Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Will AC F/A help put my carry-on bag in the overhead bin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2013, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC-SE, EK-G, GF-G

Hi FTers,

I really need your help on an upcoming trip. I will be traveling YYZ-YVR (hopefully in J, if my e-upgrade clears).

My doctors have advised that I can travel, but can't lift anything more than 10 pounds. I will have a small carry-on bag, will weigh approximately 15-18 pounds. I am wondering if the FA will kindly help to put my roller in the overhead bin before we take off, and take it for me out at the end of the flight. That's all the 'extra' help I really need from the FA.

Is it possible? Do I need to inform AC reservations in advance, the check-in agent, or the gate agent, or no one and just ask the FA when I board? Please advise.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 3:27 pm

Programs: Free Agent
is it not an option for you to put it under the seat in front of you or check it? relying on the kindness of others during busy boarding and deboarding may not be satisfactory for you.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 3:39 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
It is generally adviseable to be self sufficient. If you can pack more into your checked bag and keep your carryone to the "under the seat" size, it will be easier. I agree with canolakid - people can be downright cranky during the boarding/deboarding process.

In my experience, the odds of FA or passenger help increase if a) you're in J, b) your disability is "visible" c) you are a good looking woman or d) you are of grandmotherly age. YMMV
Old Jan 12, 2013, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canolakid
is it not an option for you to put it under the seat in front of you or check it? relying on the kindness of others during busy boarding and deboarding may not be satisfactory for you.
Thanks. Checking-in is not an option. Secondly, I will have two pieces (a computer bag, and a roller). As always, I will be putting the computer bag under my seat, but the roller will not fit in nicely. I really need to stretch my knees. What do you, and others, suggest?

Should I bring chocolates for the FA, or does it matter whether they or I are male or female?
Old Jan 12, 2013, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lostinthewash
c) you are a good looking woman YMMV
Please explain.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 3:52 pm

Programs: Nexus
Originally Posted by aircanada_loyal
Please explain.
I hope your question is a joke.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmgalan
I hope your question is a joke.
I would like to have some real answers to my question. Thanks very much!!

In addition, I am curious to know what other FTers think....how does it help if someone really needs a hand, and it happens to be a good looking woman...
Old Jan 12, 2013, 4:01 pm

Programs: Free Agent
In addition, I am curious to know what other FTers think......
If you are sincerely looking for help, we have provided it. Not sure why checking a heavy bag is not an option?? Of course, it may not be your preferred option...
Old Jan 12, 2013, 4:03 pm

Programs: AC, FPC, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, BW Diamond Select, Starbucks Gold, VPL
My experience

This past summer, about three hours before my AC mflight, I was in an accident and taken to hospital. Very luckily I didn't break anything, so no cast, etc.; but I was pretty banged up and my left arm and hand were out of commission.

When I pre-boarded my rebooked flight that night, I just asked the FA if she would mind very much helping me use the overhead bin. She had no issue with that at all, surprisingly kind and co-operative in fact.

Just ask nicely. Have a good flight.

TOA13B
Old Jan 12, 2013, 4:04 pm

Programs: AC UA TK FI DL
As the saying goes, "can't haul it yourself, then don't bring it"

You may have some helpful people who would help you out, but never rely on it.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 4:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Don't forget other times you'll be required to lift. For instance, if transiting to the US, you are required to lift your checked bag onto the belt when rechecking it.

How about shipping things ahead?
Old Jan 12, 2013, 4:10 pm

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
FAs are, it has been reported on here, not *obliged* to help passengers with bags. But that doesn't mean they won't. Most will if it doesn't interfere with them getting everyone on board and the plane away quickly (and they're not just having a bad day!).

You may have quicker luck asking a nearby passenger to assist (esp if there's a quick way to explain why you can't lift it ["Could you help lift my bag, I've injured my back"]). I'd certainly recommend putting your rollerbag on the seat and standing out of the aisle quickly though if you can (so that you're not inconveniencing anyone you might need to ask for help!).

Re the "good looking woman" issue - some of us men are shallow. A gentleman will help anyone who needs assistance, of course, regardless of gender or attractiveness (or grandmotherliness, as pointed out above!).

Anyway, the worst that can happen is someone rolls their eyes and then helps you. Ten minutes later you'll have forgotten all about it. And that'll be 9 minutes after they forgot all about it!

My summary advice - put your roller on your seat and stand between your seat and the seat in front (off the aisle). Look for a gentlemanly-looking man and ask nicely for his assistance. You'll be fine.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 4:12 pm

i wouldnt sweat too much over it, i am sure there will be a few kind souls that will be able to assist you..... AC FA's are typically very good at responding to such assistance as well.... just tell the service director (the first FA that greets you when you board) that you need assistance.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 4:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
I would be very surprised if a FA refused to help you stow your luggage in the overhead compartments - especially if you're SE.

In the safety video they even show them helping!
Old Jan 12, 2013, 4:20 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Hi FTers,

I really need your help on an upcoming trip. I will be traveling YYZ-YVR (hopefully in J, if my e-upgrade clears).

My doctors have advised that I can travel, but can't lift anything more than 10 pounds. I will have a small carry-on bag, will weigh approximately 15-18 pounds. I am wondering if the FA will kindly help to put my roller in the overhead bin before we take off, and take it for me out at the end of the flight. That's all the 'extra' help I really need from the FA.

Is it possible? Do I need to inform AC reservations in advance, the check-in agent, or the gate agent, or no one and just ask the FA when I board? Please advise.
Whether a midget or a gimp help is available

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...300er-77w.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.