and does it matter if she doesn't know of any of them
Old Jan 16, 2013, 3:07 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus, Global Entry
To answer Ken's questions, weekend can work for me, pretty open on venue as well. Being punctual is habit of mine so being there for a certain time is easy.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by KenHamer
So after a very pleasant dinner and the fun of meeting other FFers at last week's YVR-DO, I got to thinking. One thing I thought about was that the configuration of the dinner tables precluded much interaction between people who were not seated together. (I presume it was better at the Irish Prostitute or whatever it was called, but having been up since 2am I had to bail.)

Anyways, I was thinking about organizing a DO for some time in the spring, and likely in a more open format. But I have some questions before proceeding down that path:

1. how do people feel about meeting on a Saturday or Sunday?
2. how do people feel about meeting in the afternoon, instead of for dinner and/or evenings?
3. how do people feel about meeting somewhere like Granville Island, or maybe Stanley Park?
4. how do people feel about a requirement to arrive by a very specific time?

All comments welcomed.
1. Sunday
2. Afternoon
3. I guess so. Path of least resistance for me is Canada Line, but whatever, cabbing it ok too.
4. I'm ok with it but what if we happen to be late (i.e. flight delayed)?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 8:10 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
If I'm in the city I'm likely good for anything.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:05 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Ken
I too would have liked to attend the last YVR Do, but a quick trip to CES on the Thursday caused me to miss out.

1. If around, I can meet at anytime including Saturday or Sunday.
2. Anytime during the day is fine too. Could also be a brunch on the weekend.
3. Not being limited to public transport I can also meet virtually anywhere
4. I'd try to be on time too!

I am sure if you have a hand in the planning of the next do, then it will be some grand event at some unbelievable location!

Seriously though I will be traveling the last week of February, the middle two weeks in March and 2nd week in April. Remainder of the time I'll be home dealing with my new project.

AR
Old Jan 24, 2013, 4:08 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
1. Sunday
2. Afternoon
3. I guess so. Path of least resistance for me is Canada Line, but whatever, cabbing it ok too.
4. I'm ok with it but what if we happen to be late (i.e. flight delayed)?
Pirate's Code.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 4:09 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Count me in.

I am open to anything.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 4:21 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I'm game for pretty much anything.

Weekends are hit and miss for me thanks to my kid's ski lessons in whistler so ill make it if and whenever the date is announced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.